Scotland and Wales quickies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only one week august 7-13th, 2005, to travel from New York City and visit Wales and Scotland. I'm planning on splitting the time between the two countries, obviously I need the "must-see" sites.
I am thinking of flying to London taking a day trip to Stonehenge/Bath proceeding to Wales,then Scotland and flying back from there.
I haven't decided on transportation within Europe yet and any information on what would be the best bet-train, car or flight would be welcome.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a ridiculously short timeframe but it is all we have.
Thanks
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM
ron

Since you don't seem to want to visit London, you might be better to fly into Manchester, which puts you close to north Wales (which I imagine is the part you want to see) and closer to Scotland. With only 3 days in each country, for Scotland I imagine you would want to restrict yourself to Edinburgh, with a day trip to Stirling/Trossachs, or wherever. For Wales, a car to get you to Snowdonia and the castles would seem to make sense.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Consider flying direct to Glasgow or Edinburgh with Continental.

IMO a week is a very short time to do Scotland *and* Wales, never mind London *and* Stonehenge *and* Bath.

But if you want to go to Wales, can I put in a word also for south Wales - it has the capital, Cardiff, lovely areas of natural beauty in the Gower and Pembrokeshire, interesting industrial archaeology in the valleys, the Dylan Thomas connection in Laugharne & Swansea... South Wales has castles too !

There are quite cheap flights between Edinburgh & Cardiff - www.bmibaby.com.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:06 AM

First of all - if Aug 7-13 is the extent of your full trip you only have 5 days in the UK. (the 7th/morning of the 8th will be spent flying over the Atlantic. And most of the 13th will be spent flying home.)

So you don't have time to see nearly as much as you might want. Flying into London and then doing a day trip to Bath/Stonehenge would mean you could not head to Wales or Scotland until Aug 9 at the earliest.

So you probaly have to skip one of them (London/Bath, OR Wales, OR Scotland).

But if it were me, I'd choose ONE place for your 5+ days -- Scotland would be my first choice but Wales is also lovely.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Hire a car or take a bus from Glasgow up to the Kyle of Lochalsh in Scotland.And you will see one of the most beautiful scenic tours in Europe ,if not the world. It takes about 5 hours one way (although you do not have to go all the way. You could go as far as Fort William in about 3 hours But certainly see Glen Coe at all costs.