Search

Scruff bags - go to McDonalds

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2023, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scruff bags - go to McDonalds

Bonjour les hommes

If you can’t dress with any level of decorum whilst dining out at decent restaurants please order some clothes from here…..

https://www.reiss.com/fr/en?gclid=Cj...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

A week into our summer break and I have been visually assaulted by trainers, beach sandals, Columbia / Patagonia walking tops, hiking boots and the rest ….by diners at restaurants where the staff flog their guts out to provide the best food in the world, where Jean Paul round the corner flogs his guts out to knock out the best wine in the world and when I flog my guts out to be able to afford the bill (no tip included) .The
lesst you can do is buy a decent pair of white trousers and a pair of loafers …it’s not difficult!

please don’t move this to the lounge - it’s so tedious there.

Old Aug 9th, 2023, 01:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Haven't you heard? There are no fashion police.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 05:42 AM

That would exclude an awful of people, from all walks of life BC, including billionaires and rock stars.
Sorry but I can't see what someone is wearing is anything to do with where they are eating, unless they are downright indecent, in which case they shouldn't even be in McDs.
I am sure the proprietors are just happy to get bums on seats and money in the bank. If they want to impose a dress code, fine but they need to make that publicly known, and have a bouncer on the door but that will cost them money they probably can't afford to miss in this day and age. As a punter I cant see you have any say in the matter.

Now charging an exorbitant minimum cover or even refusing outright solo diners is an entirely different thing and increasingly common, regardless of what they are wearing.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 05:54 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BritishCaicos

A week into our summer break and I have been visually assaulted by trainers, beach sandals, Columbia / Patagonia walking tops, hiking boots and the rest ….by diners at restaurants ...

lesst you can do is buy a decent pair of white trousers and a pair of loafers …it’s not difficult!
"trainers, beach sandals, Columbia / Patagonia walking tops, hiking boots and the rest"
The footwear costs about $100 each. The C/P shirts cost about $40 - $50 each.

Isn't it really hot this summer?

Why would "white trousers and loafers" be better for sightseeing, exploring, hiking, etc. in Europe this summer?

Have you tried the Hokas and Patagonia
Capilene® Cool Daily Shirt?

Last edited by starrs; Aug 9th, 2023 at 05:58 AM.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 05:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm wondering if this post is commercial spam.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 06:17 AM

"A blistering and deadly heat wave is sweeping Europe, potentially bringing record-breaking temperatures and raising serious concerns about the impacts on people’s health, especially as the continent welcomes an influx of tourists.Parts of Spain, France, Greece, Croatia and Italy are all facing intense heat, with temperatures rising above 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).

“Temperatures are sizzling across Europe this week amid an intense and prolonged period of heat. And it’s only just begun,” the European Space Agency (ESA) said in a statement.

Heat is one of the deadliest natural hazards – more than 61,000 people died in Europe’s searing summer heat wave last year.

In Italy, temperatures could reach record-breaking levels. Sardinia and Sicily are expected to be close to the current European temperature record of 48.8 degrees Celsius (nearly 120 Fahrenheit), according to the ESA"

More at
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/14/europ...ntl/index.html

Are Columbia shirts and sandals / trainers really a major concern for anyone?
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 06:39 AM

Seriously? Why do you care? What other people wear has zero impact on you. Zero. None. Zip. The only impact is self-imposed as a means to look down on them.

White trousers?! Let's choose the absolute most impractical color, shall we?

In case you missed it, there are CEOs of companies wearing jeans and hoodies to work. While I don't personally care for the attire myself, they make a whole hell of a lot more money than I do and who am I to judge?

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Aug 9th, 2023 at 06:43 AM.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 06:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't know anyone wore white trousers except the odd waiter.

Beige, on the other hand, is more normal

Old Aug 9th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Commercial spam. That link.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 07:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kerouac
I'm wondering if this post is commercial spam.
Originally Posted by stokebailey
Commercial spam. That link.

Oh come on !! Seriously?? No it ain't. Long time member merely asking folks to dress appropriately in more upscale places. If people want to dress extremely casually there are lots places that's perfectly OK -- but not in a Michelin starred restaurant where the staff spend hours making the experience memorable. I'd be steamed forking out £££ for a lovely meal with a backwards ball cap, sleeveless vest (that's a 'wife beater' to some in the States), flipflop wearing slob sitting at the next table.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 07:29 AM

Okay, I've "shopped" the women's section at that link.
What EXACTLY would you recommend I wear to buy for a summer trip to Europe?
The heels? Or maybe the "leather suede low cut trainers"? Surely not! Trainers?!
But that's the best shoe option from that website.
Maybe the 70 euro cotton Tshirt? But technical fabrics from C or P are less expensive and more appropriate in the heat that cotton.
Pants? You want me to wear those linen pants? They are linen blend and are also wide legged trousers. I don't think so. Several of the trousers have stripes down the legs like athletic wear. I imagine if I spent close to 200 euros on those, you'd be upset if I were seated next to you at a restaurant. The cargo pants AKA "combat trousers" at 240 euros?

Please share what would be "appropriate" attire for dining next to you at lunch from that link, your recommended shopping option.

I can't find the white trousers and loafers that you think I should be wearing - that would be appropriate for the day outside of pleasing a fellow diner at a restaurant.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
sleeveless vest (that's a 'wife beater' to some in the States)

Inaccurate
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 07:38 AM

Oh -- jeeze -- don't fixate the reiss site. Maybe not the very best example. Check out Boden or Me+Em or any other nice semi-upscale site. I'm in BC's camp.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by starrs
Inaccurate
Uh no - a 'wife beater' is a sleeveless teeshirt/man's tank top -- ergo a 'vest' in the UK . . .
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 07:49 AM

It's a men's undershirt.

Period.

You also embellished the original post with a lot of inaccurate "details" that you thought up yourself.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 07:55 AM

I agree with the OP, make an effort people. Was dining in a lovely high end restaurant in Florence this spring and people looked like they just came in from mowing their lawns...baseball caps on men indoors...who brought you up?
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Oh -- jeeze -- don't fixate the reiss site. Maybe not the very best example. Check out Boden or Me+Em or any other nice semi-upscale site. I'm in BC's camp.
At least YOU don't go to a Michelin starred restaurant for the food. If your enjoyment depends on whether other people are wearing flipflops... What a miserable existence.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

It’s called making an effort ….does nobody care anymore……….
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Starrs

I’ve been married for 28 years , I know better than advising a lady as to how to dress or indeed venturing into her purse.

These are basic survival techniques.

Old Aug 9th, 2023, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
Starrs

I’ve been married for 28 years , I know better than advising a lady as to how to dress or indeed venturing into her purse.

These are basic survival techniques.
Well, I have to give you credit for that.

I wear thong style sandals on vacation because they are fabulous sandals that give great support.

I also wear capri pants. Gasp! At least you didn't mention those. They are a crime here too.

Seriously, I hope you are enjoying your new home. I'll pass on your shopping link though - especially the shoes. You'd have to pay me to wear any of those (that aren't trainers and those are out).

Enjoy your holiday!

Last edited by starrs; Aug 9th, 2023 at 09:59 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -