Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Second trip to Europe, where should we go?

Oct 26th, 2001, 03:45 PM
susie

A girlfriend and I are planning our second trip to Europe this March (no husbands or kids, just girl fun). We will only have 5 nights. Can anyone offer advice as to where we should go? I know it's a very broad subject, but I'm really having trouble narrowing down my search. What would be good for 5 days? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Oct 26th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Renee

Hi Susie,

Where did you go on your first trip to Europe? That may narrow things down a bit.

Oct 26th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Vita

Not sure where you went the first time, but if you only have 5 nights, I'd suggest Rome or some other capital city. I just got back from ROme and I loved it.

Oct 26th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Bob

With only 5 days I would hit one of the big cities you have not seen yet and do it right. #1 Paris. #2 London #3 Rome. Those are the basic cities everyone needs to see sometime in their life. After that, we love Bavaria. Great scenery, good beer and food. But do your research and find what interests you. This forum can throw out ideas, but you know what you enjoy.

The one bit of advice I will tell you is to not make the 5 days a "change hotel every night trip." Concentrate on one area, unpack and really get to know that area. It is a much better way to travel.

Oct 26th, 2001, 04:04 PM
George

I'm not sure where you went on your first trip but London & Paris are both outstanding. We visited the two cities on our first trip to Europe and now planning our third, keep going back.

In London, we enjoy the history and pubs. London Walks (www.walks.com) provides numerous guided walks throughout the city.

In Paris, we enjoyed the art, food and wine. The museums are outstanding and the people are much friendlier than you often hear.

Good luck!

Oct 26th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Linda

That's a very short time. Since you have been before, places most miss the first time but are great places to visit: Berlin (history of 20th century, culture with opera/symphony/museums, shopping, good food, friendly people, reasonable prices. Vienna with its culture, coffee shops, wine cafes, shopping. Prague with its beautiful architecture, inexpensive prices, culture, did I mention shopping. Budapest with very inexpensive prices, shopping, culture, different atmosphere.
Munich with its culture, beer halls, central location for Bavaria. Smaller towns are Interlaken and Florence.

Oct 26th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Gigi

Without knowing where you visited before, it's difficult to suggest anything. Prague would be a terrific area, as would Lisbon or Barcelona. These cities are fascinating and would certainly hold your interest for 5 days.
Lisbon was quite warm when I visited it in March, mostly 60's and 70's. Barcelona was also nice, much more Spanish feeling than Madrid. There is a lot to do there with opportunites for daytrips.
It all depends on your interests, Susie.

Oct 27th, 2001, 09:36 AM
susie

I forgot to mention...we went to London and had a great time there! I was considering Paris or Rome. Thanks to all for the advice. Do you recommend Rome over Vienna AND is it true that there is a travel advisory for Italy for Americans right now?

Oct 27th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Linda

Rome and Vienna are so different. Rome has the monuments and the Vatican. Vienna has the cultural as well as possible day trips to Bratislava, Salzburg or Budapest (need more than 1 day for the last two but you can get a taste).

Oct 27th, 2001, 10:45 AM
carol

Though my favorite country to visit is Italy, if you have only 5 days and want to stay in one city, I'd recommend Paris. Rome is so unlike most of Italy that it can give a distorted impression of Italy, and although there's obviously a tremedous amount to see and do and Rome, it CAN be unpleasant. I would not recommend going to Rome unless you are ALSO going to spend at least two weeks in other less hectic parts of Italy on the same trip. In general, I'm not a lover of big cities--but Paris is the exception.

Oct 27th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Vita

Perhaps my impression of Rome is a bit skewed since tourism has been low lately, but I found it pretty easy to escape the craziness of Rome when I needed too. I would just go to the less touristed areas like Castello Sant'Angelo or Gianicolo or just take a walk down one of the smaller side streets. This gave me the peace I so desperately needed on occasion. I stayed five nights and found my stay in Rome wholly pleasant.

Susie, I was just thinking that, if you're going in March you might also want to think about how close it will be to Easter and also the weather. For example, I personally am a little sensitive to cold weather and would probably prefer a place with a warmer climate in March. Wherever you go, it's Europe! You're bound to have a great time.

Oct 27th, 2001, 03:38 PM
meg

Susie,
Yes there's a state dept warning for Italy, stating that American interests may be targeted. However, I just got back from 2 weeks there and had no problems. Hey at least there's no anthrax there.

5 days would be plenty for Rome but if that's the only city you're going to in Italy, do a side trip to Capri, Sorrento, Pompei or Naples, or even 2 side trips. That way you get to see more than just the city. Was a little to similar to NY for my taste, though the Sistine Chapel alone is worth the trip.

Oct 27th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Rex

Rome will definitely have better weather in March. If you go, be sure and check out www.twenj.com (Traveling with Ed'n'Julie) - - a wonderful website and an endearing memorial to its creator, Ed Gehrlein, 1937-2001.

Oct 28th, 2001, 04:05 AM
cheryl

I'd recommend Paris...my husband and I
went there and fell in love with it.
But Paris is the Spring, strolling along
the Seine with your husband is different
than traveling with a female. We can't
wait to go back. We're going to Rome
in January and looking forward to it.
We have a friend there who assured us
the Italians are very supportive of the
American people at this time. Have a