Scotland Itinerary needs advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've dreamed of visiting Scotland since I was a little girl and finally, a friend has agreed to go with me next summer. Yes, the end of June 2014. It'll take that long to save up!

I've read most of the posts here. And every guidebook. I'm now so hopelessly muddled about where to go and how long to stay. I'm like that kid with their hand in the filbert jar. Having trouble of letting go. Can you help unmuddle me? Two weeks total. Flying from Boston. We are two older professional women. In training to walk, walk, walk. But we're not Munro hikers! We will have a rental car for a week. Possibly more. So here goes, bear with me.

1. We've found a rental apartment in Edinburgh for a week. It's 9 Randolph Lane. I am thinking it's a good location, am I right? Very affordable, small, but cute.

2. Is a week too long in Edinburgh? This apartment can be rented for shorter stays -- say 5 days?. We really want to do a good job on E'burg, but also want time to enough time to see countryside as well w/o rushing or spending too much time in the car.

3. If we stay for Edinburgh for a week, can we do day trips to Roslin, Stirling.. what else? S. Queensferry, Hopetown House, Linithgow Palace, Maid of the Forth & Incholm Island?

My wish list:
Glen Coe
Skye
2+ great Castles (Eilean Donan? Balmoral? Should we do Deeside?)
2+ great gardens (a maze?)
1 or 2 distilleries (Tallisker on Skye? Something in Deeside?)
A boat cruise on a Loch (Lommond? Ness? Katrine?)
A steam railway ride. (Jacobite train ala Harry Potter?)
A gondola or train up a mountain.
Lovely (easy) walks in beautiful country.
Scenery - a great cross section!
History!
Shopping!

Sorry for the long post and hoping you can help guide me! Thanks in advance.
Old May 5th, 2013, 09:52 AM

You seem to have the cart before the horse.

Will that be 2 weeks on the ground, or include flying?

Break your trip down to manageable segments. How long do you want to stay in each area?

You're way too early for thinking of apartment renting. You have too much time in Edinburgh with this apartment to be able to see all the things you want to. You might think of a B&B, so one full meal is served to you to start your day.

Right now, your wish lish is totally impractical.
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM

Ok . I have lived in Edinburgh all my life so am happy to answer any questions on it. A week is not too long especially if you wish to do all the day trips you mention. Randolph lane is indeed very central and it looks really nice. No harm in booking now as long as you dont have to part with too much money. You dont need a car in Edinburgh itself and parking would be expensive in such a central location. Most of the main sites in Edinburgh will be within walking distance of Randolf lane but public transport is good. Airport bus will take you to West End and apartment is only 5 min walk at most.Open top bus a good way of getting your bearings in Edinburgh. So much to see depending on your interests. I would also suggest a rail trip to Glasgow only an hour away from Edinburgh. Again open top bus will give you overall flavour and shopping is good there it is Scotlands largest city.
I would suggest you split your trip into two segments Edinburgh without a car and the the rest of Scotland with a car. You have plenty of time to plan so concentrate on Edinburgh leg first then it won't seem too daunting. I can also help on second stage but take one at a time. your wish list is doable. I assume you are flying in and out of Edinburgh.
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

No doubt!
That will be a total of 2 weeks, including the travel.
And I realize it's totally impractical, which is why I'm asking for help.

So let's say 5 days in Edinburgh. (And yes, we do want an apartment. We will be staying in B&Bs for the rest of the trip and would like the privacy and two separate bedrooms at least for part. And this particular apartment is already booked through Sept, so we don't want to wait too long IF this is the one for us.)

2 days wasted on travel.
So that leaves seven for traveling and trying to see a good selection of Scottish scenery and history. But where... it's the breaking down into manageable chunks that is making this hard for me.
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a few quick comments:

- Definitely no car IN Edinburgh. Impossible traffic and lots of construction.

- of all the castles in Scotland - Eilean Donan and Balmoral would be VERY far down my list. There are quite literally 100 better than either one of those. (The view of Eilean Donan IS very nice but absolutely no reason to more than quick photo stop)

- other day trips from Edinburgh could include St Andrews (train to Leuchars and bus or taxi from there), North Berwick, and/or into the Borders (but the Borders are better with a car)

- an absolute 'must' garden is Drumond Castle. Followed by either Crathes or Cawdor - and Inverewe if you get far enough north.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis. I value your advice and I feel comfortable jettisoning Eilean Donan and Balmoral.
I will check out Drumond, Crathes or Cawdor. I will try to narrow it down more.

No, no car IN Edinburgh, I agree.

So, do you think 5 days would be enough (assuming one of those days will be tired from traveling?) And what did you think of the location of the proposed rental?

There's a Rabie's Tour to Roslin & Melrose Abbey that I thought might be a good option. Roslin's an important family destination for me.
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think rabbie's to Roslin and the Borders is a great idea. They are small groups and very good guides, and would be the easiest way to see Melrose w/o a car.

IMO 4.5 - 5 days is nice for Edinburgh. You could even see a lot of it in just 3 days - but you need the extra time for the day trip.

Randolph lane is a good location. Only issue would be the road construction around that area - but since you won't have a car there not a big problem. In the last week I took taxies from/to/from the airport and even after the years of construction it is still a mess . . .
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Definitely no to Balmoral. My favorite castle that I've been 3x to is Glamis. I also love Crathes and Dunnottar. Drummond Castld Gardens are beyond belief. If you can fit in the Jacobite Steam Train its worth it. And most spectacular scenery I've seen besides Skye is Glence.

With your limited time I would do 4 days in Edinburgh. When we took my parents over I think we did 3 nights, knowing that it was probably a once in a lifetime trip for them. We went to Rosslyn Chapel but not Melrose. Compare the apartment you found to the Knights Residence. I've stayed there twice and would stay again, great location.
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, great suggestions. I looked at Knights, it looks wonderful. But although it is full service, it's also a lot more expensive. This apartment is 95 pounds a night for the two of us in two rooms. Will keep plugging away. Thanks everyone for the wonderful help!
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Wee Lassie, thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I'm so excited about this trip that I just keeping saying, "Oh! I must include that, and that, and that..." So I will keep trying to be specific and see what I can come up with! Will be back in touch.
Old May 7th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

WeeLassie - thanks so much for the words of encouragement! I am so looking forward to this trip and get so excited about the things I want to see that I just keep saying: yes, that! and that! and that!
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:06 AM

We plan to go in June 2014 also. I am just starting to look at things so I will definitely keep this info for later. I love planning a trip. It's half the fun.
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Ah, go to the western highlands Lassie, the Isle of Iona (Scotland's spiritual capital), Mull & the Isle of Skye