Scandinavian summer trip advice wanted

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying to Stockholm the end of June and flying out of Copenhagen on July 13th. We want to visit Stockholm, Oslo, Bergen and Copenhagen. Please offer us any advice on what not to miss. Neither of us have ever been to these areas. Thanks! Kelti
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:05 PM

I'll comment on Copenhagen . . . but only on stuff you might not find in a tourist guide . . . like the changing of the guard, or the Round Tower or Vor Frelsors Kirke, or Rosenborg Castle . . . <BR><BR>There's a very old pub on Gammel Kongevej called Vinstue 91 which serves Carlsberg on tap the &quot;old&quot; way, by pumping it up from the cellar by hand. Best beer in Copenhagen, very smokey.<BR><BR>Gr&aring;br&oslash;dre­torv, or Greyfriars Square, is one of my favorite spots in Europe, especially in the summer. There are several restaurants that serve outdoors in this quite square. Peder Oxe is good, but there are many others. It's so quiet that you can hear the conversations of people across the square. It's about half way down the Stroget, it's where the Old Night Watchmans Tour of Copenhagen begins and ends.<BR><BR>Dyrehavsbakken - Bakken is an amusement park north of Copenhagen. Im not crazy about the &quot;amusement&quot; part of the park but the area is surrounded by the Royal Deer Park which is beautiful . . . and there's deer, too!<BR><BR>The cathedral in Roskilde is worth a trip, the chalk cliffs on the island of Mon in southern Zealand are impressive, Kronborg Castle in Helsingor (of &quot;Hamlet&quot; fame) is worth the expense of getting there from Copenhagen, Fredensborg Castle has exquisite grounds, Fredricksburg Castle in Hillerod is fantastic . . . and the lobby bar at the Radisson Scandinavia is action packed. Depending on your age and proclivity toward artificially induced fun you might visit Christiania.<BR><BR>Have fun.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:10 PM

In Stockholm be sure to see the Vasa Museum, Town Hall, Gamla Stan. Boats should be running to Drottingholm and Gripsholm. There is a lovely restuarant at Gripsholm.. an old inn... check it out.<BR>In Copenhagen be sure to try open face sandwiches for lunch. Ask at your hotel for a place locals frequent. Also, outside Copenhagen is a lovely museum... Louisiana... contemporary art if I recall correctly.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:34 AM

Hi! I live in Bergen and can reccommend some things! be prepared for rain, for the first, and it is a bit chilly even in the summer - but, the most beautiful place in the world, in my opinion! <BR> The train ride from Oslo to Bergen is ranked as one of the most beautiful in the world - and on your ride, try to combine it with &quot;Norway in a nutshell&quot;, which takes you on a boat through the fjords (it goes through Myrdal and Fl�m to Bergen). In Bergen, all the typical tourist things are great to see - take the funicular (Floibanen) up the mountain, and the Cable car up Mt. Ulriken is even more beautiful and you can hike-there is a red double decker bus for tourist that takes you up to the cable car - take that! Go to Fantoft Stave Church (you CAN'T miss that) and Edvard Greig's home (Troldhaugen) (both a bit out of town), visit Rosenkranz tower/fortress and St. Mary's Church and the highlight is the Fish Market and &quot;Bryggen&quot; by the harbor (all in the center of town). If you want typical Norwegian food, go to &quot;Kaffistova&quot;-right by the fish market - it's reasonable as well. If you are a hiker - Bergen is surrounded by 7 mountains and all are great to hike! Ask in Tourist info by the harbor. I could go on and on, so if there are other things - just ask!<BR>(I have also lived in Oslo, but I will save that info for another posting)<BR>Enjoy!Kari
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:05 AM

If I have not sent you my notes already, I will do so if you e-mail me.<BR> [email protected]