seasick in Venice?

Feb 13th, 2001, 01:17 PM
debbie

seasick in Venice?

sounds crazy, but my hubby get seasick on smaller boats and I wondered how choppy the waters are in Venice?

Feb 13th, 2001, 01:46 PM
janice

a big problem for me last winter - I took Dramamine and was fine, but I'm lucky in that Dramamine does not make me sleepy. It is possible to spend a week in Venice and never go on a boat - you can get most places walking. If you want to go to Lido, Murano, Burano etc. though, you will have to boat. And it would be a pity to miss a gondola ride. You could get lucky and have really calm days, but your husband may want to talk to a doctor about something to take to help him out. Enjoy!

Feb 13th, 2001, 04:57 PM
fred

debbie- dramamine is ok but can make one very sedated. ask your md about scopolamine patches if they are appropriate for your husband they are a great way to go. put on the patch and end your worry.

Feb 13th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Dona

Debbie -

Been to Venice many times and the only times I take a boat is foint to Lido, Murano, Burano or Torcello. You may have to take a boat from the airport or train station - depending upon where your hotel is.

Aside from that - you can really walk all over...

Dona

Feb 14th, 2001, 03:56 AM
please

I also get motion sick easily. While in Venice I had great luck with the motion sickness bands. You can get them at most travel stores and some drug stores in the US. They're elastic bands with a button (it's plastic) that apply pressure to a point on your wrist. They worked really well for me. And they were great, because as soon as I got off the boat, I could take them off and have no lingering drug effect. I know Sea Band makes them, but others do too.

Feb 14th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Sass

I get very motion sick but don't like to medicate, esp. for short hops. The bands don't do squat for me, either. But in Venice the way to cope is to limit the number of times you have to actually cross the Grand Canal because you can do most things on foot. Otherwise, use the "express" boats that only make a couple of stops and/or take your own water taxi (expensive) to go point to point without any stops.

Also: stay outside on the boats, breathing outside air (no close quarters with perfume, cigarette-smoke-smells, and other odors) and keeping your eye on the shore so you don't get visually disoriented.

I only got into trouble once in a week there because I either walked, was too entranced by the scenery, or it was smooth. I admit, the worst was getting to hotel from train -- so look for alternatives to the y'all-come vaporetto for that trip.

Feb 14th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Moira

I get very motion sick also. It's been years since I was in Venice, but I don't remember getting sick on the boat (for example, I took it to Lido one day). I might have forgotten feeling a little sick, but I would have remembered if it was a disaster (like the bus ride from Florence to Siena, when I accidentally took the local bus that meandered through the hillside -- that I'll never forget). Your husband will probably be okay.

Mar 11th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Jodi

I have never been SO sick in my life as in Venice! I am sensitive to motion and use the Transcerm Scop for the plain/train but you might not want the side effects(if he gets them)day in and day out. Two suggestions...the sea bands(just leave them on), actually three suggestions. Watch where you stand before getting on the vaporetto...many of the landing platforms are actually moving docks and just ready to do the motion sensitive in. Look @ the surface and stay on the solid ground until the very last minute and then quickly get on...it is easy to miss this slight problem. And, the last. No matter how weird you look or rude you act...wait at the side of the entrance way and then rush on the last minute. Two things this accomplished for me...I was always out side in the air where I could fix my eyes on a contstant point on the land and get the fresh air in my face which helps. I hope he has good luck...it is well worth the trouble.

Mar 11th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Rex

For those with a mild susceptibility to motion sickness, I think that the vaporettos (and their loading docks) will be a minimal problem.

You might have more trouble with the "free" (well, it really is free) personal taxi ride to Murano which many, many hotels will "arrange for you". Search Murano on this forum if you want more info on these controversial "facilitators" of "entrepreneurial tourism". If the boat ride isn't going to be enjoyable to you, all the more reason to skip this "offer".

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 13th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Casey

For years I have relied on ginger (gound ginger spice, that you use for baking) for motion & air sickness - it also did great job on morning sickness. I'm sure it doesn't work for everybody, but it's worth a try. I take about a qurater teaspoon , and repeat in an hour or so if necessry. Mixing it in a spoon of sugar makes it easier to get down if you can't stand the taste.