Seeking input on Dundee and Glasgow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been over a year since I've been well enough to travel, and the medication that now has me feeling almost normal suppresses my immune system, which makes me reluctant to get on a plane. But I am planning a trip to the UK for mid September - end of October. I'm aiming to visit London for at least one day of Open House (Sep 22-23) and then take the Caledonian Sleeper up to Scotland. I will visit friends living near Glasgow, but was thinking of also visiting Dundee and perhaps Perth.

I don't feel a need to revisit Edinburgh on this trip, and in Glasgow I have already seen the Cathedral, the St. Mungo Museum, Provand's Lordship and the Willow Tea Rooms. I am interested in architecture, especially Art Nouveau, arts and crafts, food and wine, and scenery. I'd appreciate comments on the following itinerary, and especially suggestions for where to stay in Dundee and Glasgow. In Glasgow it looks like the West End would be better for dinner, but the center for getting around.

Sep 24 - Dundee, arrive by 11:00 - Discovery and Verdant
Sep 25 - Dundee, V&A
Sep 26 - Dundee, Glamis Castle
Sep 27 - McManus Gallery, Broughty Ferry, Unicorn or side trip to Perth for Scone Palace

Sep 28 - Oct 3 - Glasgow, visit friends but stay in city

Lighthouse, Tenement House, Mackintosh Church.
House for an Art Lover, Pollok House, Scotland Street School, maybe Holmwood House.
Hunterian, Kelvingrove, Botanic Gardens.
Rabbies day trip to Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond - https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-...hisky-day-tour

Other options: Paisley, Rabbies trip to Culzean Castle and Burns country.

Oct 4 - EasyJet to Jersey
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 01:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Exciting that you are feeling better and can travel again.

I haven't been to Dundee in several years and between the brand new V&A and all the other improvements / attractions it is a real destination. Can't really help with places to stay there now.

As for Glasgow - Me personally, I'd prefer staying in the center. More convenient for transport anywhere - and you'd certainly not go hungry. There are good restaurants and pubs in the center too. Unfortunately my favorite restaurant in Glasgow has closed (Honours by Martin Wishart)

The Park Inn by Radisson has spacious rooms and can usually be had for bargain rates. The check in procedure is semi-weird - no actual front desk but a little dais stuck in a corner. It is dead center between Glasgow Central and Queen street stations so is great for transport.

You could take the short train ride (less than an hour) up to Helensburgh and visit the Hill House, which I'd REALLY try to squeeze in.

I love Culzean - if you can fit it in - highly recommended.

You going to the Channel Islands too? - great.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's been a while since I've been in Dundee, and to be honest I've never liked the town all that much. (Sorry, locals.) I guess I'm not that familiar with where else you've been in Scotland; maybe you could refresh my/our memories and indicate how you came to choose Dundee.

Now that said, Dundee IS close to some terrific towns and scenery, on both sides of the Tay, and up the river too. I do like Broughty Ferry (a couple of pubs in particular) but was wondering if you'd be willing to get a car for part of your stay. If so, then there are a number of places in Angus that are very enjoyable and not too far from Dundee. On the coast, Arbroath is extremely historic and quite picturesque, inland I like Forfar a lot (close to Glamis Castle) and a little farther north and inland, the Angus Glens, such as Glen Clova, are stunning; you might get some decent autumn colo(u)r in late September. And of course much of Fife is just across the bridge from Dundee - St. Andrews, Falkland, the East Neuk fishing villages...

Farther up the Tay, and I'd make an effort to get this far, maybe en route to or from Glasgow, is Fortingall, a lovely little village (and terrific hotel) at the beginning of Glen Lyon, one of the most beautiful glens in all of Scotland in my view. Again, depending on how early autumn is, Glen Lyon in autumn is nothing short of stunning; I've been in the valley when the sun reflects off the yellow leaves in the trees into a low mist covering the ground, turning the whole world into incandescent gold. Here's a picture that does NOT do it justice:

As for Glasgow, I'd probably look for accommodations in the West End or around the University. You can get around pretty easily using public transport. Your list is decent enough; I'd try to include the Cathedral and People's Palace as well. And of course if you're interested in maritime history and shipbuilding, Glasgow is your place. But Glasgow is so big and so diverse that any short stay in the city is going to involve a lot of picking and choosing, depending on your interests and energy level. As for which Rabbies tour to take from Glasgow, pick 'em. I'd probably opt for the Glen Coe/Oban route myself given the time of year, but weather happens in late September in Scotland.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. I'm just hoping the magic pills continue to work and I don't develop some nasty side effect.

Janis - I would love to visit Hill House, but it will be closed from 4 Jul–28 Feb 2019. I was thinking of staying in the new MotelOne that is opening next to Central Station but it doesn't have availability until October. The Park Inn is a bit above my usual budget - I tend more towards B&Bs. I had looked at doing Culzean by public transport, as I'm not really interested in the Burns' sights, but it's a mile trek from the bus stop.

Gardyloo - no, no plans to drive, although the photo is lovely. This trip is more about seeing people near Glasgow, but my trips always expand so I looked at places nearby, and Stirling, Perth and Dundee all looked promising but close enough I really only needed one base. Seems you and Janis have opposite opinions on where to stay in Glasgow!

Last time I was in Scotland I took the train from Glasgow to Mallaig, spent some time on Skye and then took the train to Edinburgh. Of course, there is much more of Scotland, but I don't want to get to the Channel Islands too late in the year - seems their season really ends at the end of September.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 02:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh -- geeze I forgot about Hill House being closed - sorry.

Gardyloo: >>and to be honest I've never liked the town all that much. (Sorry, locals.) <<

I definitely agree . . . re the 'old' Dundee. Best avoided at all costs. But over the last decade or so there has been a lot of new attractions, museums, etc and the V&A will be the icing on the cake. It has been a true renaissance. Even 7-ish years ago when I was last through Dundee/Glamis/Edzell and points northeast things were much improved. The waterfront is being transformed.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

The V&A is definitely why Dundee beats out Perth, for me, plus Glamis is much harder to reach by public transport than Scone. And there seems to be more to see in Dundee.