Notices

Scotland Help Please?

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Help Please?

I'll be traveling with my husband and 13 year old daughter this June. After being in Edinburgh for three days we have 6 days to explore. I am desperately trying to curb my natural tendency to pack in as much as possible. Here is what I have so far. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the "realisticness" of this plan. Any travel time estimates you might have for different legs of the journey, any ideas of "must sees" in the are and finally if you have a better plan of attack.

June 13 - leave Edinburgh a.m. Travel to Stirling, Doune and Callender

Where to stay that night -if tomorrow we are eventually ending up in Skye

June 14 - Travel to Glenco, Glenfinnan etc. Road to the Isles to Mallaig - ferry to Skye

June 15 and 16 - Skye

June 17 - Ferry to Mallaig Head South towards Loch Lomond area? Stay Where?

June 18 - More exploring in this area?
Arrive Glasgow that night

June 19 - early a.m. flight home

I have tried to make a circle and it appears from the maps in my trusty gold Fodors guide to be doable. However there is nothing like info from people who have done it before.

Another ? - I originally was trying to incorporate going up to Scone Palace and Blair Castle and then somehow cutting back over to get to Skye. This looks like too much time in the car. Am I right?

Thanks so much for all your help.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:24 PM

all of you routes are easily doable. No terribly long driving days anywhere.

Stirling Castle will take a fairly long time to even skim the surface, Doune Castle is fascinating and the very interesting Inchmahome Priory is also nearby, so plan on staying that night in or near Callander. It is FULL of nice B&

leaving the rest of your itinerary as is makes a side trip up to Blair Atholl difficult. BUT - you could easily head up there after leaving Callander and then over to Skye by way of Kyle and the Bridge. Then on the trip south go by way of the ferry to Mallaig to Ft William and down to Glen Coe.

You could Leave Callander early in the AM, drive along Loch Tay - up to Blair Atholl and then drive straight through to Skye past Eilean Donan.

Remember - in June it will not be dark until 11PM or later so as long as your B&B knows you will arrive latish, you won't be driving during darkness.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis!

I don't mind too much driving but my family hates it!

I think I will just save Blair Castle for my next trip and try to keep this 6 days leisurely. Thanks for the fact that it stays light so late.

Any thoughts on the second part of the trip after we come back from Skye?

Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone else help?
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:00 PM

I would recommend staying at the Leny House B&B in Callendar. We stayed in one of their cottages for a week. Very nice people, great location on a farm just outside town. Eat at the pub across the road.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

I looked at the Leny House website. It looks great, however it appears it can't accomodate my family as it shows only double rooms. Any other ideas?