Search

Scotland Tour - Urgent

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Tour - Urgent

Hi All,

Need some advise I am very late but I want to make the most of easter holidays 18-21 Apr and I am looking to make a quick tour to Scotland for 4 days. I have never been there, so I have been trying to check if any good tours might be by anyluck available, but no surprises they are all booked as expected. I am now planning to to take my car from London to Scotland and go around and see whatever amazing beauty of Scotland I can, so I need your expert advise like which all places I can cover in 4 days 18-21 where should I stay in Scotland. Please see I am interested in seeing the landscape natural beauty moreover, any help advise appreciated.

Thanks,
Vish
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 05:25 AM

YOu do reaslise it will take an entire day driving each way between london and Scotland (made worse by the inevitable Bank Holiday traffic jams). Not really worth it in my view for just two days on the ground. Have you checked trains/flights options instead? Likely to be expensive and busy at this late stage but it would at least give you more time actually in Scotland.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gordon,

yeah that makes sense guess that would be too much of driving only, I would take train or flight from London to Scotland and than hire a car from Edinburgh? is that better? but the most important question what do I cover once I am there in 4 days
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 07:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Before you decide on a driving tour . . . Have you checked Rabbies and Timberbush tour companies. They both offer several 2and 3 day tours and maybe they aren't totally booked up. They are small groups so nothing like the massive coach tours.

Or - they both also do terrific one- day trips so you could stay in Edinburgh or Glasgow and do a day trip to the highlands or somewhere else.

At this last date the trains may be booked and won't be cheap - but try trains first, then look for flights.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 07:56 AM

This is like asking which one thing can I do out of a choice of 100.

I can suggest one possibility if you are travelling from London. Take the overnight sleeper train from London Euston station to Blair Atholl. Departs Euston 21.15 on 17th and arrives in Blair Atholl at 6.28 on the 18th. Return on 20.18 from Blair Atholl on the 21st and arrive back in London at 6.48 on the 22nd, just in time to go to work. That gets you maximum time on the ground 18-21st.http://www.mytrainticket.co.uk/cheap...o-blair-atholl

Right beside the Blair Atholl train station is the Atholl Arms Hotel. http://www.athollarmshotel.co.uk/index.htm

You won't be able to check-in at 6.30 in the morning but you can leave your bag, have breakfast and arrange for a car hire. Have them drive to you from Pitlochry, they're open from 7.30am. https://plus.google.com/105201990301...usurl&socpid=1

There is plenty to see and do in the area depending on your interests and you will be good to go by 8.30am on the 18th.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 08:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I very much doubt the sleeper is available over Easter - books up well ahead.

Suggesting these specific sites/routes is pretty much useless until one finds available transport . . .
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 08:09 AM

The sleeper is an available option in your case, but not cheap unless you can tolerate spending the night in a reclining seat. If you want a compartment you have to pay a hefty supplement.

Do bear in mind also that some people (myself included) find it hard to sleep on overnight trains, and you won't be able to have a shower when you arrive at your destination until much later in the day.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 08:17 AM

Gordon, I am not a sleeper fan either but given the short time available, I'm suggesting what I think will get the OP maximum time on the ground. The alternative would be to fly from London to somewhere like Inverness or Aberdeen but I don't think the timing would work out as well.