Search

Scotland - Fort William transportation

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland - Fort William transportation

Hello,
I will be finishing the West Highland Way at Fort William and need transportation to Edinburgh. It appears that there is a bus; and also a train that goes through Glasgow. I have read the train is more scenic. Not sure of the price of either, but is it worth the extra money to take the train, or should I go with the bus? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Since I am a bit of a train buff I checked out both the bus and train options. Both would go via Glasgow and both would take about 5 hours. A quick check showed the bus cost at 25 pounds and the train was cheaper at 15 pounds, with an advanced fare purchase. The bus has a little better schedule. The train had a 7:30 or so departure and another one around 11o. What I suggest is to check out Citylink for the bus schedule and fares and First Scotrain or National Rail Enquires or train details.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:05 AM

For most of the way, the railway and road follow similar routes. The first part of the journey from Fort William is different: the railway goes northwards then south across Rannoch Moor, while the road goes south alongside Loch Linnhe.
Neither is very frequent so the choice may depend on the timing.
Schedules are on www.nationalrail.co.uk and www.citylink.co.uk.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

The train was surprisingly cheap compared to the bus, which is only about 20 minutes faster. There is only 1 train per day as opposed to a bus almost every hour or so. But I think I am going with the train as it will be more comfortable and a more interesting ride.
The advanced fare is much cheaper then the day off. But I am having trouble booking... I was told by Scotrain that you must have a UK address to book online - so I have called twice and neither time has anyone answered. I'll try again in the morning when it isn't so later in Scotland.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM

There are actually three or four trains a day from Fort William, unless you're travelling on a Sunday.
If you book in advance and arrange to collect your ticket at a station, it shouldn't matter what address you use. However, you need to check carefully that you can pick up the ticket because the booking office at Fort William will have limited opening hours.
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Will you be staying at a hotel, hostel or B&B prior to your train trip? If so use that address and have them mail to that address.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

I called at a better local time and was able to book my ticket over the phone, to be picked up at Fort William the day of. There is quite a price difference to book in advance versus buying day off.
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM

Glad you booked it. Do you mind telling us what you paid and the walk up cost. Thanks.