searching for a particular restaurant while biking Bruges to Damme

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I had read quite a few posts on Fodors re: a wonderful restaurant to stop while biking from Bruges to Damme but can't seem to locate any info at present & I also failed to save the info on my computer. Of course it could have possibly been another travel website but I did post on TA & based on the responses I didn't get the info I needed. Hope someone can help. Thanks
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 10:21 AM

I think that the restaurant you want is Siphon. Damme is very small but lovely. It's only about 5km along the cycle path which runs along the side of the canal. There's absolutely no shelter along the route - there was a hail storm when we were half way there and we got soaked. Worth the ride. If you put Damme in the search box you should find the original posts from 2008.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 11:19 AM

As best I remember - we biked from Brugge to Damme, stopped at the town and wandered around looking for a restuarant. For some reason none of them were looking like "home runs" but eventually we settled on one and had a non-memorable meal. Afterwards we got back on the bike path, still heading away from Brugge (in the direction of "Damme Golf") and in a short bit came to a wonderful looking restaurant - oh we should have waitied. The only thing is I'm not sure our attire would have been appropriate - it looked like a place the well-heeled were going for a lovely long lunch but I remember wishing we had waited and would be eating there instead.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 11:58 AM

This may be the thread you're looking for.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-to-damme.cfm
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:22 AM
yk

I agree it's Siphon. We went there in Fall 2008 but unfortunately the restaurant was closed on Thursdays and Fridays (not sure what their hours are now). Here's what I wrote in my trip report regarding that:

<i>We soon arrived at Damme, but we continued biking to reach the restaurant Siphon (recommended by Patrick). When we got there, we were dismayed to find that it's closed on Thursdays and Fridays! So we biked back to Damme and headed into the tiny town.

It is hard to believe that 500 years ago, Damme was a busy port of Bruges. It even has a Stadhuis and was where Charles the Bold and Margaret of York got married in 1468.

We decided to eat lunch at the restaurant Pallieter right next to the Stadhuis (because it was the most crowded).
http://www.pallieterdamme.be/

It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside on the sidewalk. We had a very leisurely lunch which was very, very good. DH ordered their 3-course menu of the day. It started with Serrano ham with greens, followed by turkey kebab. Dessert was a coffee ice cream cake. All for just €15! I ordered a salad with croquettes filled with cheese and tomatoes. This was delicious, and the salad came with fresh fruit including kiwi, strawberries, and canteloupe. Total for lunch was €39. We almost didn't feel like getting back on the bikes after lunch.</i>