Search

Switzerland Itinerary Help and Train Passes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland Itinerary Help and Train Passes

Hi,

I have a 5 day stay in Switzerland, arriving into Zurich on July 17 evening and leaving on July 22 early morning. I am planning on traveling to Lucerne on July 17 evening immediately after arrival, staying there as the base station from 17 to 21st and coming back to Zurich on 21st evening to stay at a airport hotel that night.

1. Of the 4 days in Lucerne, I am planning for day trips on 3 days(Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis, and Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen) and cover Lucerne in the remaining 1 day. Do you think that I can do each of those 3 places in a day each. Also whats the best way to enjoy those(I read something about a golden pass for a cruise/gondola/train), how do I book that?

2. What is the best train pass to get for me+wife for 5 days Jul 17 and Jul 21. I need to travel to and from Zurich-Lucerne , and then day trips from Lucerne to Mt Pilatus/Mt Titlis/ Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen.

Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 08:49 AM

You are not traveling a whole lot so a pass for you may not be better than buying regular tickets. But you could consider the 4-consecutive-day pass as the best pass option as you are moving around daily it seems. But I'd first check into the Berner Oberland Pass and see if it covers the Lucerne area as it definitely does the Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen area - valid on trains, buses and many gondolas and covering more things than the Swiss Pass actually.

Anyway here are some fine sites to check about Swiss trains and the places you want to go to: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.

The Golden Pass train links Lucerne to Interlaken-Ost station where you change to trains to Lauterbrunnen - it goes up and over the scenic Brunig Pass and has special domes observation cars and commentary in several language IME en route. There are also regular trains over the exact same route - it does not include any gondolas or any cruises.
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 09:42 AM

Hi vinceguy,

I'm afraid that I don't think it's a great idea to make a day-trip to Lauterbrunnen/Interlaken from Luzern. Those towns are not really very special -- most folks use them as a base to see the mountains, which are a further 2h away. It will take about 4h or 5h to get from Luzern to the Jungfraujoch, so that will mean about 8h or 10h inside a train in one day.

If you feel you must see the Jungfrau area, then you ought to stay nearby. Otherwise, spend your time seeing the beauty of Luzern and what's nearby -- there's more than enough to fill three whole days -- Engelberg, Titlis, Brunnen, Vitznau, Weggis, and of course the lake system.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 11:05 AM

I agree that concentrating on Luzern and environs is best for this stay. The Golden Pass Roundtrip up to Pilatus ca be booked at the Tourist Info office in the front corner of the Luzern main train station. They will sort out what the $ supplement is with whichever train pass you end up with. There is a camera there for seeing what the weather up above looks like...some days the weather is not fair enough to make the trip "worth it." Most televisions also have a tourist channel to check mountaintop weather from you hotel as well. Be aware that lines can get long in the TI, so leave enough time.
you can check sample traintrips at www.rail.ch/en
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Sorry, proper train schedules (in English) at
www.sbb.en/home.html

for Pilatus Goldener Rundfahrt via boat to Alpnachstad, funicular, etc
start at Luzern and end at Pilatus Kulm, going roundtrip.
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Aargh! Maybe third times a charm!

www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 01:14 PM

If you have never been to Switzerland before then I would highly encourage you to stay in the Interlaken/Jungfrau Region - the most awesome Alpine scenery in Switzerland - glacier-girdled peaks soaring thousands of feet above lush cow-toting bells doted meadows - mountain towns with hotels and guest houses with scintillating views of the high peaks

and a host of varied things to do - hiking for all energies, lake boats rides on the two lakes bookending Interlaken, ascending the Schilthorn or to the Jungffraujoch - western Europe's highest train station and located around a sea of ice - top of the world feeling, etc.

Lucerne is a beautiful city but a city - not a small city either with relatively little to do in it itself. The essence of the Switzerland etched in many folks' minds lies not here where the mountains are much lower and largely in the distance will not be fulfilled by Lucerne but will by staying the whole time in a dreamy mountain town like Wengen, Muren, Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald.

And the train ride from Zurich is short enough. Stay your last night or two nights perhaps in Lucerne and go to the airport from there. Take the official Golden Pass scenic train from Interlaken to Lucerne.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 01:06 PM

Also whats the best way to enjoy those>

you can mix in a boat steamer ride on lovely Lake Lucerne with either mountain top trip - for Pilatus take a boat to
Alpnachstand where from the docks one of the world's steepest mountain trains takes you to the summit - then return to Lucerne via cable cars to Krens, in suburban Lucerne with buses the few miles back to the town center.

For Engleberg- base for Titlis take a boat to Hergiswil and join the Lucerne-engleberg train line there - or maybe reverse them and take the boat leisurely back to Lucerne after a day of sightseeing up top.