Reload this Page >

Scotland in the Spring

Search

Scotland in the Spring

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 04:17 AM
MacMoseley

Scotland in the Spring

We're planning a trip to Scotland in May. Any recommendations as to wonderful sites, lodging, etc. Appreciate any suggestions to make this the trip of a lifetime.

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 06:32 AM
mybonny

I've been to Scotland twice, and still feel I've missed out on a lot, so I'll list the places I have been but expect other posters to have plenty to add. <BR> <BR>Starting at the south, I really enjoyed the ruins at Hadrian's Wall, between England and Scotland. I went to the Housesteads Fort site and found the museum to be a good source of information, putting the ruins in context. <BR> <BR>Next, Edinburgh, of course. A beautiful city. The view from the castle hill is lovely if you're lucky enough not to be shrouded in fog. It's a good town just to walk around and look, and if you're a fan of ghost tours they have one of the best. It's even interesting from an historical standpoint, not just "this house is haunted" but true -horrific- stories of what happened in particular buildings. <BR> <BR>Glasgow was a big surprise. I'd just thought of it as a "second city," but I found it more pleasing than the big E both aesthetically and in the spirit of the locals. The architecture of C.R. Mackintosh is worth the trip (go for tea in his Willow Tea Rooms and check out the Art School) and the people are much friendlier, I found, than in the capital. They'll treat you like a peer, not an annoying tourist. <BR> <BR>From Glasgow I went to Arran Isle (not to be confused with the Aran Isles in Ireland). There are ruined castles, and prehistoric ruins, a collection of old farm buildings turned into a "this is how we used to live" kind of museum, a gorgeous botanic garden (not sure if the rhododendrons will be out when you're there, but if they are it's a glorious sight) and if you don't mind reeeeallllly steep hills you can rent a bike and ride around easily. As always, prepare for the worst, weather-wise. <BR> <BR>Next, Inverness. Can't recommend it, but there was no way I was missing Loch Ness (years of In Search Of as a kid, and I'm a believer) which is a gorgeous, gorgeous place once you pass the cheesy museum. Urquhart Castle is a picture-perfect half-ruined castle on the shore. We were there on a sunny, warm day. Don't know if I'd recommend it on a bad one. <BR> <BR>From there, we took the train up to Thurso and took the ferry to the Orkney Islands. A terrific place to bike, with tons of neolithic (I think that's the right word-in any event, really REALLY old) ruins and stone circles, some perched dramatically at the edge of vertiginous cliffs, ocean waves pounding way below. Much as I usually am loath to take bus tours, I have to say the David Lean? Lee? Blue Bus was a great way to get around and learn about the sights from stone circles to World War II battleships and a chapel built out of Quonset hut material by Italian POW's. We didn't do much birdwatching, but the Orkneys are Puffin central. Also, there's a zoo where you can get up close and personal with the Snuffalupagusesque Highland Cattle. Just time your visit carefully, as the ferries don't run regularly. We were stuck over a long weekend, but never ran out of stuff to do. <BR> <BR>Went through Aberdeen on the way back. Nice but nothing special, although there was a regatta or festival or something down by the harbor. <BR> <BR>Places I didn't see but hear wonderful things about: St. Andrew's, the Highlands, the Hebrides (my sister can't believe I never went to the Isle of Skye). I can't help with lodging, as this was a strictly hostel experience for me both trips (and yes that is a pun and I have nothing good to say about budget lodging in any of these places save for the university housing in Glasgow and a b&b in Inverness whose name I forgot). <BR> <BR>As for dining, again I didn't experience the haute cuisine (if any exists) in Scotland, but for a quick, cheap, healthy, filling lunch like the locals nothing beats the baked potato (there called "jacket potato") chain called "Spud You Like." I hope they're still around. Anything you can imagine on a baked potato, even haggis (no, not out of a tube), delicious, cheap and filling.

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 09:03 AM
Sheila

I'd like to help but would need a bit more detail. How long are you coming for, what transport are you using; what do you like to do; what is you accommodation budget; what sort of place do you like to stay in?

