ireland, Scoland, maybe London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two adults thinking about spending a little less than 14 days in Ireland and Scotland, that is, arriving from montreal (sorry English isn't my first langage) on July 21 around 11 am and leaving on august 4 evening. my flights are not bought yet because we can't decide our timeline.
We are more city people but can enjoy a little countryside and scenic views. I love history and Castle and Old city. We are open to museums but not a priority. We can spend our day enjoying the vibe of a place and drinking beers in a cool place, but are also suffering from major fear of missing out and don't mind being on a schedule. My BF worries that if we spend 2 weeks in Ireland and Scotland, there would be too much scenery, and would like to "squeeze" London in. Is this realistic? When it comes to Scotland, is it Worth seing all castles?

This would be a rough Schedule:
4 days (july 22-25) 1- 1/2 day in Dublin, 1 day and overnight driving to Cork OR Calway (for Cliff Moher, Blarney Castle or Kylemore abbey, 1 day driving back and Dublin.
4 days (july 26 -30) flying to Edinburgh. 1 day trip loch ness and around. 1 day Glascow 1 day Edingburgh. Although I feel we may like the isle of skye.
5 days (July 31 to august 4 ) flying to London, leaving on august 3 to come back to Dublin ( the flight is really really cheaper)

I have a feeling we are going to feel like we tasted only some flavors of all destination, but my BF fears that especially in Ireland we might get tired of scenery and countryside.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 08:39 AM

You can fly to Edinburgh or Glasgow (or other airports in Scotland) from other airports in the Irish Republic, you don't have to return to Dublin

It's Galway, not Calway

Loch Ness isn't the best of the Highlands and is too far for a one day trip.

Glasgow not Glascow.

You may find Edinburgh expensive as it's heading towards the start of the festivals

Have you checked changing doing the trip the other way around so you finish in Scotland?
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, sorry for the mispellings. There is a 240 pounds difference per tickets for flying out of Scotland, that's why I was starting in Dublin. But I guess you would mean doing Ireland-London-Scotland? It would be best to finish in Scotland rather than London?

I have been told London is a really expensive city, is Edinburgh too then?

Thats very helpful for Loch Ness!
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 09:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't have very much time -- I'd add a day at least to Ireland, then fly from any one of several Irish airports to Edinburgh then take the train down to London, and fly home.

BUT Edinburgh will be very crowded and room rates pretty high that week. So I'd recommend JUST Ireland and Scotland this trip. Then you could spend a week in Ireland and a little less in London. You do not have to fly out of Dublin -- there are airports in Shannon, Cork, and other places.

If you think you'd get tired of Scenery in Ireland - then Ireland may not be the best destination for you. Ireland is 80% about the scenery.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 09:28 AM

Oh and -- Scotland is my favorite place on earth so I'm not suggesting you skip it because it is not 'worth' visiting - but more that you don't have enough time for all three.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 09:40 AM

Ireland and Scotland are basically about the scenery. Yes, London is expensive and Edinburgh will likely be at that particular time. Instead of Edinburgh and London, look at other cities. For Scotland ( and I tend to agree with janisj that it may be best to skip it this time ) Glasgow could be substituted. For England, consider Manchester, Liverpool or similar. You’ll have your city experiences and can easily take a trip out for a castle etc.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

My BF is insisting on Dublin to visit Guinness, but i'm the one with the heart set on Scotland. To spend 1 or 2 days in Dublin and then head out for Scotland for 6-7 days before going to England would be a good compromise, in your opinion?
I wouldn't say money is not object but i feel if I'm going to Scotland i have to visit Edinburgh? The most expensive is my plane ticket
Janisj, you said Scotland is your favorite place in the world, yet you suggested Ireland over Scotland. Was it because i seemed to want to go there the most?

As i have to take my vacation in the summer this year, we wanted to go somewhere we would not go in the winter. Thats where the idea of guinness and Scotland comes from and now I want to see Castles and History and I feel like I would be happier in Scotland than Ireland for this. But, this may just be because I just watched Outlander ��
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 10:26 AM

>>Janisj, you said Scotland is your favorite place in the world, yet you suggested Ireland over Scotland. Was it because i seemed to want to go there the most? <<

Yes - exactly.

A couple of days in Dublin and ALL the rest in Scotland would be a great trip. Glasgow and Edinburgh are wonderful cities and there are terrific castles/scenery/history all around. Take your BF ti a couple of Whisky distilleries and get him off the Guinness

(IMO . . . traveling to Ireland mostly to see a brewery really doesn't make sense to me -- but he is your boyfriend )
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 11:22 AM

They can usually draw a good Guinness in Scotland too. I agree, do a day or two in Dublin, then head for Scotland. I wasn’t clear as to your priorities in my last post.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

after considering your advice and talking with the BF this would be our itinerary. Can you tell me what you think?

2 days in Dublin.
3 days in Edinburgh
1 day Stirling
1 day Oban
1 day Glasgow
1 day to determine in Scotland
4 days in London

1day left

we still have one day and i'm considering driving to Cork to see the Blarney castle or to Galway to see the Moher Cliff and taking the plane from there to Edinburgh. I still have one day in Scotland to spend, what do you recommend?
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:04 AM

day trip to St Andrews from Dublin and do Stirling as day trip from Edinburgh.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
If you head to the west coast of Ireland for a day, you’ll wish you were staying another day.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:28 AM

>>day trip to St Andrews from Dublin<<

How would they do that?

