Accidental Tourist

Search

Accidental Tourist

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accidental Tourist

I was thinking of booking a cooking class with the accidental tourist while in the Chianti area. Does anyone have experience with this company?
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:09 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34433725

There have been a number of posts about them; here is one. I believe most feedback has been favorable, but suggest you type "accidental tourist" into the text box at the top of this page and read through the threads which you'll pull up.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:05 PM

I am guessing with the date posted, you've already made your plans and possibly your trip. I'm going to post this anyway for others' benefit.

My wife and I visited Italy at end of March/beginning of April 2004. We had booked Accidental Tourist based on some of the positive feedback.

I guess the main thing that comes to mind is "WOW". This is the defining event of our entire 12 day trip, and what we look back on the "fondestly." We booked the "sunset stroll."

The company aims to have small groups, but when my wife and I found out that we were the only 2, we were a little skeptical but more excited. My thoughts now are, "if only everyone were so lucky." Our guide, Elizabeth, was wonderful. My wife and I are both introverted, but Elizabeth managed to make us feel both very comfortable. Before we knew it, we were talking like old friends. The scenery was beautiful, the villa and winery we visited were awesome. It was like stepping into those beautiful pictures of Tuscany you see in books.

The highlight of the day was our dinner at Martina and Massimo's house. I won't go into detail about all the food (and there was ALOT), but the word "WOW" again comes to mind. They were extremely gracious and seemed happy to entertain two complete strangers in their home.

Well, I have to say a little more about the food. It was the BEST food I have EVER had, and I've had quite a bit of good food (no reference to my weight).

Let me reiterate...this was the defining experience of our trip. You really haven't experienced Italy unless you take the opportunity this tour affords.

One more thing, cost wise, especially for the small groups, this is a TERRIFIC value.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:22 PM

Accedental Tourist arranged a private birthday party for us a couple of years ago (at the aforementionded Massimo's and Martina's) and everything was perfect. One of the people in our group later did a cooking class with them and really enjoyed it. I don't think it is a terribly advanced-type class but she was very happy with it. The people we dealt with were wonderful.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:53 AM

We are doing a bike tour with them at the end of May. I will post what we think when we return!
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:01 PM

Just a small addition to the comments about Accidental Tourist. I just got back from Italy (7/04) where my friend and I went on the day-long cooking class in Tuscany. In the morning, we met in Florence and took a small van out to the Grignano winery for a tour and tasting -- all done personally by the aforementioned Elizabeth (she's wonderful). Afterwards, we drove to Christiana and Gianni's home where we learned how to make fresh ravioli filled with spinach and ricotta and another kind of pasta (I won't try to spell it). I can't cook, but it was such fun and the meal was delicious. As we sipped chianti, the six of us all got well acquainted. The sunshine, sweet-smelling air, incredible views from this ancient house built of stone on the side of a hill... It was an amazing, enriching experience. If you have a chance, do it! It's a great option for people who are not planning to rent a car, but who want to get out into the country and see the "real" Tuscan countryside.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

We have returned from a wonderful trip to Italy and the French Riviera! I did not use this operator, but we did go to a vineyard in the chianti region-Verrazzano. It was spectacular and the food was amazing! They begin with a tour at 11:00 am and then have a traditional tuscan lunch after. I highly recommend this as it was the highlight of Tuscany for us! (we spent 5 days).