Seeking advice from Fodor's Barcelona experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you please recommend a few "fun" restaurants, perhaps that have some sort of entertainment, for this coming New Year's Eve? For this evening, we are more concerned with having a good time that we are with having a fine dining experience.

We are considering Cinq Sentits, but question whether we'll be able to reserve...they're not posting their NYE plan until November. Besides, I don't believe they have entertainment.

Are there any restaurants near where the NYE fireworks are displayed which may fit the bill?

Alternatively, do you recommend any bars/clubs where we can ring in the new year? We're in our mid 40's and are not looking for wild disco, or that sort of thing. Music, dancing, a show...something memorable!

Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I was in Barcelona last New Year's Eve, and I was surprised at how few bars and restaurants seemed to be open. My impression was that it was like Christmas in the UK, with people at home with their families (bar staff likewise): whereas our NYE would see bars and restaurants adding on door-charges and reservation requirements
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, Patrick. From my research, it seems as though many Barcelonans (?) stay home with their families to ring in the new year, then go out and party all night! Well, I'm too old for that, but...I'm told that there are some restaurants/bars/clubs that do have package-type celebrations. I'm having trouble locating them. Maybe it's too early for them to be advertising, so I wonder if anyone here knows of one or two they might suggest.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:36 AM

As already mentioned by Patrick, very few restaurants will be open on NYE. Cinc Sentits accepts reservations no more than two weeks in advance, so you will have to wait for a while yet to see what they will be offering.

Bars in most of the hotels will be open on NYE, including bars at the Hotels Omm, 1898, Majestic and Diplomatic.

You can check out the following clubs/cocktail bars to see what they are planning for NYE:

Bestial, Sugar Club, Noti, Buda, Bucaro, Nick Havana, Luz de Gas and Gaudi" La Pedrera.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Robert. I will check into all your suggestions. Would La Paloma be too young of a crowd for us?
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:10 AM

I can't tell you anything about La Paloma from firsthand experience, but from the reviews I've read, it has a mixed crowd in the early evening and really gets going after midnight. There are several reviews listed on Virtual Tourist you can check.

(http://www.virtualtourist.com/)