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 04:18 PM
Sheila

Planning a 3-week trip. Want to hear about pros & cons about self-catering abodes and B&Bs. Would like to spend 3-6 nights in one place at a time. Would like to break Scotland into 3 districts with a week in each and wandering each district, using a rental car. Figure to help our budget this way by doing some meals in. Does this help? Appreciate your advice. <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 04:21 PM
mybonny

What a lovely descriptive message you sent. Most helpful. If it's not too much trouble, would like to see Isle of Skye. Send more info if you recall any more of your trips. Thanks. <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 05:57 PM
steve

If you go to Hadrian's Wall and Housesteads (highly recommended), then stay at Ashcroft in Haltwhistle - a superp and reasonably priced B&B <BR>(Ashcroft Guest House, Haltwhistle, Northumberland NE49 0DA phone 01434-320213 - no e-mail) <BR> <BR>In Scotland, get the Explorer ticket from Historic Scotland and you will save on many admissions <BR> <BR>We stayed for a week at the Leny Estates Lodges in Callender - a centrally located town. It was a 'self catering' apartment - much cheaper than a B&B if there are many in your party. It was very nice - several less expensive ones are available - try the scottish national tourist office site. <BR> <BR>Of all the places we went, I liked Threave Castle the best, in the southwest near Dumfries. Caerlaverock castle nearby is also nice

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 07:46 AM
FrankR

Try a site called "the internet guide to <BR>scotland" - a wealth of data on local attractions, travel, accommodation etc. <BR> Visit Skye.Try the Floddogarry Hotel at least for lunch (near Staffin in Skye)May is a good time - the <BR>midges aren't around & the weather won't <BR>settle bad as it can in summer. <BR>(midges are tiny mosquitos)The scenery <BR>all the way up the west north of Glasgow <BR>is grand, the drive to Skye from Glasgow (there is a bridge now)is spectacular. <BR>All areas have something, check the guide to see what suits you. <BR>Inverness & Aberdeen are nothing <BR>special,Glasgow & Edinburgh have plenty to offer.

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 02:43 PM
Sheila

What a great trip! I wish I was coming with you. <BR> <BR>I would suggest a round Scotland tour something like this. <BR> <BR>Week one- base yourself either in the central Borders or Edinburgh, depending on whether or not you prefer the country or the town. take in the delights of the city- shopping, sightseeing, history, good restaurants, cheap restaurants, concerts, theatre, museums and mix it with trips round the south east- Floors castle, Abbotsford, Traquair, Melrose, Eyemouth, St Abb's Head...in no particular order. Self cater..you can either take an apartment in town or something outside. <BR>Leave Edinburgh and drive north east into Fife; take in the East Neuk fishing villages and spend the night in St Andrew's. Following day cross the Tay and drive up past Montrose and Stonehaven to Aberdeen. Have lunch. Drive west along Deeside over the hill through Tomintoul to Speyside. Stay in Nethy Bridge or somewhere like that. <BR> <BR>Following day drive up to and through Inverness and on north and west to Gairloch and Poolewe. Stay in Poolewe for a few days. Visit Ullapool and Loch Broom one day, then walk round Torridon the next. Then, next day drive south through Applecross to Kyle of Lochalsh and visit Eilean Donan Castle. Retrace your steps to Kyle and cross over to Skye. Stay in Portree, drive round the island next day, then take the boat from Uig to Loch Maddy on North Uist. Spend the day on the Uists, and stay in the Pollachar Inn. take the ferry next day to ban on the mainland. That bit is all B&B and wee hotels and pubs. <BR> <BR>Stay in or near Oban for3 or 4 days. Visit Mull and Iona, Loch Awe and Ben Cruachan. Drive up through Glen Coe; visit Crinan and have a superb seafood meal at the Tayvallich Inn. <BR> <BR>You should be able to self cater that too. Drive down past Loch Lomond to balloch and take a day or two to visit Glasgow and Stirling. <BR> <BR>How does this sound for the bones? It gets you mountains, cities, islands, scenery culture and shopping. Have I missed anything? <BR>

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 04:04 PM
RosemaryM

Hi, <BR>We are planning a self catering driving holiday in Scotland next September. We have booked cottages on Skye (Islands & Highlands Cottages, Portree, www.ihc.ndirect.co.uk for 185 pounds for three people per week), and Lochearnhead, right in the Central area, close to Rob Roy and Braveheart country, (Earnknowe, Lochearnhead, converted stone barn for 185 pounds per week. We have stayed there before and it is a lovely spot. Also have a cottage booked at Corbridge, Northumberland, near Hadrian's Wall, very historic village with Roman ruins for 220 pounds. Self catering bases from which you can drive off in any direction and come home to the same place at night is my ideal way to go. <BR>Have fun.

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 03:33 AM
Mary Anne

We went to Scotland in May two years ago. You will experience all four seasons in one day! We used Ft. William as a base for half the trip and Pitlochry for the second half. You can reach most places of interest from those two places. We ended up staying in Pitlochry rather than a trip to Edinburg. We find cities to all be the same. We highly recommend the Grange B&B in Ft. William. It was rented by Jessica Lange while filming Rob Roy and it was wonderful. The Isle of Sky is worthy of two or three days. Lovely. Have a great trip!

