Scotland to France?

Search

Scotland to France?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland to France?

I am toying with the idea of spending a week or so in Scotland, mostly in Pertshire and then another week in France mostly in Paris as an anniversary trip in early May. Does this sound practical? I have yet to visit Scotland and Perthshire intrigues me. How would you recommend traveling between the two?
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM

Fly from Edinburgh or Glasgow; or, if you have a car, ferry from Rosyth to Zebrugge in Belgium, then drive south.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Does this combination seem like a reasonable thing to do? Any comments on Perthshire and environs? To me it seems like a nice bit of countryside yet convienient for daytripping to one or two of the more popular cities.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
w/ the short flights in Europe - almost any two-fer makes sense. If you want to visit central Scotland and Paris in 2 weeks, it is totally doable.

probably not my choice (I'd personally spend the 2 weeks in Scotland or the 2 weeks in France -- Scotland would be my first choice) -- but logistically there is no problem doing this.

If I was planning on doing both, I'd use EDI because you could spend a week-ish in Perthshire and a day or 2 in Edinburgh and then fly to CDG.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

Oh - what to see/do in Perthshire and thereabouts - lots.

Just a short list would include Scone Palace, lots of lochs and gorgeous scenery, Blair Castle, Drumond Castle gardens (must be seen to be believed) Killin/Falls of Dochart, etc. Then, besides things in Perthshire, w/i easy day drives would be Stirling/Doune Castles, the Trossachs, all of Fife and on and on . . . .
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM

Or to be carbon friendly take the Sleeper train to London, theu Eurostar to Paris - and none of this stupid 1 bag rule.

Wouldn't recommend the ferry - especially at weekends BTW - as it tends to attract groups of folk who are into serious drinking
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Perthsire, my home county, is beautiful, and it covers most types of Scotland's landscapes. There's every sort of accomodation available, and every sort of activity or vistor experience.

I don't enjoy QUITE the fetish janis has for esending every visitor to edinburgh, but it would be easy to do a day trip to there, Glasgow or the northern Highlands, all by train- you don't really want to be driving in either city although driving in the countryside is, unfortunately, a must.

I'm sure, that in terms of time (taking into account sleeping) it's quicker to get the boat from Rosyth to Paris,than get the south coast ferries. I haven't done it myself, although friends have, a number of times , and they speak highly of it.

I hadn't heard of drunk problems, Aland, but I'll check with them what they say.

The easy option is a hop from Edinburgh airport to Paris. Easyjet goes from Edinburgh to Charles de Gaulle
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Lots of nice countryside north of Edinburgh. Of course such a trip depends on the weather and as we have seen from this year that is entirely unpredictable.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:52 AM

sheila: I think you misunderstood my post. I meant use EDI (Edinburgh airport) IF the OP wanted to go to France. I didn't say <u>anything</u> about visiting Edinburgh.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all - you have given me some good feedback. Perthshire sounds wonderful.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM

If it is any help, from 29th October easyJet will fly direct from Glasgow to Paris (Charles de Gaulle).

bill
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Janis; no I didn't. You said &quot;and a day or 2 in Edinburgh&quot;.

However, no doubt basingstoke can decide what s/he prefers to do.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM

You can also fly to France from Aberdeen with Air France and KLM (via Amsterdam).
Look at www.travelsupermarket.com to get the cheapest option.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Air France is very convenient but very dear