Scotland Border Towns

Search

Scotland Border Towns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Border Towns

Hi - My party of 8 (4 Adults, 4 children) are planning a 3-day trip from London to Scotland via train to stay in (I think) the border town area. Our main desire is to take a day tip into Edinburgh. Any thoughts on which border town is the best, both for charm and access to Edinburgh? Our interests include scenic walks (with the kids...), good pub food and ale (with the kids...) and perhaps a few shops close by. If you stayed in any cottage that is worth noting, that too would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:52 AM

None of the border towns on the Socttish side are connected to the train network and the only towns on the English side on the network are Carlisle and Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Places like Kelso & Jedburgh would be suitable - but you'd have to get a bus, most of which run from Edinburgh
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
alanRow beat me to it -- The Borders are great, but there is no place you can stay in the Borders w/ rail service. Does it have to be in the Borders? There are other areas of Scotland that have decent train connections to/from England and to/from Edinburgh.

Options on sort of the edge of the Borders would be Dunbar or North Berwick. They are not near the Border Abbeys but you could see Tantallon and Dirleton castles and St Abbs Head.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM

It is easy to get to the likes of Melrose, which would be my favorite Scottish Borders town to base in as several ruined abbeys are a short bus ride (or longish hike) from it - I stayed in Berwick-on-Tweed and buses to Melrose and other Scottish Border towns in about an hour - very frequent buses from Berwick's train station.

Berwick itself was a very interesting town - fortified town with old military bastions overlooking the sea. And Berwick has hourly or so trains to Edinburgh - i did a day trip there from Berwick and easily done but i would stay in Edinburgh, IMO one of the world's most awesome looking cities and a great place to be at night when the castle on the hill is gloriously floodlit, etc.

Now if going to Berwick from London and back and perhaps doing some other rail travel with your group ages and numbers by all means investigate the BritEngland Railpass (or BritRailpass if also going to Scotland by train) - because of the Party Pass where the first two adults pay full pass price and each additional adult on the same pass pays 50% and each child under 16 gets a free pass to match what the adults buy - so for 8 people you can have an incredibly cheap railpass that allows you to just hop any train anytime - no advance planning needed - just hop on - a 4-consecutive-day Party and Family pass can be exceedingly cheap - even as cheap perhaps as the online discounts at www.thetrainline.com or www.nationalrail.co.uk - and those tickets are often severaly restricted as to changing and refunding. so at least check out that Party and Family pass with 8 people.
Good sites to help get a fix on Britain's rail system and passes, etc are: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com. Passes are not sold in British train stations. Not sure a pass is best but with those demographics check it out!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM

Please note, Berwick and North Berwick are NOT the same place...North Berwick is MUCH closer to Edinburgh than Berwick
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM

PQ needs to clarify -- there is no town of "Berwick".

There is Berwick-upon-Tweed (England) - probably the one he is talking about, and North Berwick (Scotland). They are 40 miles apart. IMO North Berwick would be a better option for both Edinburgh and nearby sites/castels.

But does it really have to be in the Borders? Somewhere near Perth, Stirling, Linlithgow, or Cupar would have rail service and have easy access into Edinburgh.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi - So sorry for leaving out critical information..... we are going to take a train from London to Scotland and then rent a car to get us around. (2 cars for our entire party). Let me know what you think. Thanks again.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM

Oh -- that changes EVERYTHING

There are tons of nice towns you could stay. In general, there are fewer rental cottages in the area so it might take a bit more searching to fine one large enough for your brood.

What is your budget?
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM

janis needs to read my whole post before making her usual pithy (and pathetic IMO) slam - note i said Berwick-upon-Tweed to preface my comments then later just used Berwick. Was this too confusing for you janis, dear? I'll accept your apology without asking for it!

Cheers - lose the attitude janis as you advice is sterling but you haughty attitude putting off!

There is Berwick-upon-Tweed (England) - probably the one he is talking about, and North Berwick (Scotland). They are 40 miles apart. IMO North Berwick would be a better option for both Edinburgh and nearby sites/castels.

