Seeking feedback Croatia: 2 itineraries

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking feedback Croatia: 2 itineraries

I'm taking off to Croatia in 3 weeks.
I would appreciate your critique. I came up with 2 itineraries..

This is not negotiable
Arrive in Split: 09/23
Take off from Dubrovnik: 09/29

Now, everything is negotiable...
09/23: Stroll around Split (I'm already in Europe..so I won't be jet lagged)
09/24: Ferry to Hvar
09/25: Hvar
09/26: 1- Go back to Split and get a bus to Dubrovnik?
2- Or take a ferry to Dubrovnik?
09/27: Dubrovnik
09/28: Day trip from Dubrovnik to the 3 islands that everybody goes to ...
09/29: More Dubrovnik - take off to Brussels at 2PM

Or......

Instead of this itinerary, use Split as my base..do a day-trip to Hvar and a day trip to Plitvice Park.

I would be letting go the opportunity to enjoy the nightlife at Hvar but, on the other hand, I would be able to visit the Park

We're two women 26 years..We will be doing a , let's put it this way, a very girlie backpacking adventure.

Thank you!!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:16 AM

09/23: Arrive, Stroll around Split
09/23: Day trip to Plitvice, back to Split
09/24: Ferry to Hvar
09/25: Hvar
09/26: Ferry to Dubrovnik
09/27: Dubrovnik
09/28: Day trip from Dubrovnik to the 3 islands that everybody goes to ..., or check at other options once you get there as there are lots of things to see
09/29: More Dubrovnik - take off to Brussels at 2PM
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:35 AM

Your daytrip to Plitvice will be a really, really long day. It is worth it though!

Instead of going to the 3 islands everyone goes to, just go to Lopud. I talked to several people when we were in Croatia that did that trip and they all said to just go to Lopud. The rest are a waste of time. We spent all day on Lopud and loved it. On the opposite side of the island from where the ferry leaves you is a long sandy beach. Very clean, but also pretty shallow water. There is a good bar and restaurant, right there on the sand so it's a fun place to stay.

The bus to Dubrovnik is quicker than the ferry and quite comfortable.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Braziliantraveller--
I posted an earlier thread a month or two ago about drive time between Split and Plitvice-- I think it was Images that recommended that I check www.viamichelin.com, which is a good resource. It says the drive should take about 3-31/2 hours, if I remember correctly. It will certainly be a long trip, but after everything I've heard, I don't think it is an option for me to miss Plitvice!

Funny, too, that your first suggested itinerary and my own are almost exactly the same. Here's ours:

9/24: Arrive from US into Split, ferry to Hvar
9/25: Hvar
9/26: Ferry back to Split, bus to D'nik
9/26-9/29 D'nik, with day trips (Montenegro, islands, Mostar?)
9/29: Late (21:00) flight D'nik-Split, overnight in Trogir
9/30: Drive to Plitvice and explore
10/1: Return to Split for flight to Prague
10/3: Return to US from Prague

The front and end of this trip in Croatia will be a little hectic, but I think it's worth it to see Plitvice. As Syl mentioned, hopefully you both can join us for dinner in D'nik on the 27th. Let me know if you need any further help organizing your trip. Good luck!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM

I recommend using a catamaran instead of the ferry for going between Split and Hvar. The catamaran takes about half the time.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

What company would you recommend me using for the catamarans? Thank you.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Jadrolinja have a catamaran. The price is the same as the slow ship - but much quicker. Also, the catamaran leave from Hvar town rather than Stari Grad which is more convenient.

I would definitely recommend you do a trip to Plitvice and stay overnight. It is a magical place.

The bus trip from Split to Dubrovnik is amazing - don't miss it.

Have fun!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Hi again!

I see one possible flaw in your day trips to Plitvice. They are on Saturdays. Hopefully things will be different in late September,than they were on Saturday, July 1, when we made this trip, because so many cars from Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic were on the wonderful road, that the tunnels were horribly backed up. Some of the tunnels aren't completed, so both directions of traffic narrow down to use the one tunnel that's open, and it took 1 1/2 extra hours in stop and go traffic just to get through 2 of the tunnels.

Since European holidays are over, hopefully this won't be the case any longer, but it might be a good question to put out there.

There are 2 entrances at the park. We started at Entrance 1 and thought it was a great way to do the walk, since you walk towards the larger waterfalls and get a better view of the falls this way. Some say it's more of an uphill walk this way, but if it is, it's still not difficult at all. Have a great time!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Hey, Brazilian traveler, what a coincidence! I'm also Brazilian and will be going there, but in October with my boyfriend.

Our trip will be 2 instead of 1 week long, and we're a bit ambitious with the possible itinerary:

18 - Varazdin, Zagreb
19 - Plitvice Lakes National Park
20 - Zadar, Pag
21 - Sibenik, Kornati or Krka National Park, or Trogir, Solin
22 - Split
23 - Split/Dubrovnik
24 - Dubrovnik
25 - Mljet, Korcula
26 - Hvar
27 - Rijeka, Opatija
28 - Pula
29 - Pula/Rovinj
30 - Porec
31 - Porec - Venice

But people around here are discouraging all this hopping...

