Scotland itinerary help

Search

Scotland itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland itinerary help

I am planning a trip for 7 friends who are in our early sixties. Our motto on trips is less driving and more time doing. We like beautiful scenery, outdoor pursuits (hiking/walking/kayaking), history, local festivals and music, unusual art and architecture. We will be coming to Scotland in early June and these are the bases we were thinking to use. Trying to get bases set and find lodging now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
3 nights Edinburgh - have found good lodging options in New Town area, hope to walk or Uber to most of what we want to see.
2 nights Glencoe Area? - have not found many lodging choices near Glencoe/Fort William. Have found some about an hour south. Was thinking we would want to do some hikes and walks in this area. Also was considering hiking in Tossoch NP. Suggestions of other places to base ourselves before we head to Skye?
3 nights Skye - have found some lodging options outside Portree, and further out, we are considering. We are pretty set on Skye, even though I know there will be a lot of tourists/crowds and traffic (yuk!)....we think the scenery will be worth it (been the case in the US Natl Parks for us) and we will try to head out early in the day to try and avoid crowds.
I know several folks recommend Mull instead, but my understanding is that Skye really has the better scenery/hikes and that while crowds are part of it, they are not so bad as to make it not worth going. Let me know if I am mistaken.
3 night further north?, maybe near Applecross or even further. Have also thought of trying to see some Highland games, if there are any nearby when we will be there. Any suggestions for another base before heading back to Edinburgh to fly home?

Due to age and other places we want to see, this is likely our only trip to Scotland.....Kelly
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 08:50 PM

There are others much better qualified than I to give advice on your itinerary, but I just wanted to recommend that you consider staying in Plockton during your time on Skye. Plockton is on the mainland but just over the bridge from the southern end of Skye. It’s a tiny but idyllic little village, and staying there for two nights was one of the absolute highlights of my trip this spring. You can click on my username and my Scotland trip report to see the photos I took of Plockton.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 09:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. I'm about to turn in for the night so will post more in the morning -- but a few comments:

Your #2 makes no sense to me at all. Between Glencoe, Ballachulish and Ft William there are TONS of accommodations. I'd first check to see if there is availability at the Clachaig https://clachaig.com

Skye and Mull both have spectacular scenery -- just different. Been to Skye 4 or 5 times and Mull 3 X and actually Mull is very slightly my favorite.

Re Skye (and memejs' suggestion of Plockton) - yes it is popular and crowded -- but June is about the best time to visit because it is between the May Bank Holidays and mid/late July when British schools let out for the summer. Re staying in Plockton -- normally that would be a decent idea. But you will obviously need two vehicles so staying off Island would be just that much more hassle. Plockton to Portree is more than an hour's drive and it takes much longer to the most scenic bits. For Skye I'd first look for accommodations at Sligachan. Link here: Sligachan Hotel (fodors has a recent glitch so it doesn't highlight urls and it just looks like plain text) Sligachan is at sort of at the crossroads at the center of the island so makes all your day drives shorter.

Last edited by janisj; Aug 9th, 2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply Janisj!
I will definitely check out the Clachaig and will look again at the whole area for lodging. I was using Airbnb and booking.com, so maybe I need to search other ways to find something? or split us into two groups? A large self-catering house would be ideal.

Yes, per what I had read in the forums, we had already planned to stay on the island and as close to central location as possible to make getting around quicker. I will definitely check out the hotel in Sligachan, as it look ideal. Appreciate your taking the time to respond!

I will take any other advise you wish to provide and will likely reach out again. Much appreciated!
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 01:43 AM

Applecross is on the NC 500 and can be crowded, especially in June. The roads can be an absolute nightmare.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 06:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you really did want to go way north into the Applecross/Torridon/Ullapool area - mid June would be a little less crowded than later in the summer . . . But that is a long way from EDI. Plus you will have seen so much amazing marine scenery on Skye, I'd maybe want something different.

If it was me I'd do 3 nights either in the general Trossachs area, or in Aberdeenshire and down into Fife.

Trossachs = Stirling Castle, Doune Castle, Killin, lots of lochs/waterfalls, Inchmahome (assuming it has reopened by next Spring), Fortingall, Loch Lomond, etc.From a base in say Callander you'd be 45 miles from EDI.

Aberdeenshire/Fife = Dunnottar, Crathes, Craigievar and many other castles, Glamis, St Andrews, Falkland Palace, Crail etc. Tjis would really mean two stops - say two nights on Deeside and one night in Fife. From St Andrews or Crail you'd be about 50 miles from EDI.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 07:31 AM

June is peak NC500 for campers and motorbikes so anywhere on that route will be busy, including the Applecross area, despite the recommendation to skip it in a camper/motorhome/RV and the narrow roads will have inexperienced rental motorhome drivers on them causing rolling traffic jams. Same on Skye. We know, we did that route in a campervan as experienced drivers of the vehicle and of single track roads, in May/June pre Covid. It was not fun.
Maybe reverse the order of your trip?
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 08:20 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi and to echo Janis, welcome to Fodor's!

"Less driving and more time doing" is a terrific motto and using "bases" from which to fan out for sightseeing and activities is a good plan, depending on where the base is, and what the targeted activities and destinations might be. Scotland, in particular the west of the country, can offer challenges when it comes to getting around - narrow, often one-lane roads, pesky lochs and inlets that require long and indirect drives just to get a few miles, and in the summer, lots of other people wanting to see and experience the same things.

I am in the "Mull over Skye" camp, despite the glories of Skye and of Wester Ross, the mainland areas to the east and north of the island. My reason for this is simple enough; within striking distance of Oban there are numerous destinations and activities that lend themselves to the sort of visit you seem to be advocating. Aside from the islands accessible from Oban (not just Mull, but Islay, Jura, Iona and Staffa) you're within an hour's drive of Glen Coe, Kilmartin and Kilmartin Glen with their huge collections of prehistoric sites, Kilchurn Castle, the Falls of Cruachan, Inveraray with its famous castle, and numerous other fab destinations. If you haven't found it already, have a look at Undiscovered Scotland - Undiscovered Scotland: Home Page - for pretty comprehensive coverage of the country's towns, natural features and regions.

As for Mull itself, I'll let you do your own research. It has it all - mountains, beaches, waterfalls, standing stones, incredible seafood... but with (usually) far fewer people competing for parking places or crowding the roads.

As for a destination in the northwest, I think you'd have to weigh that against some of the other stated wishes for the trip, in particular being able to attend a Highland Games. I had a look at a games calendar - Royal Scottish Highland Games Association :: RSHGA - and note that in June the bulk of the games' locations are around Glasgow and in Aberdeenshire, with a couple in or near Fife, i.e. in the east of the country rather than the north and west.

If it was me, I'd give very strong consideration to swapping someplace in "Royal Deeside" (the areas around the River Dee, which empties at Aberdeen) rather than Applecross or the NW Highlands. In addition to proximity to some Highland Games sites, this area also offers spectacular Highland scenery, numerous castles and historic sites, distilleries, and lovely wee towns. As with the Oban/Mull area, a "base" in this area could be an ideal jumping-off point for excursions, hikes, etc., without having to relocate every day or two. It would also put you closer to Edinburgh when it's time to head home.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Fortunately, you have plenty of time to plan and do some "what if" thought experiments, so have at. You're going to have a terrific time, wherever you end up. And again, welcome!

Last edited by Gardyloo; Aug 11th, 2022 at 08:23 AM.