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 04:00 AM
Maira

Mac--- I spent a vacation in Scotland and I was enchanted by the landscapping, the history and the people. <BR> <BR>If you have the chance to fit Inverness and the Loch Ness area, please do so. Like mybonny, we spend time on the south, Edinburgh and the Loch Ness area and felt we didn't even scratch the surface (oh, well, we'll have to go back!!). <BR> <BR>If also touring the Hadrian's Wall area, I could recommend The Abbey Bridge Inn, easy drive to Housestead Roman Fort, which I highly recommend. I have posted info on this Inn. If you can't find it, e-mail me I will send it to you. On Inverness, try The Beaufort House restaurant, across from the Inverness Castle. Excellent food. <BR> <BR>Do not miss the Highlands. I was absolutely blown away by their beauty and majesty; will never forget it.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 12:08 PM
Diane

I've been to Scotland three times, the fourth will be over Christmas and New Years. We stay with family near Edinburgh but we always spend a night in Invermoriston, near Loch Ness at the Glen Moriston Inn. It is a bit pricy but it is worth the splurge. E-mail me if you want the detail. The restaurant is great - it is like an old hunting lodge. After that, drive out towards Skye. The drive to the isles is incredible. Skye is neat and I want to spend some more time there in more remote areas. See www.skye.co.uk as a good source on the island. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip. The place is beautiful and the people are wonderful.

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 03:21 PM
Ana

We visited Scotland this past June & July. My favorite places were the Isle of Skye and the Ardanaiseig Hotel located at a remote spot on Loch Awe. We spent two days at Ardanaiseig. One unforgettable day, we spent boating around Loch Awe in the hotel's motorized skiff. My husband, son & I were alone on the loch that day. We took the boat to Kilchurn Castle ruin with a picnic lunch provided by the hotel and explored small islands in the Loch by boat. An ancient graveyard was on one island and a ruined monastery on another. We ended the day by fishing in the hotel's stocked troutpond. The hotel's cuisine & service are wonderful. Ardanaiseig is a special place. The Isle of Skye is magical. We explored the entire island - took a boat to see seals at Dunvegan Castle, hiked the Quaraing, went horseback riding on hillside trails. We stayed at Flodigarry Country House Hotel. It was a splendid place. We hope to go back soon - we just scratched the surface. <BR>

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 03:54 PM
Jeff

Dear Mac, <BR> I love Scotland and there are so many wonderful places to visit I don't know where to begin, but here goes. <BR> I recommend a base in Edinburgh. The city has a lot to offer and it's a great place to start. I always stay at the Elmview B&B on Argyll Place. I've tried others, but they don't have the extras that you get at the Elmview (i.e. fridges, complimentary sherry, shortbread, marble bathrooms, large rooms, great proximity for sightseeing). <BR> I love to visit Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood House. I would also suggest a meal at the Marque on Causewayside. It is one of the best restaurants in the city. If you want ambiance, go to the Witchery. One of my favorite pubs is called Ensign Ewarts. <BR> I enjoy castles and if you rent a car, I would suggest a drive to Glamis or Blair Castle; Scone Palace is also worth a visit. In my opinion, you can't go wrong in Scotland. It has the most diverse terrain of any country I've visited. <BR> I also enjoyed Loch Ness and Uruquart Castle, Isle of Skye, and Aberdeen. I hope you have a great time. I've never been disappointed with Scotland.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 11:56 AM
SR

We visited Scotland last September and it is the best vacation we have had. No matter where you go in Scotland you will have a terrific time. Be sure to visit some of the small pubs - locals are very friendly. <BR>Some of our favourites spots: <BR> <BR>Be sure to give yourself at least a half a day to explore Edinburgh Castle. You can spend 3 days in Edinburgh. <BR> <BR>Visit the Highlands. The most spectacular scenery I have ever encounted. Just breathtaking. Take wiskey tour in Pitlocary. Travel through Tomintoul. There is a wonderful small hotel there called the Gordon Hotel. I recommend staying there for a night. <BR>Isle of Skye is an experience in itself. <BR>Don't miss Eileen Donan Castle or Stirling Castle. <BR>Check out the seals in Ullapool. Quaint fishing village - very peaceful and restful. <BR>So much to see! <BR> <BR>Enjoy yourself. You will have a wonderful time.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 02:45 PM
Maira

Bringing to the top for Andrew.