>>1 day Stirling
1 day Oban
1 day Glasgow
1 day to determine in Scotland<<

That isn't an itinerary so much as a list really. There is a LOT to see/do between each of those places but if you just want those specific cities:

• Stirling is an easy day trip from Edinburgh by train.

• Glasgow is an easy day trip from Edinburgh by train.

• Why Oban - it doesn't particularly hit any of your 'likes'?

Do you plan on driving or taking trains?
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking about driving so that we could have some flexibility as to stay longer the next day and such if we feel like it. or Stop to enjoy scenery.
Oban really felt like a nice place to just "be".

I also considered going to Aberdeen and/or Inverness. i've read in another post that "you can't swing a deceased feline in Aberdeenshire without smacking it into a castle" (which is a pretty funny expression to me)

It's true, it is a list. we like "being" somewhere, then, we'll have to make choices I feel the harder in planning a trip in a different country is not knowing where to start and I guess this list helps to focus on something. that is where your input is really appreciated: it is true, why Oban? It is in a lot of "must see" and "5 days trip in Scotland", but doesn't mean it is the best for us. This being said, with all the days in Dublin, Edinburgh and London, we could go and get some scenery. Just no hours long hiking.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 08:52 AM

>>I feel the harder in planning a trip in a different country is not knowing where to start <<

Maybe get a guide book(s) or check some out from your library. Scotland is a truly WONDERFUL place to visit. With such a short time you don't want to end up just throwing darts at a map.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 09:23 AM

>>day trip to St Andrews from Dublin<<

How would they do that?>

OK dementia catching up - Edinburgh of course.

and yes that new itinerary needs major retooling.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 02:38 PM

I actually have a very similar itinerary planned for my wife and I, just about a week later. Here's our plan:
July 29 arrive from Boise, ID to Shannon, Ireland. Drive up to our "base" in Galway. We'll be there for the races and to hang out in Galway (which, BTW, is a really great town, I was there about 8 years ago and vowed to come back).

On August 2nd, back to Shannon, fly into London.

On August 6, Virgin Trains East Coast to Edinburgh for Fringe and Tattoo. We might throw in a day trip to Glasgow or St. Andrews.

Fly home on August 11.

when flying "open jaw" if you have some flexibility in your itinerary, there could be some savings depending on what city you fly in and out of. I've heard that London has some extra departure taxes, so it tends to be a bit more expensive to depart from. So, if you can, check a few scenarios.

I'm fortunate to work for a company with an office in Glasgow, so I get to visit for work 3 or 4 times a year. I know it is tempting to try to see it all, but there will be so much to see and do just in Edinburgh, you could easily stay there and still have a great time.

We're doing 3 locations in 12 days, and I consider that to be an aggressive itinerary. You're trying to tackle twice that. That is a lot of packing, unpacking, driving, flying, airports, etc... Not only will that take away time spent on the fun stuff, it can really get exhausting and stressful. Imagine having to cut short a fun evening on the town because you have to travel the next day. You'll do that a lot with your current plans.

So, for Ireland, I'd pick either Dublin or the west (Shannon, Galway, for example) or the south (Cork, etc..) get 1 hotel for the duration of your stay. have a day trip, but leave yourself some flexibility. I found having a car in Western Ireland to be almost a necessity, but I can't speak for Dublin (seems like that wouldn't be an issue).

For Scotland, I'd set up base in Edinburgh. you have day trip options for Stirling, St. Andrews and Glasgow. I wouldn't even consider trying all 3 unless you plan on being there for a lot longer. Edinburgh is a great city to walk around in, and there will be so much going on at that time, too. I would also avoid having a car in Edinburgh. With a car, you have to pick a hotel with parking, and there are some great places to stay in the old town/new town area that are not readily accessible by car. If you stay near Waverly train station, you'll have easy access to bus, tour busses and train travel that will get you where ever you want to go, and you'll be a short walk from some incredibly fun places to visit.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

wow, i'm obviously one week early!
thank you for your input, we suffer from a serious case of fear of missing out, so we avoid doing those heartbreaking choice by trying to do it all. This trip might be part of the therapy ^^

I feel that with all the festivals we really need to makes choices in a really near futur or we are going to have trouble finding hotels, etc. Do i have some time or do I really need to get to it?

Is Ireland and Scotland similar in terms of scenery? I wanted to do the trip from Dublin to Cork or Galway to get a sense of the countryside as well, but i'm spending a week in Scotland. If it is a bit similar i could use thoses days in Scotland to live Scotland in a more significant way.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Soooo after reading your recommendation and other threads, we are thinking to spend 2 days and a half in Aberdeen.

My first question: are the opening hours in July different from those today? I can't find this information online. If most of the castles closes by 4 or 5 pm i will have to adjust this itinerary.
I was reading about Moray Firth Coastline, where should I go? is Fraserburgh the place to go?

what do you think about those 2 days? we would rent a car.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:23 PM

If you go to the website for the castles you want to visit, they will give you their summer hours. I believe that most will close at 5:00 pm .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -