Scotland- own base?

Jul 28th, 1999, 05:31 PM
Kittie

Scotland- own base?

Hello,
I am going to email Fodor's and suggest that they create a separate "Scotland" base.
Kittie

Jul 29th, 1999, 12:09 AM
Tony Hughes

<sigh> ...if only Scotland WAS sep

Jul 29th, 1999, 05:13 AM
Maira

Kittie: Are you serious? Why?!

Jul 29th, 1999, 05:28 AM
Adam

Tony - our day will come!

Jul 29th, 1999, 05:31 AM
Maira

Kittie, never mind my question...I got it.

Jul 29th, 1999, 08:03 AM
elvira

Oh wow A whole site devoted to haggis, castles, and distilleries...

Jul 29th, 1999, 08:51 AM
Sheila

"Sigh" So deeply misunderstood!

Jul 29th, 1999, 02:42 PM
kittie

I realize that my original post was not worded very well (it was late...had a couple of beers <g>?)
Let me clarify my post...
I mean a separate listing under the Europe forum section. Ireland has it's own listing. Heck, even Albania and Andorra are listed in the Europe forum (this area).
With increased questions being asked about Scotland, it just seems like the thing to ask for.

Jul 30th, 1999, 04:04 AM
fiona

Hi Kittie,

I'm just curious as to why you said "Ireland has it's own listing" - I wouldn't consider myself ultra nationalistic, Just curious to learn other people's impression of Ireland's internationally perceived status.

Fi

Jul 30th, 1999, 05:18 AM
Tony Hughes

Kittie.....we're not considered important enough....European giants like Andorra appear to merit a listing.

It's times like this when people can see what I am talking about on the halloween and parliament posting.

Jul 30th, 1999, 11:40 AM
Catherine

I can't believe that no one has said this!Kittie,Scotland is still part of the United Kingdom.Southern Ireland is an independent country.
Thats what Tony wants, Scotland to be an independent country.
A lot of the fighting in N. Ireland is to do with people who want to be independent and those that still want to remain part of the UK.
It's sad to think that we could have the same sort of fighting in Scotland as we have in Ireland.
In saying that though, Scotland does have a strong identity.It should be acknowledged that Scotland is very different from England.Not many English people would eat haggis or deep fried, battered, mars bars!

Jul 30th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Tony Hughes

You are only partially correct Catherine. Ireland is a unique situation - a lot more to do with the religious devide than just whether to remain in the UK or not.

Jul 30th, 1999, 12:01 PM
Catherine

Well Tony, there is religious divide {note Sp], in Scotland too between catholics and protestants.It could flare up if Scotland became independent.
I do have sympathy for your cause.I feel very strongly about certain things also.
Better to have strong feelings than to be brain dead.

Jul 30th, 1999, 12:10 PM
sara salinski

i dont think there are enough questions about scotland to make its own base. In fact, it seems that most ask more about england. OHhhh...and to just comment on above about the England vs. Scotland issue...never liken a Brit to an Aussie. I found out the hard way while in London. Brits are in no way related or connected to Aussies!!!

Jul 30th, 1999, 12:10 PM
Tony Hughes

Unlikely as England has a similar mix of all denominations.

Scots Catholic versus English Catholic?
Don't think so.

Jul 30th, 1999, 12:15 PM
Tony Hughes

Dont bloody criticise me for a typo, Catherine....that is so petty.

Jul 30th, 1999, 12:40 PM
Catherine

Tony,you started it remember? Sometimes I am petty and bloody minded.
Anyway i'll say i'm sorry.I won't do it again.

Jul 30th, 1999, 01:12 PM
elvira

And, of course, the Irish thing isn't so much about religion (although I believe it's promoted by the British as that) but about economics. If the Prods ever figured out that most of them have it lousy, and united with the Catholics, then the Brits wouldn't have much of a chance. As long as the poor remain divided, then the Question will never be solved. While the poor Prods align themselves with the rich Prods, rather than the poor Catholics, England is in control. The saddest evidence of the benign neglect by the British Government in the Six Counties is Queen's University. We stayed in the dorms a couple of summers ago - obviously not updated since the mid-60's.
The question arises: what are the British doing for the Six Counties that is better than what the Republic would do if the Six Counties united with it?

So the Six Counties are in a bit of a different position than Scotland; they don't want to be a free-standing country. They want to either be part of the UK or part of the Republic (remember that the Republic was also part of the UK until they rebelled in the early 1900's). Scotland, on the other hand, has the choice of being part of the UK or being a separate country - the financial and political implications are immense. For the young hotheads like Tony (or Thomas Paine, or Thomas Jefferson, or Samuel Adams), independence is worth any cost. For the greyer heads (like Sheiia or Ben Franklin), the cost of independence has to be weighed carefully.
And, as I've advised Tony, throwing foodstuffs into a harbor seems to p**s off the British...oh yeah and if it comes to armed conflict DON'T wear red coats and DO hide behind trees (at least, that worked for us 225 years ago)
and don't trust ANYONE named Benedict.

Jul 30th, 1999, 02:04 PM
Sheila

Geez, Elvira; and I thought Kittie had a higher degree in stirring it!!!

Jul 30th, 1999, 02:28 PM
Richard

It seems to me the Republic is doing quite well, thank you very much. I think the "troubles" are being fomented by a bunch of hooligans, on both sides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO