Scenic train from Venice to Zug?

Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic train from Venice to Zug?

Hi will be traveling by train from Venice to Zug in October. I think any train ride through the Alps is going to be pretty but I'm curious if there is a route that would be most scenic. What I'm seeing by searching the Swiss Rail site is that the trains basically go
Venice > Milan > Como > Lugano > Arth Goldau > Zug. The trip looks to be just over 6 hours. I would think that I could switch trains in any of these cities if necessary to take a more scenic route but not sure what that would be. I don't think it is feasible to get the Bernina or Glacier Express, too far out of the way and not sure I want to detour that far out of the plan anyway. But just curious if anyone has other ideas or experience. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:32 AM

From Lugano to Zug, there is really only one line, so I'm not sure there is any 'better' way. The view is pretty nice, especially in the southern portion, but not especially scenic. Pretty much the only way to avoid that route would be to do some crazy, multi-stop routing crossing the border at Tirano.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM

ditto to travelgourmet's take - there is only one line and IMO it is rather scenic - a long new tunnel is not yet ready for the Simplon Pass area so you still for the time being have lovely Alpine scenes.

Pay attention when you pass the Wassenkirche (just after Goschinen) - a lovely church that you pass by three times as the train loops inside a mountain - you pass the church three times from various levels, one at ground level - weird.

This Simplon Pass line does several other loops inside the rocks - all in all one of Europe's most scenic rail lines IMO.

Check out these sites for lots of great stuff on Swiss trains - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com.

If traveling much at all be sure to check out the Swiss Pass which covers not only trains but lake boats, postal buses and gives 50% off most cableways to mountain tops like Mt Pilatus near Lucerne. A few trips can make this pass a great deal.
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I thought this route would be scenic but thought I'd ask. I have been on this route before and remember it being beautiful but thought if there was an alternate, it might be fun. I will definitely look for the church near Goschinen! Not sure how much train riding we'll do once we get to Zug since we are staying with family, but I will check out the sites mentioned. I appreciate the help!