Scandinavia Travel Advice needed

Jul 4th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Brian

Scandinavia Travel Advice needed

My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Scandinavia in August. It will be our first trip to this part of the world and we are looking for tips that will make the trip more enjoyable. Things like how far in advance we need to make train reservations, if we need advance hotel resevations, sites that shouldn't be missed, restraunts that serve good, but affordable local food and any other advice that might come in handy. We will be in Copenhagen for about 3 days, Odense for 3 days, Stockholm for about 3 Days, and Oslo for about three days with a side trip to Bergen. Thank you for any advice or suggestions you may have.

Brian

Jul 4th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Geoff

Have a great time, it's a spectacular region.

Trains - you can get just about any train when ever you want it. You might not get the class that you want, or maybe not the exact time but even that is fairly rare. (and depends alot on the destinations) You can easily make the reservations 1-2 days in advance.

Hotels - accomodations are plentiful, you can wing it if you like, but it you want a particular hotel or area to stay in, make a reservation.

Sites to see - depends on your likes and dislikes, mostly just check the various guides since they'll give you the highlights. You're going to good places from what you list, you should have no problems.

Restaurants - I don't know that I like much of the "local food" as I'm very much not a seafood eater and like to experience exotic cuisine. My experience is first that there were many places in all of Scandinavia that were called "Thai" or "Vietnamese" that had things like Chicken and Broccoli, General Chow's chicken, Lo Mein, etc. that I consider Chinese and none of the dishes I associate with the other countries. Not that the food isn't good, just that it wasn't what I expected. In Copenhagen I really love Riz Raz, a volumnuous (sp?) mediteranean buffet. In Bergen Pasta Centralen is mostly self-service (sort of order at the counter and they'll call you) but the portions are huge and the food good. Huge value, but a little hard to find - it's sort of in a triangle median in the road but the entrance is at the back, look for the fresco. In Oslo you can get everything you ever wanted at Aker Brygge but some is pricey and made for the tourist market. I had some reasonable Indian food there at 'Agra', but it was neither bargain nor the most expensive. Perhaps this is a good place to have "traditional" local food at Lofoten Fiskerestaurant at the beginning of Aker Brygge - everyone says it's the best fish, but since it's not my taste I can't speak from experience. In Stavanger I totally recommend the Greek "Akropolis" restaurant, great atomosphere and food with dynamite service for the same price as most restaurants. I sort of don't recommend Cantina Mexicana for the food quality. I had absolutely great mexican in Helsingor at a buffet called Gringo's - it was not at all busy yet the spread was all out. I hope it survices as the food and service was very, very good.

Other advice: there's nothing wrong with Odense but even as a stopping point for day trips, I think 3 days may be too much. You may want to extend the time in/to/from Bergen.

Jul 4th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Daniel

Yes, 3 days in Odense is more than enough I think. 3 hours?
Egeskov Slot is a must. A great castle from 1554 in a pond surrounded by a garden. It is not so far from Odense.

Jul 5th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Anna

One day in Odense. Egeskov is a must-see, and there is also an interesting museum full of old cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles, an interesting maze, a nice restaurant for lunch with reasonably-priced "smørrebrod" (open-faced sandwiches), and a beautiful picnic grove. Also a "tree-top walk" (a walkway suspended high in the trees) The interesting thing about Egeskov is that a real Count and Countess actually live there with their two small children (could be three by now for all I know--I was there in 1999) Their kids leave their bikes out in the front yard just like mine.
Back in Odense---St. Knud's church (real honest-to-goodness 900-year-old dead saint and his brother in the basement), Hans Christian Andersen Museum, and an interesting train museum if you are a railroad buff.

Jul 6th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Denise

I agree with previous posters--one day (okay day and a half) in Odense would be more than enough. Take the extra time and go to Visby (fantastic medievel walled city) on the island of Gotland. You can take the ferry from Nynashamm.

Jul 10th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Brian

Thak you for all the feedback on my questions. I definatly get that three days is a lot of time in Odense. Unfortuanatly my girlfriend will be working in Odense those three days and that is the reason for the rest of the trip so the ammount of time there is really not flexable. Any other suggestions on places to go or things to see greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Brian

Jul 12th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Bud & Jane

You'll be pleasantly surprised
with "undiscovered by Americans"
Scandinavia. We saw very few US,
having just returned after a month in Norway, Sweden, & DK.
Most everyone speaks American
english, travel is easy, and the
people are beautiful (handsome).
Sweden was not really expensive,
as we were told. Our favorites:
unquestionably: the fjords,
Bergen, and Stockholm.
If you traveled by SAS, you should give serious thought to
travel by air, using their ex-
tended plan ($50-$75 each leg).
The people were very helpful
and kind to us.
Advice: arrive 2 full hours
ahead for int'l flights, keeping
in mind, your flight will surely
be overbooked (seriously) and
security can be very slow and
complete...even checked our shoes with the baggage machine.
You'll bring back some lovely
memories from your experiences.
We know you'll have a great trip!