I stayed in Berwick-on-Tweed and buses to Melrose and other Scottish Border towns in about an hour
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM

PQ - it no longer matters -- the OP will have a car . . . .
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM

Well, I think the options are Selkirk, Kelso, Galashiels, Melrose, Jedburgh or Hawick.

I've stayed in the hamlet of Bonchester Bridge in a cabin, but wouldn't recommend that for what you're looking for. For nice town, I'd narrow it down to Melrose, Jed or Kelso, and I think Jed is probably a bit too far from Edinburgh- although it could be done. So, I suggest you have a look at Melrose and Kelso and see which you fancy.

I did a wee rummage online for you and found

http://www.uniquescotland.com/ovenwynd/index.html

http://www.uniquescotland.com/springfield/index.html

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/webpages/...75&ACODE=S4484

http://www.cottages-and-castles.co.u...ouse-a849.html

http://www.cottages-and-castles.co.u...ny-nts013.html

http://www.littleholidayhouses.com/property?id=2392L
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:03 PM

Berwick and North Berwick are the two towns.

Don't think even the Queen refers to it as Berwick upon Tweed.

After the devasting effect of the decline of the clothing/tweed industries some of the border towns have seen far better days. Many shop units are boarded up and some have a feeling that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I would use Berwick as a base as it allows easy access to Edinburgh at just over an hour on a very easy A1. Some of the valley A roads from the other border towns can be hard work and take far longer for a shorter distance.

Berwick also offers you easy access to the castles and scenery of Northumbria.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM

PQ - it no longer matters -- the OP will have a car . . . .>

8 people in a car or dear do you mean cars or van?

are you gonna upbraid yanumpty for just saying Berwick?

zip it janis darling IMO
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 01:11 PM

"Don't think even the Queen refers to it as Berwick upon Tweed"

Maybe I should indeed re-phrase that statement?
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM

When i was in Berwick-on-Tweed (a k a Berwick) they said the town was somewhat sovereign and had never signed a peace treaty with Nazi Germany. anyone know what that nonsense is all about?
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Thanks yanumpty.....an ex bf of mine who was brought up about 15 miles from Berwick, never used the -upon-Tweed appendage......
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 07:34 AM

>When i was in Berwick-on-Tweed (a k a Berwick) they said the town was somewhat sovereign and had never signed a peace treaty with Nazi Germany.<

A myth that related to the Crimean War and Russia. Nothing to do with Germany.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM

There is Berwick-upon-Tweed (England) - probably the one he is talking about, and North Berwick (Scotland).>

so upbraided moi by janisj

yet alihutch posts-...."an ex bf of mine who was brought up about 15 miles from Berwick, never used the -upon-Tweed appendage......"

janisj - what do you have to say to that? Sometimes you write like you know more than you really do!
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Hi - So sorry for leaving out critical information..... we are going to take a train from London to Scotland and then rent a car to get us around. (2 cars for our entire party).

Even if just going to Scotland and back by train strongly look at the BritRail Party and Family Pass - you say you are staying only three days well a 4-consecutive-day BritRail Pass for all 8 of your party would cost a collective $748 in 2nd class or $1,100 about in first class - for all 8 people, traveling with one pass. That's about $95 per person or about 50 pounds - 50 pounds for travel on any train anytime there and back and if you did not want to use the car say to day trip into Edinburgh you could use the pass as well.

Compare these to fares you find on www.nationalrail.co.uk and keep in mind the pass let's you hop on any train anytime - and IME with a pass you can make free seat reservations as long as done by the night before.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I will let you guys duke out the "Berwick" bit (!!!) but want to thank you for all of your good information.

PQ - Will look into the passes, thanks.

sheila - Thanks for the legwork. Very kind. You put me on to a website we had not yet seen and believe to have a great booking as a result.

Any further thoughts are still welcome.... otherwise, I will write a review after our trip. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -