Seeking advice about Extremadura, Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Spain in October to see the Andalucían White Towns and Seville, both of which we missed on our first Spain trip 10 years ago. Since we are flying into Madrid, we thought we would explore some towns in Extremadura on our way south. I’d prefer to take the train from Madrid to Cáceres, but I cannot locate an automatic transmission car rental in Cáceres to then drive south to Andalucía, so I am renting one in Madrid. Does anyone know about parking in Cáceres, or about a parking garage there called Parking Obizpo Galarza? Also, does anyone know about walking tours in Cáceres and Trujillo? Extremadura seems remote and little-traveled, making it charming and intimidating at the same time. I’d appreciate feedback on this proposed itinerary.

Day 1 &2: Arrive in Madrid, revisit El Prado and other favorites
Day 3 & 4: Drive to Cáceres, stay 2 nights, visit Cáceres and Trujillo
Day 5: Drive to Arcos de la Frontera with a short detour to Zafra, (stay 3 nights in Arcos), explore Arcos
Day 6: Visit Cadiz and Jerez
Day 7: Visit Rhonda, Grazalema and Zahara
Day 8: Drive to Seville, turn in car, tour Seville
Day 9, 10, 11: Tour Seville
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 11:58 AM

Andalucia and Extremadura

If what you're planning on is a road trip, your itinerary will work. You'll be covering about 1000 km. If you want to see things and enjoy the area, then the itinerary is a bit rushed.

Parking Obizpo Galarza is a parking garage in a building near Plaza de la Concepción. You can park on the street (paid parking), or if you're staying at a hotel, then they might have secure parking.

Cádiz and Jerez can easily consume a full day each, depening on what you want to see and do. Doing Ronda, Grazalema and Zahara in a single day would be difficult. Cáceres and Trujillo are easily done on your own, but have you forgotten about Mérida, the capital of Extremadura? Mérida is home to the most impressive and extensive Roman ruins in all of Spain.

Last edited by Robert2016; Jul 23rd, 2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Correct spelling for Ronda
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 07:42 PM

Extremadura is well worth a detour! And as Robert says, Merida is impressive for its Roman ruins. I did Trujillo as a day tour from Caceres. In Caceres I recommend staying at the Parador, they may offer parking.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Robert2016 and cruiseluv. Your comments are very helpful. I am busy rearranging my itinerary!