Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Museum Tickets/Reservations in Advance???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading that we should get tickets for top sights in advance. I went to the select italy website as I have read and it seems like they charge so much for their service and don't even include the cost of admission to most sights. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions with all of this? We have a very busy itinerary and we will be in most major cities for only 2 days so we will not have time to go and get the tickets the day before we want to go to a particular site. Any advice please? We will be going to Rome, Venice, Milan, Florence, tuscany and Portofino....Thanks!!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:04 AM
ira

Hi,<BR> Have you asked your hotels to help out?<BR> If they can't, here's what I ahve for Florence:<BR>Uffizi and Accademia museums ...The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services. <BR>
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:08 AM
ira

PS if the number 055-294-883 doesn't connect, try it without the &quot;0&quot;.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Here are the websites for prebooking the museums in FLORENCE:<BR><BR>http://www.weekendafirenze.com<BR><BR>http://www.weekendafirenze.com/museifi/uffizi.htm<BR><BR>http://www.florenceitaly.net/uffizitk.html<BR>and these are the hotels that provide the service:<BR>Hotel Basilea * * * E-Mail: [email protected]<BR>Hotel Pendini * * * E-Mail: [email protected]<BR>Hotel Ritz * * * * E-Mail: [email protected].<BR><BR><BR>http://www....ce_tickets.htm<BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:36 AM

ira,<BR><BR>Your first post was correct - you MUST include the leading &quot;0&quot; before the area code (this is valid for all Italian phone numbers except for cell phones).<BR><BR>Andre
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Hi<BR>In Florence, you would want advance tickets for the Accademia (where &quot;David&quot; is) and the Uffizi.<BR>Your hotel can arrange it, even a simple hotel can do this.<BR><BR>In Rome, reservations are required for the Borghese Gallery and for Domus Aurea. You can try going same-day and just waiting for a slot to open up, or again ask your hotel to arrange, even a day or two in advance will be fine.<BR><BR>Venice has a &quot;venice card&quot; for some alleged discounts on museum entry fees, but the entries are limited and the savings dubious. The Venice Accademia sometimes has a line, but there is no advance ticketing as far as I know; ditto the Doge's Palace and the Basilica. Get on line a good 45 minutes before the opening. You can make reservations for the Secret Itinerary tour of the Doge's Palace (includes the prisons and such) but your hotel can do that a day or two before. The S. Itinerary is an addition to the normal tour of the Doge's Palace rooms.