Scotland vacation

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Scotland vacation

My wife and I are visiting Scotland in July and have about 1 week to 10 days to see Edinburgh, travel to Stiring for a few days and hopefully see St, Andrews and Loch Ness, before going to Glasgow a couple of days before flying home.Looking for suggestions for places to stay near Stirling[prefer b and b's] but not a priority. We self drive but would like to know of any day trips to Loch Ness etc. Dennis Parsons
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM

If you plan your itineray, keep in mind that distances in Scotland may be longer than they appear and that roads are narrow and average speed is low.

I personally was not overwhelmed by Stirling. It is just the castle (two hours for a visit), otherwise the town is not too interesting.

For an overnight stay, I much more prefer a town near the Trossachs (Callender, Aberfoyle), Loch Lomond (there is a wonderful 5-star-hotel, Cameron House) or, most romantic, at Lake of Menteith (with famous Inchmahome Abbey).
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM

While there is more to Stirling than just the castle - it still doesn't warrant a "few days" - unless perhaps you are visiting friends/family.

But there is a LOT to see in the general Stirling area. Loch Lomond, Doune Castle, the Trossachs/Queen Elizabeth Forest Park, lochs/waterfalls, etc.

Re Loch Ness -- many visitors put Loch Ness on their "must list". But in fact, as Scottish lochs go - Ness is no great shakes. Heck, it isn't even in the top 20 of scenic lochs.

W/ 10 days you could spend 2 in Edinburgh and 2 in Fife (for St Andrews/fishing villages/Falkland Palace, etc) - and have 6 days to play w/.

Then you could spend 2 days based near (but not IN Stirling).

Then if you still want to see Loch Ness, maybe 2 or 3 days NEAR Inverness (again, not IN the city). You could see Culloden Moor, Cawdor Castle, Dolphins in the Moray Firth, and more wonderful scenery than you can imagine. Then 1 day working your way back to Glasgow.

OR - you could go over to Skye and/or Mull (skipping Inverness)

OR - you could go up to Aberdeenshire/Deeside and see Dunnottar, Crathes, Balmoral and many other castles plus sole terrific seacoast
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:39 PM

When I was planning one of my trips to Scotland, from Wales, a couple of years ago. Someone that I deal with in work, he lives in Edinburgh and I have been dealing with him on the phone for many years now pleaded don't go to Loch Ness.
I ran my schedule passed him for his advise. He said Loch Ness is quite tacky and they only people that go are tourist and there are much more scenic Loch's to see than that one.He told me to go to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs. I am so glad we did.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM

My trip report might give you some ideas when used with a map.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35058184
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM
DFT

We were in Scotland almost 2 years ago. We stayed in a country hotel in Laggen. If we went back, we would probably stay there again. It is near Aviemore & Newtonmore.
There web site is:
www.laggencountryhotel.co.uk
Look it up. It is centrally located for day trips throughout the Highlands.
We also took time to go to the Orkney Islands. Very interesting.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM

There is a lot to see and do in Stirling and apart from the Castle and Wallace Monument, there is The Old Town Gaol, Argylls lodging, Bannockburn.

It also an excellent base for day trips to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs not to mention Doune Castle of Monty Python and the Holy Grail fame.

www.kilronan.co.uk

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for those ideas. I have read an itinerary which circles the Scotish highland in 10 days. It sounds doable but I wonder about wasting too much time north of Loch Ness. Any thoughts? Also considered whether trip to Skye is worthwhile. We are planning to drive our own car, so knowledge of a good central hub would be appreciated.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

someone just told me we needed at least three days in Edinburgh, especially if we want to spend a whole day in the castle. Can someone suggest an itinerary that includes "must see" and "don't bother" places.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Edinburgh is a beautiful city and has a lot to fill your time. But - it is also a compact city w/ about 80% of the sites w/i walking distance of each other. The castle is amazing - but you can easily see it in 3 or 4 hours. If you had a week to spare - sure, spend the whole day in the castle. But a morning or an afternoon would be adequate.

I personally think 3 days is about perfect for Edinburgh - but if you have limited time, 2 full days is enough to see quite a bit of the city.