Reload this Page >

Paris hotels - need help deciding

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Linda

I could use some help deciding on a Paris hotel. I've done a lot of Web-based checking and narrowed my choice to Bonaparte (6 em), Caron de Beaumarchaise, Champ de Mars, Grades Ecoles or Hotel de L'Universite. I'll be in Paris for a week in early December. As I'm travelling alone, I need a safe neighbourhood, to be close to a Metro, with a few cafes nearby for breakfast or light suppers. I speak French, so English-speaking staff isn't that important. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 08:44 AM
x

I advise you book soon. Even in December the good hotels can fill fast, as a rule.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 11:21 AM
isobel

Linda, <BR>My first choice would be the Bonaparte because the 6em is my favourite arrondissment. It's a lovely lively area with lots of interesting little streets, shops and markets. I travel alone and feel very safe there. I've heard les Grandes Ecoles is charming but haven't stayed there. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage! <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 01:28 PM
xxx

Agnes, I'm going to assume you simply weren't aware that you are not allowed to promote your business on Fodors. Please stop. This is about the third message topic where you've tried to sell your services. C'est assez!

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Christina

I haven't stayed at one of those but I'd say they are all in safe areas, close to metro stops, and will have cafes nearby. The Hotel de l'universite is only a couple blocks from the Bonaparte, really. If I were going to be picky, I'd be slightly less likely to stay in that location because it's a little farther to the metro stop (not that far, maybe 4 blocks) and I don't like rue Bonaparte that much, it's kind of narrow and crowded. Personally, I would choose the Grande Ecoles because I like that neighborhood, there are lots of good small restaurants and cafes there. They are all good choices from what I've read and heard, so don't think you can go too far wrong.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Don and Linda

Hi Linda, <BR> <BR>We stayed at Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais last November and wrote about it in a travelogue that's posted on our web site http://www.thetravelzine.com - see France, Paris - Fall 2000. <BR> <BR>TheTravelzine.com is non-commercial

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 07:53 AM
alex

My perception of the Caron de Beaumarchais: great location, the Marais. Near many, many attractions--Sainte-Chapelle Notre Dame, Vosges, Picasso Museum, Pompidou Center and many smaller museums, as well as restaurants, cafes, boutiques, galleries and the river. Three blocks or so north of the rue de Rivoli, a main east-west thoroughfare, as well as the main east-west Metro line. The neighborhood attracts people with and on the edge. Wonderful place to amble about. <BR>The hotel-charming, quaint, well decorated. The room we had was on the interior "courtyard," itself the size of a good walk-in closet and darker. The staff was cheerfully helpful. Wish that room had been bigger. Would have stayed there our next trip. Also, it is very popular. I understand it books many months in advance.