Seats on R trains in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased train tickets for August 15 (national holiday, and we were told this is awful day to travel). The second leg of the trip is ES and we have seat reservations.

However, the first leg is an "R" train and the ticket says "seats." Is there any way to reserve seats on the R trains? If not, should we get to the train station extra early? I want to ensure we have seats together, and in fact, that we have seats at all. I heard that during busy periods, some people have to stand. Is this true?
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM

I don;t believe seats on regional trains are reservable but I may be incorrect.

If you are boarding the train at its origination point, then yes, arriving on the platform early is a good move as is being one of the first to board so you can select the seats you want.

I believe August 15 is the Feast of the Assumption.

You do not say where you are traveling from on the regional train.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dukey. The R train is from Perugia to Florence.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:06 AM

If these are the same as IC trains, then you cannot reserve seats.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:20 AM

These regional (R) trains usually are older rolling stock and don't even have seat numbers.

But look up your train on www.treanitali.it - when it comes up, click on the number in the left-most field under Info, then look on the far right, if there's no letter R enclosed in a little box, next to 1 and 2 (for classes) and maybe a bicycle logo or a wheelchair logo, then reservation is not possible.

Also click on the train number itself to find out more details about stops en route in case you can get tempted to hop off somewhere and take a later train to carry on.

WK
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can't reserve seats on R or D trains. Es tickets purchased in Italy or online from Trenitalia automatically include your seat reservations as they are mandatory on ES trains. On IC trains you can reserve seats for an extra fee or you can take a chance on finding an unreserved seat.

Getting to the train station early probably won't help much. The trains pull into the station and start boarding at a set time, they aren't just sitting there for hours before departure. Usually there is about 10 minutes to board.

It might be possible to buy first class tickets on the R train, you still wouldn't have a seat, but it might be less crowded.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:32 AM
ira

ditto kyb

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I have seen and ridden on 1st class R cars. The 1st class on R trains is more of a capacity control device than anyting else, if you can take advantage of it. The airconditioning works no better in the 1st class. The seats aren't any more comfortable.
The 1st class on R train is a mixed bag. It depends very much on the train composition, what part of platform you are located, and an element of luck. I have seen R with more than 10 cars where middle two are 1st class. I also saw another R with only one half car worth of 1st class at the head of a long train; can be a long trek on the platform or in the train. Yet on another train, they closed off the 1st class cars. Since the cost between 1st and 2nd class on R is not that much, it is not a big loss even if you can't ride in a 1st class car.

I have travelled during the Easter. Yes, the Italian trains during holidays can be VERY crowded, and so are the ticket windows. Yes, you may have to stand on R trains.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM

According to Trenitalia, R trains only have second-class cars.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I can't stand for 2 hours; sure hope I can get seats.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Well.....I can stand, but I really, really don't want to.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Just get there early enough to be one of the first to board..that's all you can probably do at this point.