Scotland Itineary Help

Mar 28th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Scotland Itineary Help

My wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland in 05. Need help on where to go. We both like English History. I am looking at Edinburg-how many days?,Stirling. Any suggestions? we would like to stay whatever in Edinburgh, rent a car and then start traveling. Trip would be 10-14 days. Thanks
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:14 PM

If your interest is English history, I guess you should concentrate on those places where we fought each other. If that was a solipsism, then the options are far greater.

All of Scotland has history. can you narrow it down for us? I'd have said 3/4 days in Edinburgh, maybe 2 for eh Borders and Fife from an Edinburgh base, and the rest out and about a bit
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Try to get up into the highlands and over the sea to Skye as well.
Mar 28th, 2004, 01:15 PM

I too suggest you stay in the South. After Edinburgh you can visit the places where William Wallace, Robert the Bruce and Queen Mary were known to hang out, not to mention Rabbie Burns. There are many treasures to be found in the Southwest. Have a grand time.
Mar 28th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Chatters

My husband and I enjoyed the Inverness area where we visited the site of the Battle of Culloden, and many castles and sights with fascinating history. One of my favorites was Loch Leven, a castle that sits on an island off the shores of Kinross (about 10-15 minutes boat ride from Kinross, a town about two hours of Edinburgh). I would definitely recommend a ride around Loch Lommond, and a tour of the Western Highlands is a must; Fort William, Glencoe (gorgeous!).

Mar 29th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Edinburgh is a beutiful city. Personally, I enkoyed having a few days in a B & B and just taking it all in. the castle is a must, the Royal Mile and Princes Street are great fun for shopping and having a look around. In Edinburgh, I alwasy suggest for those looking for a little piece of home the starbucks on Princes street. It is on the secon floor and has nothing but windows looking out onto the castle. It is a wonderful place to sit and marvel at the castle and the city.
Stirling has alot of history an can be a great place to visit. you may be able to do this as a day trip from Edinburgh. Persoanlly, I lived there for two months and travelled all around using Stirling as a home base, but I was attedning the Univeristy at the time. Definately see Stirling castle, and take a walk through the town. There are many wonderful sight to see there. Pick up a guide to Stirling to find all of its hidden treasures.
If you are staying within Scotland, you may not even need a car. I didnt. Buses and trains were very reliable and I never has to worry about parking! ;-) Stirling is only a short trip from Edinburgh by train, and citylink has a sufficient bus schedule for exploring Northern Scotland.

Have fun!
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:10 AM

I am of course biased but our website : www.kilronan.co.uk has pages of information on what to see and do in Central Scotland. Stirling is steeped in History. Stirling Castle, Wallace (Braveheart) Monument and Bannockburn are a must. To stay in Edinburgh can be expensive. It could be cost effective to stay in Stirling and take a train or bus to Edinburgh.