Scotland Self Drive

Apr 14th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Scotland Self Drive

I am planning a trip for early June in Scotland. Two years ago I took a fly drive self guided tour through Ireland and loved it, though I am finding it challenging to find in Scotland.

1. Do you know of any companies that offer this? I don't think Brian Moore does anymore.
2. If we decide to do a package with air/car, how would you suggest we book the B&Bs? I would love to find a company that has a voucher system so we can decide as we go, if that's available. I think we'll be "winging it" so I'd prefer not to book B&Bs now, however I am not sure if we will have a tough time finding availability in June.

Any advice, or suggested places to visit would also be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Sam
Apr 14th, 2004, 08:23 PM

You really don't need a "fly/drive" - just book the best airfare you can get and rent a car through any of the many companies that give discounted rates for advance bookings.

There aren't any (that I know of) B&B voucher programs for Scotland. But I really don't see the advantage of them. Vouchers do not guarantee you a room - just that your room is paid for if you find one. But if a room is available to a voucher it is available to anyone. really no advantage.

You won't have any problems finding B&Bs in June - high season doesn't really start until July and is most crowded in August. I would definitely book in advance in Edinburgh - but most anywhere else you can find places as you go along.

Scotland is a big place. Before anyone can give you good suggestions where to go we need to know how long you will be there, and what sorts of things interest you.
Apr 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I am getting ready to do this in May. There are some great deals through europeasap.com.
Apr 15th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts! I wasn't sure if the deal is better through a voucher program, but perhaps not. It makes me nervous going without accomodations but if the B&Bs are as plentiful as they were in Ireland, it shouldn't be a problem. Definitely will book in Edinburgh as you suggested. Thanks!

As to the trip, I think we are looking at 8-10 days. Definitely want to do one or two in Edinborough, and that's as far as we've gotten. I do want to see the Isle of Skye, and the Highlands, and my friend would like to visit family in what I think is called the Borders. Besides that.. we're open and flexible to any suggestions.

Thanks again, and thanks for the europeasap.com tip! I'll look into it.
Apr 15th, 2004, 08:54 AM

We are staying 3 nights in Edinburgh and then picking up our rental car for the week. We are making Aberfeldy, Perthshire our base and then doing daytrips throughout Scotland. There are a lot of cute cottage rentals. We got our for about $500 US which we thought was great for 7 nights.
Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Apr 15th, 2004, 11:21 AM

The Borders to Skye is about on opposite side of the country.

You won't need (or want) a car in Edinburgh, but to get the best car rental deals you need to rent for a full week.

Here's how I'd do it: Start off in Edinburgh - 2 nights/2 days. Then pick up your car and head down into the Borders for 2 days. there is a LOT to see in this area but about 2 days is all the time you'll have. At minimum visit Melrose and Dryburgh abbeys, St Abb's Head, and one or 2 of the castles/manor houses in the area. But squeeze in more if you can.

Then head north taking the ring road around Edinburgh and across the Forth Road Bridge to Stirling. Visit the castle plus Inchmahome Priory and/or Doune Castle and stay the night near Aberfoyle or Callander.

The next day get an early start and drive through Glencoe and to Mallaig. Take the ferry to Skye and stay 2 night there.

Where to go from there depends on if you are taking 8 days or 10 days. If the longer time you can cross the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh and head up glen Carron and over to near Inverness to explore that area for a couple of days and then head back to Edinburgh to fly home.

If only 8 days - go across the Kyle bridge , head east on the A87 and then cut across at Spean Bridge to somewhere in the central highlands for the night. You might go as far south as Aberfeldy for that night. Then down the A9 to Edinburgh.
Apr 15th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Janis! You've taken most of the work out of my planning! I really appreciate it, and hopefully I'll be able to swing the 10 days!
Apr 17th, 2004, 05:03 AM

I agree with several others - you don't really need a voucher for B&B's. If anything, they limit your choices, because you have to go to a B&B that is within their network (and find one that is available where you happen to be that night).

We have traveled in England and Scotland 8 or 9 times and have never booked anything ahead of time except "first nights" and cities.

We have only had one experience when it was almost impossible to find a B&B, and - as you Fodorites will understand! - that adventure has now become one of our favorite travel stories.

Especially since you're traveling in early June, I really don't think it will be a problem to find a place to stay each night. I've never traveled in July/August, when I hear it can actually be hard to find places, but your timing should be great.

Have fun!

Gayle

Apr 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Gayle.. my mind's made up then! I'll book in Edinburgh and that'll be it. Thanks!!
Apr 19th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Hi, reddattitude. If, when you arrive in a town or city, your first stop is to a tourist information center, they will be happy to help you find a room at a B&B in your price range in whatever area you are interested in.