Reload this Page >

To stay by the Spanish Steps in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Arlene Koenigsberg

I would like to know what the equivalent of the Spanish Steps area is to in Paris. I have been many times and always stay on the left bank, by St. Germaine. I would like the same type of area in Rome, lots of cute cafes, food shops, etc. We are booked at the Hotel Condotti, so please let me know your opinions of this area. Thank you Arlene Koenigsberg

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Capo

Interesting question, Arlene; I'd wondered the same thing myself (since I also always stay in the St. Germain neighborhood in Paris.) My *impression* is that the area around the Spanish Steps is fairly equivalent. I'd also just read somewhere recently that the "intellectual center" of Rome has shifted from the Via Vento area to the area around the Piazza di Popolo, which is *relatively* near the Spanish Steps. I also love the fact that that area of Rome seems to have a lot of pedestrian streets.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:17 PM
DeAnn

I truly will look forward to any responses you may get to this question. We will be staying at the Condotti in June and also hope for an similar experience. Thanks for posting the question! <BR>D

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:36 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Arlene <BR>We have used the Hotels Internazionale <BR>and the De La Ville which are on the <BR>Sistina at the top of the Spanish Steps. <BR>We decided last year to stay at the <BR>bottom (less steps to walk up and down) <BR>and took the Grand Hotel Plaza which <BR>is on the Corso by the Condotti. Much <BR>busier location, hotel was very good <BR>in both service and accomodations. It <BR>is an older hotel....Here are a couple <BR>to look at, all in the Corso/Condotti <BR>area at the bottom of the Spanish Steps <BR>CONDOTTI 29 PALO BIANCO SUITE, **** <BR>via Del Condotti, 29 <BR>HOTEL VALADIER, **** via della Fontanella,, 15 just half block south <BR>off the Corso from the Pza del Popolo.. <BR>CARRIAGE, *** via delle Carrozze, 36 <BR>just about half block north of Spanish <BR>Steps.. <BR>Have not stayed at any of the above <BR>three but had checked ihto them for <BR>inforantion prior of our last trip. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.. <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 01:03 PM
arlene koenigsberg

Thank you all for replying. We have our reservations, and I have found that there are not any rooms to be had by Piazza Navona. I have tried unsuccessfully to book around there. I quess I will keep my reservation for now! If anyone has any other info, please send it. Arlene

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Karen

My sister and I stayed at the Condotti several years ago. Great location, close to the Steps and Metro. The room was charming. Sometimes the vespas going down the street are noisy, but that is part of the Rome experience. The hotel is on a narrow street. Many people say to avoid the Metro, but we found it just fine and surely the fastest way to get to St Peters and the forum area. We had lunch in the Trastavere quarter and found it to be much less expensive and less crowded. Ciao!