Search

Seeking ideas about travel blogs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking ideas about travel blogs

Hello Fodorites,

I have always sent daily journal entries home as we travel, and generally produce them on a tablet of some sort. Now my friends and family are asking that I incorporate some photos as well. Since we only take one or two trips a year, I don't want a huge expense maintaining a blog, but am intrigued with the idea of a simple blog or anything else you can suggest. I am no techie, but can work my way through something when I'm motivated!

I usually post an abbreviated/edited version of my journal here as a trip report but I don't want to necessarily share all the personal details with the world at large.

Thanks in advance!

Jane
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 12:59 PM

I use WordPress.com. The app is slightly buggy when it comes to photos so I mostly post through the full website.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 03:02 PM

I have been down this road a bit and have tried a couple of things. Here is a pretty good recent article about free blogging platforms:

https://www.creativebloq.com/web-des...orms-121413634

I finally ended up using blogger (as mentioned in the article it is owned by google) but I think tumblr is worth a look too, especially if you would like it to be photo heavy.

Here is a sample page I did on blogger for the blog I created when we were waiting to get into the Peace Corps. I am not promoting the blog-I don't even keep it up but thought you might like to see what a easy free blog can look like. I set it up in about an hour:

A Passage to Peace Corps: It's Official, We Accepted Our Invitation to Serve in Peace Corps..........

And the editing tools are pretty similar to this forum actually

Last edited by jpie; Apr 12th, 2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use Wordpress. It's free, unless you post a whole lot of photos (I finally ran out of space after seven years). It's also very easy to use. I load photos through the app on my iPad.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 09:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I, too, use Wordpress; specifically the "Business" plan because of its unlimited media capacity. You can begin with the free version, though, and upgrade seamlessly if your writing needs change.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by jane1144
Hello Fodorites,
I don't want a huge expense maintaining a blog, but am intrigued with the idea of a simple blog or anything else you can suggest. I am no techie, but can work my way through something when I'm motivated!
Wordpress can mean

The wordpress.com company which offers hosting. Limited in various ways if you go free.
Wordpress.org that is responsible for the wordpress software
It can mean Wordpress the software package.

The Wordpress software is free. There are various hosting companies offering low cost hosting. Between buying my domain name and the first year of hosting I have one site costing me I think €20 for that first year. The host isn't the fastest but good enough for me.

The free blogging platforms have different limitations. You need to decide for yourself if the limits are bothersome or perfectly acceptable. Blogger for example has design limits. If you want to fine tune the look of your site this might bother you. Or you might not notice. The free hosting from wordpress limits you in other ways. Once again you may not even notice the limits. Or you might hit them fairly quickly.

The best thing is to sign up for one of the free blog sites and see if it's good enough for you. Once you've done it for a few months you'll be in a better situations to decide if you want something more flexible.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:35 AM

BTW if you just want to share photos Flickr is still fairly simple and free to use.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 02:06 AM

Have a look at https://www.travellerspoint.com which is a travel website with a forum and member blogs. I am writing mine there. It's free and allows many layout options, so you can create nice-looking blogs with photos and everything.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 04:44 AM

just do a google search
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have been looking at Wordpress with Bluehost, but wondered if there was something else I should consider. I will check in to your ideas.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 07:04 AM

The reason I went with blogger versus wordpress was that I didn't want to pay a hosting fee. Is wordpress with bluehost free? Just curious-if so I might look at it again.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Assuming I understand the "hosting fee" correctly, you don't need to pay one if you are OK with having wordpress in your URL.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 08:01 AM

I use blogger for my blog. It's totally free. I find the interface easier to use than Word Press and I've never had an issue running out of space for pictures.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by jpie
The reason I went with blogger versus wordpress was that I didn't want to pay a hosting fee. Is wordpress with bluehost free? Just curious-if so I might look at it again.
I don't think so. Wordpress has a free version

https://wordpress.com/pricing/

The free comes with a set of limitations. Different than Blogger but you still don't have full control
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Assuming I understand the "hosting fee" correctly, you don't need to pay one if you are OK with having wordpress in your URL.
If you mean https://wordpress.com it's more than that.

The $4/month is still limited but you don't have the wordpress.com ads. You need to get up to the $25/month options to remove all the limitations.

But there are cheaper options out there. siteground which many people consider a high quality host is much cheaper.

If you're tech handy you can even get your hands dirty and save a bit more.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 09:42 AM

I had a Wordpress site for years and never paid them a penny. I am paying them now only because after so many years I needed more photo space.

I also have a very old website I coded myself for which I pay a hosting fee, but it is peanuts. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 10:10 AM

Wordpress.com starts at FREE and then $4/month if you want some extra features. It is not $4/month minimum. Just click through their plan options and you'll see.

If you're just blogging twice a year to share with family then there is not much to think about. Either Blogger or wordpress will be fine. I've been blogging since my teen days and it's important that I am with my "community." That used to be xanga, and then livejournal, and now wordpress and to a limited extent tumblr. But if you don't need a community it doesn't much matter who hosts your posts.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

The cheapest bluehost I could find was $2.95/month, but then they add on a whole bunch of apps for security and you have to sign up for 36 months
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 12:06 PM

Why use bluehost unless you're looking for a domain name and coding your own website? What's wrong with a free host?
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hnh6
Why use bluehost unless you're looking for a domain name and coding your own website? What's wrong with a free host?
Free wordpress also limits you to

The free themes they include
They run wordpress ads
You can't install plugins

Do any of these things matter to the OP? No idea. But many people sooner or later want to install a plugin or find a theme (free or paid) they like and want to install.

But $3 a month is pretty close to free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -