Scotland featured in May, Bon Appetit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who love Scotland, the May issue of Bon Appetit is dedicated to it. Piece on haggis and other foods mentioned here, along with tons of other info and gorgeous pictures.
I've never been to Scotland, but this 'zine may be the push I need!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the notice. I love Scotland. I went to college in Stirling and I am hoping to return this fall with DH.
I never tried haggis though!! It seemed frog legs were the big delicacy back then in the highlands.
I will have to go to the news stand tomorrow.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:56 PM

We bravely tried haggis when we were in Scotland in 1998 at a Robert Burns dinner. We were with a large group, and there were many different reactions...I thought it tasted exactly like the headcheese my German grandma used to make (we called it something that sounded like "hot-got", I'm sure it's a German word I'd never know how to spell). A guy from Philadelphia said it tasted like scrapple to him. Every culture has their own version of "mystery meat"...the Scots may be the only ones who celebrate it!

Beautiful spread in Bon Appetit. I peeked when I got it out of the mailbox, but I'm waiting to sit down and savor every page.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Thanks! That will an issue to look forward to; I don't subscribe and it's not in the newsstand yet (maybe tomorrow hopefully). I like it when the magazine features one particular city. It was nice when they featured Paris a few years ago.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it seems the May issue is always the one that highlights one particular area. I save them and use them if traveling to a featured place; running out of room for umpteen yrs. of Bon Appetits--and Gourmets!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:09 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, Grandmere. I just checked the Paris collector's edition and it was the May issue (2001).
That's true, Gourmet does collector's editions too. They did one about New York a month or two ago and had one about Paris a few years ago too.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Francophile, I used both BA and Gourmet on Paris for my last trip. Such reliable sources,n'est-ce pas?
To digress: L'Auberge de la Reine Blanche on Ile St.Louis, that so many of us loved, was first written up in BA several yrs. ago, probably in '89.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Whoops, misplaced modifier in last post of mine; we loved Reine Blanche; guess we all still love Ile St. Louis!
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:28 PM

How irritating- a client brought a copy back fromthe US for me. the food stuff is pretty god, but it is SOOOO badly edited. The geography is mince- stuff is put in the wrongplace all the time and there's a whole article about a restaurant in Glasgow where they've edited out the name and forgotten to say where it is.

Please just see the good stuff and come and visit us anyway
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:49 PM

Was wondering if anyone has tried any of the recipes...