Scotland itinerary

Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland itinerary

We are planning a driving trip to Scotland from Wigan to take in the Proclaimers concert in Glasgow on December 2nd 2015. We intend to also include a visit to Skye, Glencoe, Creif, Edinburgh then finishing off with visit to Lindisfarne. This should take no longer than 1 week. Can anyone advise routes accommodation types (2 males, cousins), We intend to start in Edinburgh as other relatives will there at the same time so could do the Lindisfarne trip first. Our mode of transport will be 4x4 so should have no problem with any inclement weather. We already have accommodation arranged in Glasgow so that part of the trip is accounted for. The trip, other than Glasgow is to incorporate history and music if at all possible. We could also reverse the itinerary to finish in Lindisfarne, time being major factor as we are also planning trip to Canaries early December to catch best flight prices.
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 01:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd use the Michelin or AA websites as Google Directions tend to understimate the timings.

Lindisfarne timetables http://www.visitnorthumberland.com/c...crossing-times
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 01:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree - use the AA journey planner. A week is not really long enough for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Skye, Glencoe, Creiff, and Holy Island. Even in summer that would be tough itinerary.
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 03:38 AM

Sorry - too many places in too little time. You will sped the bulk of your time in transit and have little to actually do or see anything - unless you just want drive-bys. Esp given the very short hours of daylight that time of year.
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 06:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In May 2016 my wife and I (we're 36 y/o) will be flying into Venice (arriving in AM) and spending 1 night there. Then training to Florence for two nights (2.5 days), >>

my first reaction, without seeing the other posts was "A week?" good grief. Nothing like long enough. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the same thought. personally if I had a week in December I would concentrate on Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Lindisfarne.
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 07:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oops, sorry - wrong quote, right thread.
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 01:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Annhig: I agree (w/ the right bits ) and even JUST that would be pretty rushed
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 11:53 PM

To do Wigan to Lindisfarn and on to Edinburgh, will take a full day. The drive there is 4 1/2 hours and it's another 2 to Edinburgh. Given the time of year, I suggest you spend the night. A sharp departure day 2 will have you in Edinburgh by 10 and the guts of a full day ahead of you.

Spend a couple of days in Edinburgh (you just MUST) then a day to drive to Glencoe via Crieff (do you need an overnight in Crieff? Why Crieff). Overnight in Glencoe

The Skye bit is where it gets dodgy. To avoid retracing your stpes, you need to drive up to Kyle of Lochalsh, and over the bridge, then come back via the Armadale to Mallaig ferry. All doable, if you're prepared to end up in Glasgow just in time for the concert, but, if you want a day in Glasgow at the end, you need to lose a day elsewhere.

the only dodgy bits for weather would be Crieff to Glencoe if it snows (and it probably won't), and the ferry crossing if it blows- you just have to come off over the bridge if that happens. It adds a few hours, so plan it in.

What do you think? And what sort of music?
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 01:09 AM

It would be a shame to skip Glasgow, which we enjoyed more than Edinburgh.
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 01:34 AM
ESW

Before committing yourself to visiting Lindisfarne, check out the tide times for the day you plan to visit, using the link in the first post. Lindisfarne is reached by a tidal causeway and is only accessible for a limited numbr of hours each day. As the sand is very flat the tide comes in at an amazing speed so don't be tempted to 'risk it' Those that do come to grief. There is a refuge for people but the salt water won't do the car much good.... Also note that in December the Priory is only open weekends and the castle is only open 28th & 29th November.

Have you factored in daylight hours? Sun rise at the start of December is after 8am and sun sets before 4pm. On dull cloudy days day length will seem even shorter. You don't want to be driving Scottish roads in the dark. Not only won't you see anything, there is also the risk of hitting deer in the Highlands.