Reload this Page >

Scotland with 16 year old!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 10:05 PM
barbara

In late July we'll be taking our 16 year old son to Scotland..at his request, although he's uncertain of what he'd like to do! He's interested in history- especially the violent kind- and has a Scottish ancestry on both sides of the family. He's a very eclectic kid- big skateboarder and into music- enjoys good metal bands. We do have 5 nights booked in Edinburgh at the beginning of the Fringe festival, although are considering only four. I like the looks of Kinloch House and he is interested in seeing some of the coountryside..I know he has limitations on just driving and seeing scenery. How about Glasgow? Should I give up a couple of nights in the countryside for it? I would really appreciate any help from anyone who migh have suggestions. His sister is already not going along as she anticipates boredom ( which is pretty realistic at the age of 13!). HELP

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Barbara

My teenage sons loved St. Andrew's Castle. Your son might like Culloden Field near Inverness, Glencoe,and some of the ghost tours in Edinburgh. My sons also love Edinburgh Castle and were happy to spend hours there. As your trip is at your son's request may I suggest that you ask him to explore web sites and tell you what he'd like to do? Not only would he be doing things he wanted to do, but he'd already know something about it before going.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 12:52 AM
Sheila

I suspect you want some castles and battlefields mixed in with the noisy highlife of the Festival. <BR> <BR>Glasgow has the reputation of being the happening place in Scotland at the moment; so a couple of nights there might work quite well. <BR> <BR>There is a listings magazine (called "The List" which covers both Edinburgh and Glasgow, which you should lay your hands on, and be guided by. <BR> <BR>Kinloch House strikes me as bore of Britain for a 16 year old. It's a stunning late Georgian mansion 5 miles from the nearest village. Great food; but not exactly busy nightlife. <BR> <BR>Why not take him into Glencoe as Barbara suggested; he can walk up a mountain (you can always use a guide if you're nervous) and tie that together with stuff like the Glencoe massacre and the "Kidnapped" story as well as both of you seeing the countryside. <BR> <BR>You could stay at the Port Appin Hotel or the Pierhouse, to get the same sort of ambience as Kinloch Lodge (actually to get that you need Isle Eriskay- I just wouldn't pay the prices). <BR> <BR>Why not take your 5 days in Edinburgh, 3 or 4 across country, taking in Bannockburn, Rob Roy, Glencoe, Inverary and back to Glasgow before you leave? <BR> <BR>Please feel free to come back for more specifics

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:50 PM
An experiment

First posted April28 <BR>

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Dr. Laura

How indulgent! You've no doubt already given in to body piercing and tatoos. It'll be a cold day in Karachi when I plan family vacation activities around my teenager's whims. Get a backbone!

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 05:20 AM
jimminy

It's a sad commentary on kids these days. <BR> <BR>The thought of being bored in a country with some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world, haunted by the ghosts of a fascinating turbulent past. <BR> <BR>You are giving up too easy on the 13 year old. It sounds as if her brain has already been numbed by too much TV and video games or other foolishness. Get her to Scotland. <BR> <BR>You may actually have to do a little to make it work, to get them interested, to get them involved in the trip. If you don't, you share the blame.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Kathleen

Dear Dr. Laura and Jimminy, <BR>Lay-off. This lady respectfully requeasted information on Scotland, and you two Bozos start in on her parenting skills. For anyone to assume they diagnose and cure something that isn't even a problem, let alone from a couple sentances, is presumptuous and asinine. Instead of berating others, why don't you take a good look at your own life. I'm sure there are a couple of things you could focus on there. <BR> Kathleen

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Snow White

Dr. Laura and Jimminy: Seemed like good constructive criticism to me.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 03:31 PM
frank

There are a fair amount of young skateboarders in Glasgow, at the weekend many hang around the museum of modern art (free:city centre).Plenty of rock venues, most are licenced & though you can go into a pub at 16 (if not having alcohol) he should be accmpanied - try king tut's (where oasis were discovered)(st vincent st), mcsorleys(jamaca st)(metal),mcuills(high st) etc etc

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:29 PM
barbara

Thanks so much to those of you who took the time to answer my question. Parenting skills aside, I appreciate the suggestions as they were very helpful. Visiting different countries means something different to each of us at various times in our lives. I want things that relate to my son so that this is a trip he'll want to take agin when he is older.The skateboard tips were perfect. A trip abroad is not just about visiting monuments, but identifying with another culture. Any other thoughts would be most appreciated. I have no interest in having it out with anyone who doesn't have positive ideas. Thanks again!!