Search

Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:46 AM
Chrissy

Scotland

I want to visit Scotland soon, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I'm not really interested in taking a tour there,and want to see lots of castles! If someone could help me with a sort of itinerary or some helpful info, I would appreciate it. I'm only 23, so I don't have too much money,and haven't traveled much farther than the east coast. Thank you!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:21 AM
Dave

The big question is: How do you plan to travel? Rent a car (expensive for one person) or use public transport (confining)? <BR> <BR>I've been to Scotland several times using public transport. I usually combine a Britrail pass with local buses and day tours to see out of the way sights. There are several day tours from Edinburgh and Inverness that use minivans rather than coaches. <BR> <BR>As for seeing castles, here are some suggestions (assuming public transport): <BR> <BR>- Edinburgh: E'burgh is one of my favorite cities and the castle is extremely impressive and easily accessible. <BR> <BR>- Craigmillar: in the south-eastern suburbs of Edinburgh. Often overlooked, but well worth seeking out. Can be reached via local E'burgh bus service plus a 10 minute walk. <BR> <BR>- Stirling: similar to Edinburgh in situation; one of the most important castles in Scottish history. Easily reached by train from Edinburgh. Lots to see in Stirling besides the castle. <BR> <BR>- Linlithgow: Not a castle, but a very impressive remains of a Stewart royal palace. On the rail line between Edinburgh and Stirling. <BR> <BR>- Blair: A very impressive Baronial castle, unfortunately covered with scaffolding when I visited this summer. Blair Atholl has a rail station; the castle is about 2 miles from the station. <BR> <BR>- Urquhart: On the banks of Loch Ness. There are bus/boat combo tours from Inverness. <BR> <BR>- Cawdor: One of my favorites. Puffin tours provide day-tours from Inverness to Cawdor/Clava Cairns/Culloden. <BR> <BR>There are lots more, some accessible by rail. Rabbie's Trailburners and Timberbush Tours both offer day-tours from Edinburgh which visit (or pass) numerous castles. This is a relatively economical and efficient way to see a lot of territory for those of us without rental cars. Both companies have websites - you should be able to find them with a search. <BR> <BR>Dave

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:26 AM
Dave

PS: If you want to see some photos from my most recent trip, they're on-line at "http://pages.prodigy.net/drsawyers". There are two pages of photos from my trip to Britain this Spring, mostly of Scotland.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:46 AM
janis

I try to visit Scotland at least once each year and often go alone so I know the pros/cons of most types of touring. True - renting a car for one person is a little more expensive -- BUT, if you can drive a stick and rent a small car it is very close to the cost of a rail pass. The flexibility it gives you is a big plus. <BR> <BR>You don't need/want a car for Edinburgh or the nearby areas - but to see the Highlands, west coast and the very best castles you will need a car for at least part of your journey. <BR> <BR>A lot deppends on how long your trip will be 10 days? 2 weeks? a month? So I will offer suggestions for a 2 week visit. If you have more or less time the suggestions could change significantly. <BR> <BR>Fly into Edinburgh and stay about 3 days. This will give you time to get over the jet lag and see a lot of the city including the Castle. You can take excellent day trips from Edinburgh booked through the tourist information office - but for each one you would add one more night in Edinburgh. Some to consider - Fife including St Andrews; Falkland Palace and the fishing villages; Linlithgow Palace; Stirling and the Trossachs; the Borders. So say you take 2 of these day trips - that makes 5 days total in Edinburgh. <BR> <BR>Then go out to the airport and pick up your rental car (don't try to drive IN Edinburgh) Drive up the east caost to Stonehaven - this route allows you to see Glamis, Dunottar Castles and Crathes - three of the very best. Then turn inland along the Dee to visit Balmoral (if you are interested in the Royal Family) or head northwest through Huntly (a fabulous castle). Then up to the coast near Elgin - here you can see Cawdor, Culloden and head towards Inverness. <BR> <BR>Not much to see in Inverness but it is the gateway to the west Urquhart Castle is on Loch Ness nearby. <BR> <BR>Then - depending on your interests - either head west to Skye for a couple of days or south into Argyll. This area has lots of castles and gardens. Don't miss Kilchurn castle. <BR> <BR>then back to Edinburgh to turn in your car and head home. <BR> <BR>If you spend 5 days in Edinburgh - you will have 8 days to do the driving loop (the ninth day is just getting back to Edinburgh.) This would not be too hectic and mostly very easy driving (small country roads - no motorways, etc.)

