Scavi Tour of Vatican

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:47 AM
rjs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scavi Tour of Vatican

Hi everyone,

Can you tell me how long it takes to get a response from Scavi Tours? I sent an email May 13 requesting a reservation to tour the Vatican in September. When I didn't get any reply, I forwarded my May 13 email again on June 2 asking if we had received a reservation yet to tour the Vatican. As of today, June 16, I still have not heard anything, except for their automated response that they received my email (I did get that response immediately).

Does it normally take this long to hear about a reservation? I gave specific dates (a couple to pick from in hopes I would get a better chance of getting a reservation). Should I try another tour company? If so, any suggestions? Any help/advice is so greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:59 AM

First, there is no other tour company that can get you tickets for the Scavi tours; they are administered solely and completely by the Vatican's Ufficio Scavi.

Second, I would suggest that you refrain from sending and re-sending your messages; the Web site specifically asks that such messages not be sent, let alone at two week intervals!

Third, recent messages here and at www.slowtrav.com seem to indicate that the Ufficio Scavi sends out confirmations approx. one month in advance of the scheduled visit.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I just reread your message.

The Scavi tour does NOT tour "the Vatican"; it tours the Roman necropolis under the Basilica of St. Peter.

If you want a "Vatican tour" - i.e., one that tours St. Peter's and the Vatican Museums, try www.contextrome.com or any of a dozen other agencies.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 12:15 PM

rjs, If you really are talking about the Scavi Tour and not a tour of the Vatican, I sent my request on March 7 for the end of Sept/early Oct. It took ten days for me to receive the automated reply and an additional eight weeks before I received the confirmed reservation on May 11. It's not true that they wait until a month before the reservation to send your confirmation, since mine is for Oct 1, but it can take quite a while!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I emailed on 4/19 for an early October visit. Only have received the automated reply. Hopefully I'll be like Susan P and get them at about the two month mark. Good luck.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I guess I must be in the minority. In October of last year I sent an e-mail request for the Scavi tour in December. About 3 weeks later I had my confirmation.

Tracy
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Email sent to Vatican on January 11th.

Confirmation email for reservations on June, 6th!

Tour is July 14 @ 1045
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:11 PM

I have not been able to find the email address to make a reservation for a Scavi Tour. I have been trying since last march. Whatever email addresses I find end up with the following statment "The following recipients did not receive this messagequot; Are my email adresses out of date??
and still
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM

FranknRuth, I just searched through my sent items in my work e-mails and this is the exact e-mail address I used: [email protected]

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Hi rjs,
1. The others are correct, the scavi tours are that of the excavations beneath St.Peters, not of the cuurent church and museums.

2. Emperically, it seems that you recieve your reservation confirmation closer to your tour date, not as and when you mail them. They probably only decide on the tour schedule ( times, languages, docents, etc) about 4-6 weeks before the date and thats when they send out confirmation emails.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:03 PM

ssachida, As I noted above, it is not true that they wait until 4-6 weeks before your tour date to give you your confirmed reservation. Even though it took almost 10 weeks to get my confirmation, I received it on May 11, 4-1/2 months before my tour date of Oct 1.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I think if you read the many posts here and elsewhere, there isn't any set apttern. Very often you can wait a long time (months for me-with email confirmation a couple weeks before that trip) and sometimes not so.
I wouldn't worry, but it can't hurt to resend every month until then.