Reload this Page >

Bologna or Seina?

Search

Bologna or Seina?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 11:45 PM
Hi

Bologna or Seina?

Hi, My girlfriend and I plan to travel from Rome to Venice (or vice versa) next April or May. We are thinking about either stopping for two nights at either Bologna or Seina (haven't been to either one of them).. am interested in hearing what people's opinion on which one you would choose. P.S. We're not interested in Florence on this trip.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 02:22 AM
james

Neither! I think both are one night cities. Both lovely, both worth seeing, but both small enough to 'do' the main interesting bits in a day. If you HAD to do 2 nights in one of them, I'd plump for Bologna.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:46 AM
Vita

Hi, Hi. I can't speak about Bologna. I just got back from Italy where I spent 4 nights in Siena. This turned out to be a bit too long and I was thinking that 2 nights would have been perfect. You could see the sights in Siena (there aren't many) the first day. Then maybe do a day trip out to Chianti or San Gimignano the second day or just relax if that suits you, then you can leave whenever you feel ready on the third.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:10 AM
deb

Hi, <BR> <BR>We also just got back from Italy. I agree w/Vita on the time to spend in Siena. Keep in mind if you don't have a car in Siena, taxis are sometimes hard to come by. We had a deadline to get back to our hotel (just outside of city) and it took us a long time to get one. Barely made it in time. Wednesdays in Siena is market day. Think of a flea market where everything under the sun is sold, quite crowded by 10:00a. Fun to wonder around and watch Italians negotiating with the vendors. <BR> <BR>Also, just a note about your decision to go from Rome to Venice or vice versa. If you plan on purchasing souveniers along your way you would be better off Venice to Rome. The extra bag we had by the time we arrived in Venice proved to be a chore when navigating around Venice. <BR> <BR>DFW 10/25/01

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:30 AM
claire

I don't know your interests, but if you are a "foodie," then Bologna is your place. See Gambero Rosso and Fred Plotkin's book and many others for an idea of what's there. Just bone up on where to go before you get there, as not all of the important places are listed in mainstream guidebooks. The ancient university makes for some interesting spin-offs, as well. Ultimately, I think there's more to do in Bologna, but you need to do your homework before you get there. Still, you can hardly go wrong with either choice! But, avoid Bologna in August: everything's closed & there are no Italians left in the city!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:38 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

No question---SIENA !

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Ursula

If you haven't been to either yet, I would choose Siena. But Bologna must not be underestimated at all.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Holly

1 in Siena and 1 in Bologna.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 08:56 AM
kathy

My vote is for Siena! Siena is one of my favorite cities in Italy. THe old town is lovely and completely closed off to cars and other vehicles. Also, from Siena you can visit many other Tuscan towns via bus. The bus stop is in the old city. Bologna is nice too, but my memories of it are not as pleasant. I just remember it being very hot (100+ F) during July/August and many places were closed. Much more to do in Siena and surrounding towns. <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:28 AM
russ i

I lived for 2 years in Bologna and can say that, of the 2 cities I would rather live in Bologna and visit Siena. In Bologna you won't see 1/10 the number of tourists and there is plenty to see and do: Piazza Maggiore, le due torre (the 2 towers - climb the tallest one), the portici to San Lucca (666 arches, climbing the mountain to the church on top), the piazza and churches of Santo Stefano, etc. Siena, on the other hand, has one of the most impressive Duomos and main piazzas in all of Italy, and the view from the top of the museum is unsurpassed. You really can see most of either in 1 (very full) day each, but if I had to choose, I would go for Siena.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:57 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon,. HI <BR> <BR>No question -BOLOGNA- <BR> <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il;. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:39 AM
GunterGrass

Bologna!! What a fabulous city, and like Russ stated, it will not be overrun with tourists. If you love gourmet food, take at drive to Imola and eat at the world-renowned San Domenico. Oh, Bologna, lass....das ist ein zu weites Feld.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 03:48 PM
peter

10 votes for bologna- the old quarter and there are many interesting day trips to be made from there

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Berthold Brecht

BOLOGNA for the experience of northern italian gastronomic culture.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Christina

Bologna- The food is soooo good. The best we had on our trip to Italy.