Scotland 2007

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland 2007

I first want to thank Misha2, worldtraveler and dbaker for all your wonderful information. I am leaving for Scotland on May 15th from California to Edinburgh and I can't wait!! Just today I reserved a car in Edinburgh as we are headed to Oban. I plan to visit Mull for a few days and then head north to Glencoe and on up to Skye. We have 12-days from the time we leave Edinburgh until we return on the 30th. So to begin I need to get a travel pass for the ferrie. From your thread I believe from Edinburgh I should go thru Inveraray as we'll go thru Glencoe and Fort William when we are headed to Skye. Thank you for the directions to the beautiful road you toured on Skye. Do I take the ferrie to skye or the bridge? That would be the only time the car would be on a ferrie that I know of. Then when we leave Skye we would take the bridge. Thank you.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM

From Fort William you must go to Mallaig (sp?) and take the ferry to Skye, then you can return to Scotland proper via the bridge to Kyle of Lochlash farther up the coast and head toward Inverness or take the ferry back to Mallaig if going back to Glasgow area.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Travel pass for ferry? what's this? You can just roll up and pay the boatman for the car - though there can be a queue at times. Maybe you can book - i dunno.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I thought so. As for the ferrie pass...I can buy a Island Hopper pass for 15-days and can go anywhere any time. Then when the car travels on the ferrie I can just pay for the car. When in Oban I can travel to all the isles from there. When in Skye I will then be able to travel to Rassay and Ulig for day trips and leave the car.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

From what I read that has been posted to stay in Oban is very expensive and not that great. So where do I stay? I will have a car so anywhere in the Argyle area is fine. Any Ideas....
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM

We loved Oban, and it isn't any more expensive than the rest of the country (which is, of course, frightfully expensive for those of us on the U.S. dollar).

Here, have a look at our 12-day trip report from a couple of years ago:

http://www.onelittleworld.com/scotland_1.html

Hope it helps.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:12 PM

This is where we stayed in Oban, and we liked it. About 30 to 40 pounds per person, per night.

http://www.oban.org.uk/cgi-local/acc....pl?kilchrenan
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Travel pass for ferry? what's this? You can just roll up and pay the boatman for the car - though there can be a queue at times. Maybe you can book - i dunno."

Actually the Island hopper or Island Rover passes are a great deal - as long as you now your approximate itinerary. I've used the Oban/Mull, Mull/Morvern, Mallaig/Armadale version a couple of times. Saved a fair amount over booking separately.

If you are just taking one ferry though - like Mallaig/Armadale and then taking the bridge off the Isle, no need for a pass.

Also - it is best to reserve for the car on more popular routes. But you don't need to do that far ahead. You can do it from teh toruist information center in Edinburgh before heading west.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM

First I did not think that Oban was any more expensive than any other places in rural Scotland. You might find a place near Oban, but I doubt that it would be any cheaper. Lots of B&B's in Oban. I have stayed on three seperate times and enjoyed each stay.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all - this is great information. I am so excited as I believe that today I have finally decided my itinerary although a lot of it is left "open" for last minute changes. We will visit Edinburgh for one day upon arrival. Then leave by car to Oban and take our time. Spend a day on the farm there and I am sailing one day, can't wait for that!! A day in Inveraray and surrounding areas. Two days on Mull and have a wildlife tour set up and then a day to walk and site see. Then on to Iona and surrounding Isles on a boat tour and back to Oban.
Then we leave for Glencoe, Fort William and stay in Mallaig for two nights. Then the ferrie to Skye for three days and back to Edinburgh for two days. I beliive this is plenty to see in 17 days although I wish could stay a month!! I used to live in Aberdeen and have travelled the Highlands and east coast but never the west.

I would still like any input you have to offer for this regoin!! Julie
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:15 PM

sounds like you have some great plans. My only real question -- staying in Mallaig?? It is an easy drive from Glencoe/Ft William to Skye so unless there is something specific you want to see in the area, there really is not much reason to wait 2 days before crossing to Skye. And that would give you more time to spend somewhere else - maybe in the Trossachs.