Can anyone help with other itineraries and tips for a 2-week period?

We do have to come through Varazdin/Zagreb, since we'll be coming in by bus from Vienna...

Obrigada!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM

Hi, I am from Split. Since you are coming to Croatia litle out of season I dont recommend you going to Hvar because there is no nightlife in September.Maybe just a day to see the Hvar is enough.It is 1 hour with ferry from Split. In September in Split you can find whery cheap accomodation near the city.You can go also on one day trip tp Plitvice 2 hours from Split.
If you chose to go to Dubrovnik i recommend going with bus from Split.It is 3,5 hour journey. It takes much longer to get to Dubrovnik at the peak of the season (between july and 31.08.2006)
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Oi gabilein,

Que legal!!

Vamos falar um pouco em portugues, aqui. (o pessoal vai ficar meio louco).

Acho seu roteiro bem inteligente..Entao, primeiro voces atacam a Dalmatian Coast e depois sobem para Veneza (eu estou indo pra Veneza hoje!!)

Comentarios:
1- A nao ser que voce queira fazer a Costa Spli-Dubrovnik de onibus/carro, pois falam que eh linda!! Voce pode fazer a descida da Costa atraves de Hvar.

Eu vou fazer Split-Hvar (1 hora de catamaran); dai Hvar-Dubrovnik (3,5 hs. de onibus). Mas se estivesse com carro, parece que voce vai estar eu ficaria com o seu roteiro mesmo.

2- Nao sei que tipo de viagem voce eh mais "into". Mas depois de varias viagens de muita batecao de perna, hoje aprecio mais ficar 2 dias em um lugar...

Achei esse seu roteiro um pouco (quer dizer, muito) audacioso.. Talvez fosse melhor voce fazer um "slimming down" e pular Pula...ficar mais tempo em Hvar, mais tempo em Dubrovnik e de la ir direto para Veneza ...

De la eu escrevo..

Abraco..
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:23 PM

ola, braziliantraveller! que legal sua resposta

sim, vamos fazer split-dubrovnik de carro pela tal estrada... imagino q vc esteja por aih agora, certo?

vou adorar ouvir ses comentarios pos-viagem... alias, se tiver dicas de Veneza tb, melhor ainda!

(incl. de onde ficar a precos razoaveis -- nada em reais eh mto razoavel, mas enfim...)

e soh pra encerrar, de onde vc eh no Brasil?

abs de boa viagem,
gabriela
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gabi,
I'm Sorry it too me so long..I'm from Curitiba!

On Croatia, 1 word: LOVED. It's magical, a mix of beach environment and history. It's a carefree, laid-back, tourism experience. It's crime free. People are super warm. I will definetely go back!

One day in Split was good enough. We stayed at this charming brand new apartment - Zephyrus - 2 minutes from the Old City. And the breakfast on the courtyard was amazing. We paid somewhere around E120.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rus-Split.html

Two days in Hvar were good but if you wanna chill out a little bit more that's the perfect spot to be. We got this apartment (5 minutes from the beach and from the main square) for E 40/ night. The owner was so welcoming - and picked us up on the port and 2 days later took us to the bus station.

Link on tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ovic-Hvar.html

And on Dubrovnik we splurged. We got this 3 bedroom apartment for 100 british pounds. I felt I was in a 5 star hotel. Amazing! 3 minutes from the main gate to the Old City.

http://goldgetaways.sent.com/

With regards to driving down to Dubrovnik, I think that's such a great idea. We regret not having doing so. We went to Hvar and did not want to go back to Split. So, we ended up on a cruise that took 7 boring hours to go from Hvar to Dubrovnik. (We lost one day inside this ship and, worst, inside a restaurant putting up with drunk Germans singing the whole time. Yes, there's no proper seat to passenger that are just island hopping in Croatia. You just get a room if you got the ship for a longer trip). So, by all means, if you go to HVAR do take the 1-hour ferry trip back to SPLIT.

Since you've asked me about Venice. I had a great time there. We did not want to spend much. So, we ended up on this 1-star hotel for E135/night on a our 2-night trip. It was good 'cause it was 3 minutes from the Piazza San Marco. But, really, don't expect much. It IS a 1-star hotel. Hotel Riva.

www.hotelriva.it

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Thanks so much, Brazilian traveler! I just came back from my trip (I was in Venice, London, and Miami after Croatia) and totally agree with you. Although their beach culture is, let's just say, not as developed as ours, the Dalmatian coast is indeed a fascinating and unique mix of beach culture and history. Also LOVED it.

As for Venice, also unique but a bit too touristy, huh?? London, on the other hand, just rocks! Do you live there?

I'm from Rio but live in Sao Paulo.

All the best!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM

By the way, I stayed in private rooms (sobes) all the time spending only 15 euros or so per day for a couple and it was fine! Supersafe and clean.

Our final itinerary was a bit similar to the one I originally posted, only with more days in Split and Dubrovnik and less island hopping (Hvar was the only one, but gorgeous!). It was awesome to rent a car, I'd definitely recommend it!

If anyone wants more details, I can post a trip report later...