Search

Seehotel Sonne

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seehotel Sonne

I had thought that we would stay at the Radisson Blu at Zurich airport, until I saw the price. Really don't want to spend that much on an Airport Hotel.

Was thinking of Seehotel Sonne in Kusnacht. Our flight is at 11:55AM.

Any thoughts, alternatives?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 03:40 AM

Hi wrenwood,

Yes, I've stayed there two times and adore it. It has a garden bar/restaurant right on the lake that's great for a last night in the country. The staff is young and very nice.

The hotel sits just across the street from the train station; in fact, as you exit the tunnel you use to cross the busy street, you emerge at the entrance to the hotel. There are a few direct (no changes) train to the airport every hour.

Küsnacht is a great town; a friend of mine used to live nearby. It has a park at the lake and two big grocery stores for the last-minute chocolate to bring back.

Have fun!

s
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks swandav! I think it was because of one of your posts that I bookmarked it as a place to stay sometime.

Any idea how long it might take to drive to the Airport if we still have a car?

YES! Last minute chocolate! We never bring enough home!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:59 AM
hsv

Very nice hotel with pleasant rooms that have wooden floors. The restaurant is far above average, their terrace overlooking the lake and shaded by some shrubs is great.
Home-made jams for breakfast.
Great location lakeside and just across the street from the station.
It takes about 15 min. into the city centre (Zurich) by train and about 25 min. to the airport without changes. Driving to the airport would also take about 30 min. if traffic is clear.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Sorry, no idea. I wouldn't dream of driving -- yukyuk!

s
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wanted to stop by for a coffee last week. All parking spaces were taken - many by luxury cars. There's a ferry station right in front of the hotel.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Have sent an email but haven't heard back from them yet.

Any other places in that area or close to the airport?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Almost a week since I sent my 2 original emails to [email protected] ~ and 2 days since I sent another via the website.

this is not looking good..................

Any other places in that area or close to the airport?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 03:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
wrenwood -

Regarding the Radisson Blu - they have really good weekend rates...don't suppose you're there during the weekend?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

no, we will be flying back on a Thursday.

They quoted advance/non refundable @ chf296 and AAA @ chf355 ~ excluding breakfast (and I forgot to ask about parking fees should we still have our car)
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Bummer. I feel your pain.

Their weekend rate was the only reason we were able to stay there before our return flight - 195 CHF.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM

I checked the Marriott Courtyard between Zurich and the airport and rates are only a bit less than the Radisson Blu, at 274-304 chf, but breakfast is included. You could try pulling up a map of the area near the Zurich airport on one of the hotel booking sites to search for hotels in the area and check prices. I am blown away by the cost of hotels in Switzerland.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:13 PM
hsv

If you want reliable quality, the Four Points Sheraton Sihl City offers normally decent rates and some freshly decorated rooms. The downside is that it's in a shopping mall with some sterile surroundings. But the city centre is close and easily reachable by tram or train (stop and station opposite the hotel). Ask them for a room at the end away from the bar area, though. I prefer it over the above mentioned Courtyard, where the surroundings do even less for me.

However, why don't you simply book through the Sonne's website without exchanging e-mails? Might be an option, although I agree that they should reply to e-mails. A bit surprising as the Sonne's service is normally very personable.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

I sent one more email to them. I really don't understand. I got the automated reply that they had received my emails, both previously and this morning. I did have some questions that I didn't see answered on the website. I always like to book via email rather than an online booking. I think the way a business responds to your emails says a lot about the service you will receive when you are there. That's what worries me about Sonne. Maybe they are having problems of some type.

I don't mind paying a price to stay somewhere that's wonderful, and I love staying at a place that says "Switzerland" our last night before we leave. I just don't want to spend a lot to stay in an Airport Hotel.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:00 AM
hsv

I understand and agree in principle.
My last stay the the Sonne dates back about a year. I found it quite good then.
Unfortunately in my epxerience the (not too hefty) price bracket and its location make the Sonne relatively unique. Maybe others can offer more help.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Anyone want to send them an email and see if you get a reply?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Maybe call them?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

I'm in the US, and I'm not going to spend the money for an international call to a business who hasn't bothered to email me (can you tell I'm getting a little frustrated and annoyed?)
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:06 PM

I'm sorry you are having trouble with the Hotel Sonne, as it is probably my favorite memory of Zurich.

We were in Zurich just a few weeks ago, but stayed with friends on the other side of the lake.

I stayed at the Sonne for two weeks, while I attended the Summer Institute at the Jung Institute right there in Kusnacht, and loved every minute even though it was beastly hot even for mid-summer. But it was many years ago.

I would simply call them on the phone. Do you have one of those numbers that make for cheap overseas calls? It would be worth while, though it is a popular place I am certain. Its location alone, near train, and right at a boat stop, would make it very popular, and that garden terrace was so special. Good luck!!
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

no email response this morning...............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -