Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help with a 3-day Bike Tour of Belgium

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

We're thinking of a 3-day bike tour leaving from Brussels and finishing in Brugges. Does anyone know where I can get some info on touring companies which can provide bike rentals, assistance with luggage and lodging along the way, etc. We're looking for a very casual 20-30 miles per day with plenty of time for enjoying the local flavors (of beer, that is).

Thanks
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 01:15 PM

I can't help you specifically, except to say no matter what, don't miss cycling north of Brugge along the Damme Canal. I've often remarked that it was the most spectacular day I've ever spent in Europe -- and I've spent a lot of time there.

I'm also not sure why you don't just stay in Brugge or another town and bicycle daily. You can easily put your bikes on a train to go one way and bicycle wherever.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:55 AM

I've done a little research for you and I found exactly what you're looking for, but unfortunately only in Dutch, on following website: http://www.fietsroute.org/
You could send this organisation an email ([email protected]) and ask them if they have the routes described in English. Maybe they can redirect you to a company selling packages route/bike/lodging.
I could also post your request in their forum if you like. Please let me know.
Good luck!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:04 AM

You managed finding a company selling short bicycle tours?

I wouldn't recommend starting in Brussels if you want to keep it fun, flat and simple. Why not go immediately to Bruges or Ghent and start a bicycle loop over there? You can leave most of your luggage at your hotel or b&b and take with you only the essential stuff. Both cities have a huge amount of bicycle facilities (rental, bike lanes, bicycle friendly accomodation and a strong bike spirit).

Check http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=670865 and
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...ck-95-towpaths for trails between Bruges and Ghent. Damme is part of the trail.

And for overnighting, go for the families of 'Vrienden op de Fiets'.
http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:33 AM

I agree with Patrick that the canal north of Brugge is a nice ride. I also second BicycleFriends that staying in one place and taking day rides is a nice way to experience a place by bike.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM

This post is 6 years old, and was for some reason topped by bicyclefriends.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM

For an obvious reason: advertising!
bicycle = fiets ; friends = vrienden
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 01:14 PM

I've tagged them several times Myriam in the past but the editors don't seem to think they are advertising. They sporadically top ancient threads like this though.