Scotland Recommendations

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Nancy

Scotland Recommendations

I'm planning a 10 day trip to Scotland in November. For those who have traveled in Scotland, what would you absolutely not miss? Also, I can't decide if I want to rent a car or rely on bus/train transportation. Frankly I'm somewhat afraid of driving on the left, although I am an excellent driver and have driven in Europe before. Any ideas would be most welcome!! Thank you!

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 07:57 AM
nickie

Nancy, if you scroll down through the U.K. entries, there are many suggestions about Scotland, especially from Sheila and Tony. I believe Sheila covered a lot of ground.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 08:43 AM
Sheila

Yes, could I suggest the same as Nancy, but if you come back with specifics we'll try to fil in the gaps.

If you can bear it, drive. Public transport is not too hot

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 08:45 AM
Nancy

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I have read the other material and appreciate its comprehensiveness. I'm just looking for those who have traveled to Scotland and what they would go back to see or feel shouldn't be missed in a trip. I'm also curious about driving on the left, as I am hesitant to do that.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 08:51 AM
Nancy

Sheila,

I spent several hours last night reading your previous posts and the detail you went into. I am not a 'city' type person and would like to get out into the more out of the way places. As an example, I was in Belgium last fall and the place I liked the best *next to Brugges* was Bokrijk.

From what I read last night, the western part of the country might be the place to visit. But since I'll be there in November, I wonder if the weather will be so bad so that the ferries won't run. I'm not a hiker, etc. but do like wildlife/nature. My partner is very big on William Wallace and know that we will have to visit Stirling at a minimum.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 11:50 AM
Sheila

Nancy

First reconcile your self to the fact that the weather will not be good. Expect temperatures of 4-6degrees C and expect it to be wet. That way you can't be disappointed.

I think that's another reason for going the car route. If it's raining, you can at least get to the next dry place.
If I were doing your sort of trip here in November, I would base it around nice hotels and good restaurants.

Have you read the very funny posings about driving from a few months ago? Search drving and see what it comes up with. I can drive n the right. Why shouldn't you be able to drive on the left.

I woul plan to arrive (Where? airport? station?) pick up a car and get the hell out of Dodge City.

Do your William Wallace stuff first. Stirling is a good start point and whilst not being absolutely top notch shopping, you should be able to get all the things you should have brought with you and haven't all whilst you get used to the place. Stay a couple of days. Try the Golden Lion Hotel in the town centre or the Toramaukin in Gleneagles ( about 25 minutes drive from Stirling). Do the castle, Bannockburn, the Bridge, the Wallace Monument, and the odd half-day trip to say Dollar Glen or Doune Castle.

Day 3 Go up to Callendar west to Brig o' Turk and down to Aberfoyle, then south to Drymen and Balloch and north up Loch Lomond to Arrochar. Take the road over the rest and be thankful to the top of Loch Fyne. Stop at the Loch Fyne Oyster bar for whatever meal you are passing at. Go up to Loch Aweside and stay in the Portsonachan Hotel or the the Ardaneiseg. Both are very nice.

Day four go on to Oban and spend the day pottering about there. Stay at the Pierhouse at port Appin about 15 miles north of Oban.

Day five take a trip uo Glen Coe from Ballachulish, then go across Rannoch Moor to Crainlarich, west to Killin and Kenmore. Visit Aberfeldy and Dunkeld and Pitlochry and stay at the (woops the name will come back to me)at Weem.

Day six, go up the A9 toInverness, stopping at Kingussie, Rothiemurchus (take the chairlift up Cairngorm) and on to Inverness, where you shoud find somewhere to stay.

Day 7- go down the Great Glen to Invermoriston, then west to Kyle of Lochalsh and spen the day on Skye. Stay at the Isleoransay Hotel.

Day 8- take the ferry off from Armadale to Mallaig and follow the road east to Fort William. If you're up to it, just stay on the raod all the way back to edinburgh and finish your stay there.

if that sort of idea works for you, let me know and I'll fill out details. the place to stay I picked are not cheap, but you should be able to do deals in November.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 06:39 AM
jeff

Hi Nancy,
I have been to Scotland several times and have loved it every time. (even in inclimate weather). I think the best way to see it is by car. I usually stay in London and take the rail to Edinburgh and pick up a car at the Hertz rental center at Waverly Station. There are several other places to pick up a car and it is best to shop around for the best price. The advantage to having a car is that you can stop at your leasure anytime you want.
As for places to not miss, don't miss the city of Edinburgh. There is so much to see and do. I enjoy the Palace of Holyrood, Edinburgh Castle, Mary Kings Close, Georgian House, Gladstones Land, St Giles Cathedral, and the Scott Monument. Plus there are great restaurants, pubs, gardens and parks. My favorite restaurant is The Marque. It is on Causewayside and the food is fantastic. The prices were quite reasonable considering the level of cuisine (about $35.00 per person including dessert). If it's atmosphere you like try The Witchery. The prices are a little steep, but the food is good and it's right beside the castle. (as far as atmosphere, the name says it all)
My favorite B&B in Edinburgh is the Elmview. The rooms are very large and you get a lot of extras for your money. There are fridges in your room which is great if you'd like to buy sandwich meat and take sandwiches with you on the road. They also give you a small bottle of complimentary sherry. The bathrooms are green marble and the rooms are very nicely decorated. I've always felt that I've cheated them when I paid the bill. The rates are around 30-35 pounds per night per person.
I always drive in Edinburgh, but I have a navigaton helping. If your traveling alone, I wouldn't drive in Edinburgh because it can be confusing (what city isn't). The streets often change names after 1 block. If you are good with maps and are patient, you shouldn't have a problem. Otherwise, take the bus in Edinburgh and pick up a car as your leaving. Driving in Scotland, I found, is easy and very pleasant. You just have to get used to driving on the left hand side of the road and learn how to negotiate the roundabouts.
My favorite castles to not miss are: Blair, Glamis, Stirling, Cawdor, Eilean Donan, Balmoral, and Edinburgh. If you get a chance, drive to the Isle of Skye. The countryside is breathtaking and it's a must-see. I also enjoyed going to Loch Ness and visiting Uruquart Castle ( a ruin). Most of the sightings of the Loch Ness monster have been from there.
Glencoe is another must-see. This is the sight of the McDonald massacre by th Campbells. It is a very sobering place, but broodingly beautiful. I got some great pictures there.(the hills are mesmerising)
If your ancestry is Scottish, you should definitely see Culloden Battlefield. Many of the Scottish clansmen fell here under the command of Bonnie Prince Charlie.
Whatever you decide to do in Scotland will be wonderful because it's a great country. I hope you have a terrific time! If you'd like any more info, feel free to e-mail me.