Tuscan Country Trattoria

Search

Tuscan Country Trattoria

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscan Country Trattoria

I will be leaving for Italy in 4 weeks. I'm looking for some great countryside trattorias with open woodfire cooking. We visited one in Umbria last year and it was the trip highlight. Long wooden benches, meats cooking over an open fire, local wine, etc. We love the out of the way places that are italy's real treasure. Can anyone share those hidden treasures with us? We'll be based in Siena but driving all over Tuscany.
I've loved reading all the trip reports and great tips from Fodorites!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 07:48 AM

This is actually in Umbria but certainly doable. We ate here 2 years ago and it was a great experience.
This is what Frommers says about it.

La Stalla (outside Assisi; tel. 075-812-317): This is the quintessential countryside trattoria, the sort of place where scattered Italian families get together for monthly reunions. The low ceilings are black with centuries of wood smoke pouring from the open fire over which grilled meats sizzle. At the long wooden communal tables you can wash down a platter of homemade pasta and another of grilled lamb with copious quantities of the house red.

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 07:58 AM
pdx

Just drive around and when you decide you're hungry take your chances. There isn't a lot of bad food in Italy, at least not in my experience. And those little suprise finds make the best memories. You probably know that already. You may not get an open wood-fired oven but most of my experiences in little trattorias is they each have their specialty and are so very proud to introduce you to it. Mmmm-mmmm! I am so jealous! Have a lovely trip.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Dear Grimmy
That is the place we went to last year. It was wonderful. We just may have to drive back there again. I was hoping to find another treasure like that! Hope other people will post their favorite off the beaten track places. Has anyone tried the recommendations in Carla Caplbo's book Food Lovers Guide?
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Once again hoping fellow Fodorites are willing to post their favorite hidden secret places to eat in the Tuscan countryside. You know the kind of place I mean....mamma in the kitchen making the pasta, son seating you and telling you what is special, delicious everything, wonderful local wine, etc etc.