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:09 AM
Barbara

Chrissy, Janis has lots of good suggestions. When you say "soon", what do you mean? If you are going to tour around and want to see as much as possible, I strongly recommend that you go between May and September. During those months there are more daylight hours, in summer it's light until about 10pm (in winter, it's dark by 4pm). Also, all the castles and museums will be open to the public at that time of year. A lot of the sites outside the big cities tend to close between October and April.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:00 AM
Jen

Hi <BR>I am currently a student studying in Stirling, and like you I don't have much money to travel. If you want to stay in hostels there is great website called macbackpackers.com that has a list of hostels, around £10 a night. You can also check hostels.com. One hostel in Edinburgh is called the Castle Rock and is right at the base of the castle. I'm staying there this weekend so I can let you know how it was. Taking the bus or train is inexpensive and gets you everywhere you want to go. Renting a car can be costly, and getting used to driving on the other side is confusing. Gas is about $5 a gallon too. E-mail me if you have any questions!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
Ron

Chrissy, I think a car is your best bet to get to the most castles, especially the ones that are not occupied. My wife and I liked these best because we could wander all through them. After you check out Dave's website, check mine at http://www.iconnect.net/home/rsumners and for a fantastic travelog of a couple visiting castles in 1999, check http://www.frii.com/~phouka/travel/index.html Be sure to read their travelog, too.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:40 AM
Chrissy

Thank you!! I'm planning on a 2 week trip , but I'm really nervous about driving, so I haven't decided about public transportation or renting a car. The websites you gave me were really helpful also. I really appreciate all this. Thanks again!!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:02 PM
Danna

Don't give up the idea of public transport. We traveled by bus and had a great chance to actually see the country, and visit with folks along the way. The bus is a good way to go. Also, to main tourist areas, the bus will drop you off and pick you up along the route.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:23 AM
steve

I would certainly consider renting a car. If you are not a city bound easterner who doesn't normally drive, then you should have no trouble. <BR> <BR>I don't believe that any of the castles I visited could be easily gotten to by public transport except Stirling and Edinburgh. <BR> <BR>My favorite castle is Castle Threave, located south of Glasgow. To get to it you drive through the countryside and up a farmer's driveway and park near his house. Then you walk for about 1/2 mile between his fields til you come to the river. Ring the bell and a boat comes across to pick you up to take you to the island castle. Nearby is Caerverlock castle - Scotland's only triangular castle. <BR> <BR>Near Stirling are Castle Campbell (nice hillside location) and Doune Castle (Monty Python's Holy Grail was filmed there)

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 10:59 AM
KT

If you do decide to stick to public transportation: <BR> <BR>I know that there are bus tours from Edinburgh to Glamis, though I haven't taken one, so I don't know the details. <BR> <BR>To get to Dunottar, take the train to Stonehaven, walk from the station to the old part of town, then take the footpath along the coast (about a mile)or a cab (yes, there are cabs in Stonehaven). <BR> <BR>If you look at books like the Rough Guide that are aimed more at the budget traveler, they're more likely to have public transport info. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Joe

Chrissy: Dave and Janis have pretty well covered it, but bif you get up into the Inverness/Culleden Area, be sure to stop at Pluscarden Abbey near Elgin. It is an ancient Monastery still in use. A more beautiful setting or more serene environs you will not find anywhere. Also, DRIVE! There is too much you would pass right by inroute by public transportation. Driving is easy in Scotland. Drivers are courtious. I can't tell you how many great experiences we have had (and would have missed) because we were driving and could stop at will. I know there are other arguments, but we drive every time.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 02:32 AM
Jenny

Hi, <BR> <BR>You could try having a look at http://www.radicaltravel.com/defaulta.htm <BR>for a way to see lots without driving ... and you'd probably make some new friends too! <BR> <BR>Hope that helps! <BR>Jenny <BR>