Scot rail Caldonian Sleeper train

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be traveling from Inverness to London Euston on the Caldonian Sleeper train and wonder what type of accommodation I should book: First class sleeper, sleeper, or sleeping chair. The price ranges from 136 pounds to 54 pounds... I am a solo traveler.

Also, any suggestions on how to get from Euston to London Heathrow? I have 3 hours to make the connection.

Many thanks!
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM

The train basically has only one sort of sleeping compartment which has two bunks. The top bunk is folded away if the compartment is booked as a single-berth compartment. The compartments have wash basins, but toilets are along the corridor.
Normally, the first class fare gets you a single-berth compartment, and the second-class fare means you share a two-berth compartment; if you're travelling alone, you share with a stranger of the same sex.
I can't see why anyone would want to spend the night sitting in a seat. There are often very good fares for the sleepers if you book in advance.
From Euston to Heathrow, if you have little luggage, the easiest is a short walk to Kings Cross, then the Piccadilly Line.
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:21 AM

It's been 5 years since I took the sleeper on the same route. Perhaps things have changed, but until someone with more current info chimes in: the sleeping chair is the equivalent of a typical seat on a train, that reclines. A sleeper is a very small compartment that makes up into 2 bunk beds. You may have to share it with someone else. With first class singles, you are guaranteed to have it all to yourself. The have pictures of the various options on their website.

Does your plane leave 3 hours after you get into Euston, or do you have 3 hours just to get to Heathrow? If the latter, would just take the tube. Our train arrived in London 3 hours late.
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your flight is to the US you need more than three hours from arrival into Euston, however you travel to Heathrow. The Piccadilly line will take an hour. A taxi to Paddington and the Heathrow Express will save some time, depending on traffic.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. My flight to US leaves at 1pm and I think I might make the King's cross connection with very little luggage-

Any difference in first class/ vs. /standard accommodation on the train?
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm for pix of the accommodation. And lots of other info!
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:02 AM

As another poster said, as a single traveller you have to share in standard class, whereas if you pay for first you get a compartment to yourself. I think the compartments are identical, you just get a better breakfast if you go first.

Be aware that there are no showers, just the standard train WC/washbasin combo.

Personally I'd fly.