Seek Update on Rome

Search

Seek Update on Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seek Update on Rome

We are in our 60's. We head for our first trip to Rome on June 15. We have arranged for a private tour guide to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, etc.

Can someone who has been to Rome recently share things not to miss, including restaurants--I need a special restaurant for my wife's June 16 birthday? If there are things to avoid I would be interested in them as well.

Grazie!

Anthony
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:37 AM
ira

Hi P,

If you enter "Rome and Restaurant" (without quotes)in the "search tis forum box" you will get more reviews than you need.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:05 AM

My BD is June 17 so Happy Happy to your wife. When we were there in April, we really enjoyed our dinner at Ristorante Il Gabriello. Small and mostly local diners, the food was fantastic, wine selection wonderful and service.

It is listed in Rick Steve's book.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:06 AM

One more thing...make sure you make advanced reservations for the Borghese Gallery and picnic in the gardens before or after.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Ira,

Thanks. I realize there are books, websites with thousands of restaurants. I was asking Fodorites for their selection of a special restaurant--from personal experience.

This kind of information is invaluable. As you probably know I share as well ask. Rome will be new to me,however, thus the question.

Hope you are well and getting ready to travel.

Anthony
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM

I love Il Gabriello and have been dining there for eight years, thanks to a very handsome Roman taxi driver.

I am actually a little disappointed that Rick Steeves mentions this. Perhaps that was why there were so many Americans there in January.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:21 AM

Anthony,

The roof top restaurant at Grande Hotel delle Minerva near Pantheon square is quite lovely and the views unbelievable. At least stop in for a drink in the evening for a stunning panorama!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM

<< I was asking Fodorites for their selection of a special restaurant--from personal experience.>>

Powell,

The open-ended nature of your question leads me to think that perhaps you have not already searched this Europe forum.

As mentioned above, if you enter "Rome and Restaurant" (without quotes) in the "search this forum box" on this page you will get many Fodorites (including me) giving you their selection of a special restaurant in Rome--from personal experience.

You will also discover a wealth of personal advice on things not to miss as well as things to avoid.

I believe this insiders tip was given to you in a spirit of genuine helpfulness.

After you have read the many Rome threads from your "search", please come back with any clarifying questions - everyone here is always happy to help.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM

Anthony,

My sister and I just returned from Rome--I will try to get some info together within the next few days or so, although I'm sure we have nothing special enough for your wife's birthday.

Off the top of my head, I would say it was very, very hot and we ended up going much slower than I have on previous trips to Rome--and we're very fit in our 30s. My feet were killing me, and I've never had that problem in Rome or Paris or anywhere before. I think the heat made them swell (I know, not the most savory image). So make sure your wife takes several pairs of comfortable shoes.

For casual-but-good, we enjoyed da Olindo in Trastevere.

I will check my notes, and there's also a recent thread about a gentleman's recent trip to Rome, Venice and Northern Italy with detailed restaurant descriptions.

Have a wonderful time. I'm jealous!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:35 AM
ira

>I believe this insiders tip was given to you in a spirit of genuine helpfulness. <

Yup.

Thanx, bardo

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM

I just got back from Rome. Check out my trip report in - Rome, Venice and Northern Italy May 2005.

Myles
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM

Anthony, thanks for your many helpful posts on Provence...

I suggest you seek out Elaine here. She's offered her "file" on Rome (including restaurants) by requesting it from her by email. I've done so and downloaded it and it's a treasure!