Seeds? APHIS is clear as mud on this!

Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Seeds? APHIS is clear as mud on this!

We have brought back seeds for our garden in prior years. Then when I looked at the regulations it was clear that seeds were allowed. Now I am just talking about vegetable seeds-haricot verts, cornichons, mange-touts and petit pois- for personal use. We bought them at the BHV so no foreign yucky soil on them. When I look at APHIS (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/) now I can't tell if I can or can't bring back seeds. Does anyone have experience with this? TIA
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:03 AM

Some of those "agriculture" rules are so contorted, you may never figure it out, and probably two-thirds of the custom officers don't understand them either. While I'm usually one for playing by the rules, I suggest you buy them, put them in your luggage and bring them home. If confiscated, you will surely not be fined -- they don't seem to do that to innocent tourists on agricultural items -- even an apple in the purse. What's the worst that can happen -- they take them? And frankly the odds of them being confiscated are about 1 in a million.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:36 AM

I am in full agreement with Patrick's suggestion. We brought back vegetable seeds (to Canada) last spring and they were one of our fondest souvenirs. We particularly enjoyed some of the lettuce varieties which seemed more hearty and less prone to bolt than our usual choices. Look for some frisee seeds and "older" types.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM

I agree. If you want to probe further, you can find a fascinating discussion with a real-life custom's agent on the chowhound website:

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/3539...ms%20questions
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:34 AM

I was told that certain plants can be a problem for local plants, never heard that a veggie was though. Customs will take anything with soil (dirt) on them. Tulip bulbs are allowed.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:45 AM

I'm not sure where on that USDA website you saw a problem. But in any case, I think that is addresseng importation for commercial purposes.

According to the US Customs and Border Protection website, travelers may bring back seeds, but you are required to declare them.