schloss neuschwanstein

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:07 PM
liz

schloss neuschwanstein

We are planning a trip to Munich in June (we are both teachers!!!) and want to know if the castle of King Ludwig (Schloss Neuschwanstein) is worth a visit. We will have a car, so a day trip is possible. It looks beautiful in photos, but don't know if it will be swarmed with visitors, especially at that time of year.

Thanks for your help! I enjoy reading all the advice from other kind, intelligent travelers!

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:16 PM
julie

Yes, it will be swarmed with visitors, and YES, it is worth the side trip. They have tours in several languages, and it is a 'one of a kind' experience, and one of the most beautiful places on earth. Hint: go early and take your time.

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Alan

The drive alone is worth the time, and the views from the castle are amazing. I say go, despite the crowds.

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Liz

I have seen this castle three times and I have enjoyed it everytime. There are
English speaking tours--I think it is worth the effort. I am a teacher also and will be bringing friends to see the castle who have never been to Germany.
Happy traveling, Rosemary

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:20 PM
liz

Thanks. I don't mind the 'swarm' if it's worth the visit.

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:48 PM
nancy

Neuschwanstein is definitely worth a visit: Note from my Germany trip diary - Gorgeously carved wood furniture; fun castle. You can walk up to Mary's Bridge (I think that's what it's called for a terrific view). Walked back down for lunch, then walked to Hohenschwangau castle, Ludwig’s family home. Beautiful interior and paintings. Liked Neuschwanstein furniture better but Hohenschwangau had more furnished rooms. Another idea for a day trip (from my diary) is: Oberammergau, visited church in Ettal, very ornate, school is part of church. Toured Schloss Linderhof, grotto and kiosk. Beautiful, 52 acres of parkland. This is my favorite of King Ludwig’s palaces. The interior is wonderful. Regardless, it's all beautiful.

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:56 PM
bkf

Did it in July, cold,pouring rain,whiny middle-schoolers,no socks [BF before Fodors!] loved it and would go back [with socks,no middle schoolers, and an umbrella]WORTH THE EFFORT
enjoy
b

Jan 7th, 2003, 05:02 PM
liz

To B:

Middle Schoolers???? You're a saint!

Thanks for the advice - everyone.

Jan 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Russ

liz: Have done the tour twice, but have also toured a number of other German castles as well. The tour itself is not worth the trouble. I've taken both the German and the the English tour; the English tour was virtually unintelligible, as the guides had heavy, heavy accents and ploughed through their monologues quickly, without appropriate pauses or good intonation, and did so in such soft voices that they might as well have said, "We know we can't make this intelligible, but we have your D-marks, you'll never be back here again, and we're just going to get this over with." I get along in German alright, and the German tour was a good deal better, but even so, the history of the place is very provincial, as it centers around Ludwig's eccentricities, for the most part, rather than around any significant historical events; even in German, you don't learn much about Germany. The castle, barely 100 years old, never really saw much happen, and was only rarely occupied. It became a tourist attraction on the strength of its awesome appearance alone - a momument to the principle of form over content.

It is indeed the most impressive structure in one of the most impressive settings I have ever witnessed. I think if you're driving through the area you'd be foolish not to drive by for a photo shoot at least, and I'd recommend the hike up to the castle and to the Marienbrücke above the castle for the view, if time allows. But when it comes to the tour, save your Euros for a couple of Bratwurst, and save the time you'd spend waiting in the ticket-holders' line enjoying the view from the Marienbrücke instead; I enjoyed the Rhineland castle tours (Burg Eltz and Reichsburg on the Mosel, Marksburg on the Rhine, each of which is 750 - 1000 years old) much more.

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Mike

Yes it is worth the trip. Went there 2 summers ago in July, but ordered my tickets to Neuschwanstein from their website ahead of time before we left the U.S. We didn't have to wait in any lines for tickets. There is also another castle on the property to tour as well. Make a day of it. I don't remember the web site. We went first thing in the morning, no crowds, but we had also stayed in Fussen for the night. We flew into Munich then drove to Fussen for the night. Good Luck

Jan 7th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Mike

We were at Neuschwanstein this past Summer and bought tickets at the ticket booth in the town. There were no lines. The tickets were for a particular language tour at a particular time. Had to wait a half-hour or so before heading up the hill to the castle.

Don't know if you can get those tickets in the States before you leave for Europe.

Jan 7th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Dee

We took our 2 teens and did the tours of both castles of King Ludwig/family in June 02.

You can book advanced reservations online for a small additional fee which in my opinion was well worth it. You receive a confirmation number which you print out on your computer. Your tickets will be waiting for you when you arrive. The reserved ticket area is not well signed, but is directly to the right on the main ticket counters in a room that has sliding glass doors. Hope I remember that correctly. We wasted time trying to figure out where to pick up the tixs.

Both castles are wonderful. With the teens, if I had it to do again, I would opt for the tour of only Neuschwanstein. It's a beautiful area, there's a lake where you can rent boats, and be prepared to climb hills (up and down). They do have buses, too. We did take the bus up the hill to Neuschwanstein and did the hike back.

Be sure to hike up the short hill to Mary's Bridge for the most picturesque view!!

I do not remember the website for info and tix reservations. But any search engine will pull it for you.

Have fun. We loved Germany.

Oh, just beyond Neuschwanstein down the road apiece is a luge run. You must do a luge run in Bavaria. Just so much fun! Our teens loved them!

Jan 7th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Linda

We've been to all of Ludwig's castles and very highly recommmend seeing any/all of them. Neuschwanstein is by far the most famous. It's a must see for anyone even remotely in the region.
And you have to be the interior! It's wild........kitsch beyond belief. So what if it's not "that old" or a "real" castle. Ludwig was into fantasies not medieval dankness and it's a true fantasy. What the tour guide says doesn't even really matter...the thing is to see the incredible details and over the top kitsch everywhere. They don't allow interior photos with a flash so be sure to have fast film or get a photo book afterwards so you can recall the experience. Ludwig was one wild guy, let me tell you!

Jan 8th, 2003, 05:02 AM
xxx

Combine it with seeing his palace at Linderhof and squeeze in the monestary at Ettal for a terrific day.

Jan 8th, 2003, 12:18 PM
rob

Hi Liz. Definitely go. But go as early as possible, and you'll miss most of the crowds. I suggest staying in Fuessen, about 3 miles away, the night before your visit. That way you can get there really early without waking up at the crack of dawn.

Have a great time!

Jan 8th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Bebe

We enjoyed Neuschwanstein but we liked Linderhof even better. Don't miss it! You should be able to both in one day.