Help with 11-day Slovenia itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going on a solo trip to Slovenia for 11(ish) days in the second half of May, flying into and out of Zagreb airport and renting a car from there. Have drafted the below itinerary but still have some free time to fill on days 9-11. A little bit about me and my interests... I'm 41, enjoy hiking but not longer than half-day hikes, bike rides, interested in scenery (mountains/rivers/lakes/valleys), minimal interest in caves, not interested in kayaking/climbing/zip lining etc. No interest in wine either.

I know the obvious way to fill the gap in my itinerary would be to visit Piran/Koper but I wasn't impressed by what I've seen online. I guess as a last resort I can visit Trieste or Zagreb but I'd rather avoid that since I'll have a car.

Would really appreciate some feedback on the overall itinerary and ideas on how I can fill the gap either by suggesting new places or longer stays at existent ones. Thanks!

1 Pick up car from Zagreb airport, drive to Ljubljana arriving at 6pm. Overnight at Ljubljana

2 Explore Ljubljana. Overnight at Ljubljana

3 Ljubljana to Logar Valley. Overnight at Logar Valley

4 Logar Valley to Kamniska Bistrica valley, Velika Planina and Kamnik town. Overnight at Logar Valley

5 Logar Valley to Bled. Explore Lake Bled. Overnight at Bled

6 Bled to Vintgar gorge, Lake Bohinj and Savica Waterfall. Overnight at Bled

7 Bled to Zelenci Nature Reserve, Lake Jasna, Vrsic Pass, Bovec > Kobarid. Overnight at Kobarid

8 Kobarid to Kozjak Waterfall and Tolmin Gorge. Overnight at Kobarid

9 Kobarid to Postojna Cave and Prejdama Castle + ???. Overnight at ??

10 ???

11 Drop off car at Zagreb airport @ 6pm
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 08:16 PM
kho

Unsure what the high mountain pass roads will be like in May, it will be pushing it on some of these things, but maybe ok? We were there in July when everything was green, so I can't fully speak to May.

I would add a couple nights in the Logar Valley. There are so many valleys, tourist farms, hikes, etc. in that area that you aren't leaving time for. We've been to most of the areas you're listing in Slovenia and by far our favorite was the Logar Valley. The culture, the people, the peaceful pace. You should allow space and time to drive around to the different tourist farms, drive the Panoramic Road, walk the Robanov Kot, Matkov Kot. Some of our favorite memories were going for dinner at a tourist farm where the family would serve us a 4 course organic farm to table meal for around $10. We experienced this at dozens of different farms.

Velika Planina should be given at least a half day to leisurely walk about, talk to the local shepherds, buy some cheeses, etc.
Some of your other days feel a bit crammed. Walking the gorges are each around half a day if you're not rushing.

Enjoy. Slovenia is incredible!
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 08:30 PM

I've been to many of these places but not all. I think I'd just add time to the places you've already selected and allow a bit more time at each.

You won't want or need a car in Ljubljana so I'd consider taking public transport (bus/train) from Zagreb to Ljubljana (and back again) and hire the car in Ljubljana. If you think you'll end up in Ljubljana at the end as well as the beginning, perhaps consider heading directly to Bled on arrival in Slovenia and cluster your time in Ljubljana to the end (or vice versa).
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 05:12 AM

We really enjoyed Zagreb. So one option is to spend your last night or two in Zagreb. You could return your car to the airport first, or a downtown location, and then take a taxi to your hotel. And then take a taxi back to the airport on the day you fly out. Zagreb is a very interesting city that is very different from Ljubljana so you will have a nice mix of cities.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 07:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Slovenia is beautiful, enjoy your trip.
Please do remember that Slovenia needs a toll vignette for using its motorways, check if your rental car will include this or plan to buy one prior to crossing the border. More here https://www.slovenia.info/en/plan-yo...lovenia-by-car
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. Shame they came in after I had made all bookings.
@Anuj - Yes, I'm aware of the vignette requirement. I'll buy one online as soon as I pick up the car and know the registration number.