Scotland & Ireland Help

Search

Scotland & Ireland Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland & Ireland Help

Going in August via London (landing Aug. 5 and Departing Aug. 19).

Need some suggestions for Scotland especially as neither of us have been.

Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:11 AM

It would help if you gave us more information. You said Scotland and Ireland in the title, and you mention London -- are you going to try to get to all three places in two weeks? That's rather ambitious!

Are you renting a car or using public transport? What are your interests? What age? (20s have different needs than 70s) Do you want to stay at hotels, B&Bs, self-catering, hostels? camping??
Do you want to see cities, tourist sites, countryside, etc? Shopping?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors! You wll get lots of help here.

You posted this yesterday - so it would be better to top your earlier thread instead of starting a new one. "Topping" is simply posting something to a thread to bring it back to the top of the list.

Now - about why you haven't gotten any response on either thread . . .

Way too general, Scotland is a BIG place. What sorts of things do you want to know? Where are you already thinking of going? Do you plan on driving or do you want to try doing it by train/bus?

Also you want to spend time in 3 countries (England, Ireland and Scotland) in 2 weeks. That is very ambitious. In rural parts of Scotland and especially in Ireland you will be lucky to average 35 MPH so you can't cover much territory in a few days.

So tell us a bit more about what sorts of things you want to see, how you want to get around, and so on - then we can give you all sorts of help. And definitely consider cutting back to London and EITHER Scotland or Ireland.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

OK. More Detail. We're early 40's, so no 60 or 70 year olds suggestions please.

I mention London, because we are flying in and out of London (free tickets). We want to spend the majority of our time in Scotland and Ireland. We know when we are in Ireland we will be spending most of our time in the Dublin area making day trips, visiting family, etc.... What we really need help on is the week or so we will spend in Scotland. We know we want to go to Edinburgh and possibly Glascow, but nothing beyond that. Looking for some suggestions on can't miss things.

Also what is the best way to go from Scotland to Ireland? I know the plane is the quickest and probably cheapest way, but are there ferries/boats and is it worth the time expenditure?

Again, the time frame is early August.

Thanks.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - just a couple of short comments for you to consider.

it is very (like <b>VERY</b late to begin planning an August trip to Edinburgh. It is the abolute busiest time in the city. Several international festivals and the Tattoo are all on at the same time. So you should book rooms immediately. Most hotels/B&amp;Bs will have a 3 night minimum so your time elsewhere will be limited.

Don't know what you mean by no 60 year old suggestions - what can a 40 yo do that a 60 yo can't??

there are no ferries from Ireland to Scotland. Ferries do run from Belfast Northern Ireland to the far SW of Scotland. But that is a very long way from Edinburgh. So flying is your best bet.

Do you plan on driving? Cars are not needed in either Edinburgh or Glasgow - but to tour the countryside in such a short time a car is an advantage.

Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin are major cities, so if you are really into cities and the countryside/castles/scenery aren't that important to you then just fly from Dublin and stick to Edinburgh/Glasgow. Otherwise - skip Glasgow and spend a few days touring by car.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM

MWandMW:

Hey kiddies! at a young 77 I, too, am a bit chagrined at your comments...&quot;no 60's, 70's please&quot;..LOL, LOL again and again....I know 40 year olds that perhaps many of the 60, 70 and even 80 year olds on this board can run circles around when it comes to traveling.

Now that I've gotten that off my ancient chest, I strongly suggest that on this first trip you rent a car and it will make it a far more comprehensive trip for you. Don't hesitate...driving on the &quot;wrong&quot; side is easier than it looks..many of us have gone through it, trepidations and all. Driving Scotland and Ireland is by far the best way to do it. Please reconsider.

Stu T. (I'm off to take my nap now)
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Besides, as per the driving issues -- many of the smaller roads in Scotland are too small to HAVE a side of the road, so no worries!!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:18 AM

One good vacation idea for 40-year-olds (sorry, I couldn't resist) in Edinburgh is an early morning hike up Arthur's Seat. This small (but not too small - your semi-aged legs will feel the burn by the time you reach the peak) extinct volcano offers the best view you will get of Edinburgh castle, and the exercise and clear air will help you to digest your full Scottish breakfast.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Hey you guys brought up the age thing not me. You complained that my first post wasn't detailed enough and asked for a bunch more info, including age. Then when I said I didn't want to do things that my parents would be interested in you guys complain again. Jeez lighten up!

FYI, got reservations in Edinburgh with no problem.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:34 AM

Please don't take our friendly ribbing too seriously. Welcome to Fodor's forums. And congratulations on getting that August Edinburgh reservation - the festivals will be in full swing and you should have lots of fun. As you arrive the Jazz &amp; Blues festival will be wrapping up but you will be able to see the Festival Fringe (a largely 'alternative&quot; arts festival) and of course the wonderful Military Tattoo. Your parents might enjoy the Book Festival that starts near the end of your vacation (see, we're just pulling your leg).