You say the only time the car will be on a ferry is to Skye -- how about Mull? A car is very useful on Mull - it is a spread out place w/ quite limited public transport.

I would take the ferry on to Skye and the bridge back off - that gives you two really beautiful routes - one passing Neptune's staircase and Glenfinnan, and one passing Eilean Donan.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Janis. I was thinking that we could take the ferrie trip around the isles for a day from Mallaig, hence the additional day. The reason we would stay in Mallaig the first night would be because we would take our time driving from Oban to Mallaig/Skye. I want to see Glencoe and Fort William and of course the countryside on the drive up as I hear it's beautiful country. Please let me know your thoughts. Julie
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Leaving Oban in the a.m. (and not at the crack of dawn either), you would have PLENTY of time to visit Glencoe, drive through Ft William (no reason to stop there), stop to see Neptune's Staicase, climb up above the Glenfinnan monument for fantastic photos -- and still be at Mallaig for the ferry by late afternoon.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Excellent, thank you! Can you reccomend where to stay and where the best spots on Skye are and B&B's. If we do not stay in Mallaig we will have 5 days in Skye - I appreciate the info!! Julie
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Janis - do you live in Scotland or just travelled there?
Just wondering
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Nope - from your screen name I probably live closer to you than to Edinburgh (I'm in northern CA)

But I did live in the UK for 5 years and go back all the time (I give talks about travel to the UK). As for where to stay on Skye - there are lots of choices - my files are all at home and I am at my mom's just now so can't give you specific URLs or anything. But in general - if you want to be in a "town" look at Portree. If you want to be in sort of the center of the island touring-wise, then look around Sligachan/Sconser.

OR - (and I don't usually recommend splitting time but for Skye it does make sense sometimes) you could stay the first 2 nights towards the southern end of the isle near Broadford or on the Sleat Penninsula (near where the ferry stops). And then move to the northern end of the island near Portree, Uig or Dunvegan.

Skye is quite large and many of the roads are single track so it does take a while to get around. If you had 2 bases you could just about cover the whole of the island w/ a lot less to-ing and fro-ing.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes I agree, thank you. I have contacted a B&B on the west coast near Dunvegan. And will probably find another place for two nights closer to Broadford. You have been very helpful thank you. I am in the Bay Area and grew up here. Although in the late 60's early 70's we lived in Aberdeen where I went to grammer school. I have been back many times over the years but never to the Isles. My mom has always to visit so this trip is for her. Well I can't wait either. I love the water and connected with a sailor in Oban who wil take me sailing and I hope to do some kayaking as well. If you think of anything else please forward it on. I will monitor this site and of course send details when I return next June.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM

since youll be in skye anyway spend a little time in kyle,very picturesqe,and take a quick trip to eileen donan castle(20 min away in dornie)the castle was featured in highlander and a james bond film(not sure which one)it is the most photographed castle in scotland.if you need a place to stay i would reccomend the kyle hotel in kyle of lockalsh.the train station there is also worth a few pctures on your roll of film.have fun
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM

You can check ferry times and costs on
www.calmac.co.uk
You can even book your ticket online.
It looks like you'll be taking your car on the ferry to Mull and back, and then over to Skye from Mallaig. Check the price of the travel pass on the calmac site, but I don't think it will be worth while for your itenerary.
If you plan to spend even a couple of days on Mull you'll need your car.
When you come back across the Skye Bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh try and leave at least one day for a detour northwards - to Plockton at least, preferably as far as Gairloch. IMHO this bit was created last, after He had practised on everywhere else
Don't make any plans for your holidays in 2008 to 2020, you'll just cancel them and come back to the highlands and islands.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Couple of things for you to consider;-

Think about doing Inverary on your way to Oban, so you're not back tracking. You could stay thereabouts if you don't want to be in Oban and just go up in time for your ferry to Mull.

I too wouldn't stay in mallaig. Try Arisaig. You can get the ferry to the Small Isles from there too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -