Search

Newcastle info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newcastle info

Hello everyone - our daughter just started school near Newcastle as an exchange student. My wife and I are going through Heathrow on a trip and would like to go see her. Can anyone offer tips on the best way to get there from Heathrow (and back)? Also, any good hotel recommendations in Newcastle?

thanks in advance
Fred
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Train is easy and fast. Heathrow-Paddington via Heathrow Express then tube or taxi to Kings Cross then trains hourly at least to Newcastle. If going round trip by rail investigate the BritRail Pass as your round trip may cost more than the pass, which can also be used on the pricey Heathrow Express. For current BritRail fares (off-peak special until 2/29 at 25%off) call 800-441-9413, these folks will answer all your rail questions and give schedules, etc.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM

If you will actually be staying in London, Easyjet may also be an option. They fly from Stansted to Newcastle for as little as 8 pounds each way (not including tax/fees). Must add the cost to get to and from Stanstead in your total costs.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Actually if you are planning on heading directly from LHR to Newcastle after a transatlantic flight, PalQ's itinerary could be a nightmare. Especially if you are jet lagged and have any luggage - hike from the terminal to the train station, hike from the Heathrow Express down into the tube, then up again at Kings Cross and walk to the train. And then a 5 hour train ride.

But flying from Stansted would be time consuming too -- up to a two hour coach ride from LHR to Stansted and then flying north. But this would be my choice if I wanted to get to Newcastle w/o going anywhere else.

But if it were me -- I would fly directly from LHR to Edinburgh and then catch the train south to Newcastle. This would involve a 15-20 minute bus ride from EDI airport to the train station but a lot less bother than the train/tube/train.

OR - your daughter could take the train from Newcastle to Edinburgh and meet you there. Edinburgh is a fabulous place to visit.

All of these options would be different if you were to overnight in central London. In that case I'd take the train.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Not 5 hours but 3 hours by train. Need not be so bad - the train station is a short walk from terminal 4 and not much farther from terminals 1,2 and 3 (these have a unified train stop). At Paddington taxis literally meet trains, drive right into the heathrow express arrival area, you get out at kings cross and hop the train for a relaxing 3 hour ride where you actually see the countryside. Otherwise yes if flying from heathrow to Newcastle yes easier but to get to Stansted Airport can be more a hassle than Kings Cross.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Heathrow to Newcastle via Edinburgh is a rather 'creative' route. It's a huge detour and will add several hours to the journey.

As PalQ said, Heathrow to Kings Cross via tube/taxi/Heathrow Express and taxi (depends on your budget), then a train to Newcastle (which takes about 3 hours) is one sensible way to do it, alternatively just get a flight from Heathrow to Newcastle airport.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM

DUH - of course that should have been 3 hours train ride -- I subtracted 1 hour from teh 4 I know it takes to get to Edinburgh and - Ta Da - came up w/ 5. And to think I used to be a math major!

But my point about flying to Edinburgh - it is only an hour flight from LHR. And and hour on the train to Newcastle - much faster that the time to get through central London and up to Newcastle by train.

But now that I think of it - I believe BA flies from LHR to Newcastle -- would not be cheap, but that would be the easiest way by far
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Getting the train is extraordinarily masochistic. If you're coming overnight to Heathrow and are deranged enough to get the Heathrow Express, you'll hit Paddington at the worst possible time.

The taxi absolutely does NOT come up to the train, and queues at the taxi rank at that time of the day can easily take up to half an hour or more, before a slow inch through London's rush hour traffic. Tubes from Paddington to Kings Cross are a nightmare. The fastest way around 0730 from Heathrow to KX is the tube (the LHR-KX tube line is infintely more reliable than the world-class disgrace that links - when it can't think of another excuse for malfunctioning - Paddington to KX), and the tube takes about an hour. Which is longer than the direct flight from Heathrow to Newcastle.

The flight could well work out cheaper than the train if you put one tenth the energy into getting a good deal that you'll have to put into the horrid rush-hour trip across London. For twenty-odd years I've had to do ththe Heathrow-KX journey almost whenever I come home from an intercontinental trip. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Whoa - I'm pretty confused now. I think I better investigate all options and then pick something - the best of the worst it sounds like. Thanks eveyrone for your input!!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me what airlines fly between Heathrow and Newcastle? Ballpark idea on how much? Finally, does anyone have any nice hotels they'd recommend in Newcastle?

thanks again,
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:12 AM
ron

British Airways, 6 flights a day. One way fares range from £14 to £150, plus taxes and fees. (Including fees, round trip between £65 and £340.

Sorry, I have only stayed in ordinary B&Bs in Newcastle, Corbridge and Hexham when visiting Northumberland.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:24 AM

I liked the Malmaison - ask for a river view. Big light rooms, funky modern decor, views of all the exciting new buildings on the river - the 'blinking eye' bridge, the Baltic Arts Centre & Norman Foster's extraordinary new Sage music centre.